PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN SCouts on Top Asst's to be HC's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the offense's strength is brady in the spread formation and i hope they have woken up to the realization they are not a power team and should utilize their strength more which is brady.

* The Patriots have never, and I doubt will ever with BB here, run the same O against every team. Every D is different and with some the spread O will work better than others.

That's the result of watching film over and over again to isolate the key weaknesses in an opponent. Remember how the TV pundits were shocked! when facing the then top run D of Minnesoter, we passed and passed? Quite an achievement given the modest at best talent of our WR corps. The flexibility of the coaches AND THE PLAYERS on this team is a remarkable distinguishing feature. Hopefully, that flexibility can be utilized to overcome a possibly more player talented team in the playoffs.

That's the result of watching film over and over again to isolate the key weaknesses in an opponent. Remember how the TV pundits were shocked! when facing the then top run D of Minnesoter, we passed and passed? Quite an achievement given the modest at best talent of our WR corps. The flexibility of the coaches AND THE PLAYERS on this team is a remarkable distinguishing feature. Hopefully, that flexibility can be utilized to overcome a possibly more player talented team in the playoffs.

This is my quote:

Originally Posted by MrBigglesWorth
I think the offense's strength is brady in the spread formation and i hope they have woken up to the realization they are not a power team and should utilize their strength more which is brady.

This was not posted by me: Posted by Patsteve

* The Patriots have never, and I doubt will ever with BB here, run the same O against every team. Every D is different and with some the spread O will work better than others.

To tell the truth I thought it would be Dean Pees, with his experience and great job he has done this year I would have him higher then McDaniels, at this point.

BTW: Whatever happened to hot college coaches getting HC jobs in the NFL ... talk about bad ideas ... that has cooled a bit.

I suspect that Steve Spurrier was what happened to it. :D

Umm the big problem with your second year expansion club comparison is Tom Brady who is an established 3 time Superbowl winner. Tom is the glue that keeps this offense together. This club responded when Tom called them out. A few weeks ago we were fumbling away balls all over the place and it looked like WE were the ones that wouldn't be able to beat a second year expansion club.

Josh Mcdaniels certainly has room to grow as a coordinator. But I'd have to attribute more of the offense's success to Brady's efforts and presence.

Well Gee Whiz,

Maybe its not so daffy a concept. My opinion that Josh McD merits some consideration for the Assistant Coach of the Year award (if such a award actually existed).

He has taken the equivalent of a second year expansion club's offensive roster, in terms of rooks, sophs and newcomers, unacquainted with each other, and the NFL like an expansion club usually is, and not only got it organized and playing like a team. But he got that collection of newbies (ten rooks, sophs or newbies) into an Offense in the top ten of the league.

Meanwhile our local critics complain about consistency? Its amazing that they are as consistent as they are !!

Think people ! How consistent and organized is the typical second year expansion club??

Its early for JM, but give him 4 or 5 more seasons to get to be an old man like Eric mangini, and HC offers will be queued on his doorstep. Just like Charlie Weis, the last incompetent High School coach to occupy the position. :cool:

To tell the truth I thought it would be Dean Pees, with his experience and great job he has done this year I would have him higher then McDaniels, at this point.

Me too. I like Pees, and the job he has done. With McDaniels getting recruited, it friggin baffles me how. I dunno if people want anything that's clsoe to BB or what, but man oh man running this team is brutal. Pretty soon BB is gonna have to have open tryouts for new coaches :]

Now we know who to blame chad jackson's faults on. I am being totally sracastic in this.

I can see based on the offensive performance with limited wr star talent how Josh could be viewed as good. But at the same time the game plan was clearly trying to force the run and IMO it didn't work too well. We've seen a shift the last two games to the spread formation with multiple wr's. Now if Josh still had Deion and Givens I would think this offense would be top 3 in the league and I could see him viewed as a big time rising star. But I think Brady has put as much input into the offense as JM.

I think it's an age thing too that helps him. Dan Pees has probably been a better Coord. but based on his age won't be viewed as a hot prospect.

As far as a "shift" to the spread formation do you think it is a possibility that the Pats now have enough receivers that can run enough compliment of Patriot plays to make that formation a reality?

Umm the big problem with your second year expansion club comparison is Tom Brady who is an established 3 time Superbowl winner. Tom is the glue that keeps this offense together. This club responded when Tom called them out. A few weeks ago we were fumbling away balls all over the place and it looked like WE were the ones that wouldn't be able to beat a second year expansion club.

Josh Mcdaniels certainly has room to grow as a coordinator. But I'd have to attribute more of the offense's success to Brady's efforts and presence.

Hey I'm not going to berate Brady's effect on the club, but "calling the team out" while I agree with it...not sure how you give Brady the "credit" for the Pats offensive success. Now if I misread your post I apologize. I think Josh is doing a good job with the players he has....top team in Red ZOne....high O ranking....stats don't always mean everything but Red ZOne is one that DOES mean something.

The turnovers were KILLING the Pats. If Brady can magically make the Pats not fumble by calling them out then I will fully credit Brady for the offense....but he was also responsible for many turnovers during this time....probably his "covert" way of getting more credit:D

Hey I'm not going to berate Brady's effect on the club, but "calling the team out" while I agree with it...not sure how you give Brady the "credit" for the Pats offensive success. Now if I misread your post I apologize. I think Josh is doing a good job with the players he has....top team in Red ZOne....high O ranking....stats don't always mean everything but Red ZOne is one that DOES mean something.

The turnovers were KILLING the Pats. If Brady can magically make the Pats not fumble by calling them out then I will fully credit Brady for the offense....but he was also responsible for many turnovers during this time....probably his "covert" way of getting more credit:D

I believe it was McDaniels who told them not to fumble anymore.

HC material, right there.

I would be thrilled if someone picked up McDaniels as their HC.

For the record, I agree and have said that JM needs 4 -5 years more experience before being considerd a HC candidate. I thought I said that in my original post.

As to the criticism that an expansdion club doesn't usually have a vet QB, I beg to differ. Most do but the guy isn't usually a very good one. So you are correct take Brady and 10 newbies and you can get something. But with out a good OC, I doubt tha Brady and ten arbitrary newcomers would be a top ten Offense.

I don't see it this year, but if we have comparable success next year, he will definitely be a consideration.. I do not have a problem with anything this man has done, as what he does is done in a context of the Pats org. From developing a game plan, with the input of coaches, BB, #12, #14 & #16, and then calling the game which is overseen by BB and the coaches in the booth. There have been bumps in the road, but we are 12-4 and we have had some excellent game plans and game calling.. very little to complain about and complete confidence this team could be playing in February.

Josh continues to improve in every aspect of the game. BB has a long history of being able to spot coaching talent and develop the coaches he finds. Despite another season of attack threads, Josh is peaking entering the post-season with a balanced offense capable of shifting from power to finesse, oft times without a major change of personnel.

Not only that, but Belichick jr, er, excuse me, Saban has also bombed.

How do you see Saban as having bombed? Last season he got his team to overachieve and people developed unreal expectations about this year's squad. This season, his #1 quarterback tried to come back from injury before he was fully healthy, and ended up out for much of the season. 6-10 isn't particularly impressive, but it's 6-10 in the toughest division in football, without the starting quarterback. It's not as if the Dolphins ended up 3-13.

He's gone 15-17 over two seasons. Before his arrival, the Dolphins had gone 4-12. And somehow he's been able to go 2-2 against the Patriots. So, it's not as if he hasn't improved the team even with the unsettled quarterback situation. He may not be lighting the world on fire, but he's not been a bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back