PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Pats stole offensive signals too

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to quit thinking about this until Tuesday . . . the only concern is if Jolly Roger said to Belichick "did you ever tape offensive signals" and Belichick said "no". Then it could get sticky.

But that's all stuff I made up, just a possibility, a worst case possibility.

What if Goodell never thought to ask about offensive signals?

Plus if the RULE wasn't in affect until 2006 then anything done prior to can't be punishable.

Last edited:
"(It) contains shots of Miami's offensive coaches signaling Miami's offensive players, followed by a shot from the end zone camera of Miami's offensive play, followed by a shot of Miami's offensive coaches signaling Miami's offensive players for the next play, then edited to be followed by a shot of the subsequent Miami offensive play," Levy told ESPN. "And that pattern repeats throughout the entire tape, with occasional cuts to the scoreboard."

http://www.kctv5.com/sports/16214160/detail.html?rss=kan&psp=news

So this obviously was carefully edited & therefore not intended for use DURING the actual game.

Last edited:
Trying to disect the meanings is tough but I read this :

"The rule which the Patriots violated was the policy that prohibits use of equipment for the taping of offensive or defense signals. I know there've been references to defensive signals, which is more logical. But let us look at the tapes and verify what is on there."

As saying taping any signals violates the same rule therefore no additional rules have been violated based on offensive signals and no additional punishment is needed. That's how I read it.

They're looking for the mythical walk through tape so until it magically appears there's no reason to expect additional penalties here.

When the Patriots were penalized for videotaping Jets defensive signals in the season opener last September, Belichick claimed he had misinterpreted the rule and told NFL commissioner Roger Goodell that he had taped defensive signals of opposing coaches throughout his coaching tenure. However, Belichick did not admit to taping offensive signals to Goodell according to a league official.

http://www.courant.com/sports/football/patriots/hc-patriots0508.artmay08,0,3187487.story?track=rss

This article doesn't include offensive signals :confused:

"Commissioner Goodell determined last September that the Patriots had violated league rules by videotaping opposing coaches' defensive signals during the Patriots games throughout Bill Belichick's tenure as head coach," the statement said. "Coach Belichick admitted to his use of the taping practice on a regular basis as a result of what he said was his misinterpretation of the rule."

And then there's this:

After this year’s Super Bowl, Goodell met with Specter and revealed for the first time that Belichick’s illegal signal filming dated to the beginning of his tenure with the Patriots, in 2000. Some accounts said Belichick admitted to taping defensive signals, others just signals in general.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/sports/football/08nfl.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe