PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN officially becomes The Onion with their new power rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I am not going to post the link, so that no one will give them clicks. I actually saw the rankings on Facebook with a bunch of people getting bent out of shape. This may be the silliest, most idiotic power rankings I can recall:

1. Green Bay Packers (previously no. 6). By all means the Packers played a poor game and may have shown the most concerning overall performance of all the contenders. They had a good chance to lose to a terrible Jacksonville team and barely held on. They jumped up 5 spots to the top spot.

2. New England Patriots (previously no. 3). The Patriots rose one spot. This might be the only one on here that seems about right on its actual number, although I'm not sure why they'd get leapfrogged by the Packers, who played a much worse team and showed major concerns on defense. We all know the Packers and Patriots have great offenses. One team's defense looked awesome; the other defense looked awful. Packers also won the turnover battle while Patriots were -2.

3. Seattle Seahawks (previously no. 2). Seahawks drop one spot for a very underwhelming, last minute home win against the Miami Dolphins. I get it that a team usually drops a spot or two when they win but in an ugly game, but their positioning is totally inconsistent with what's about to follow.

4. Pittsburgh Steelers (previously no. 2). Yet the Steelers drop, yes drop, TWO spots after a totally dominating win on the road against a Washington team that is supposed to be average. They were also leapfrogged by Green Bay, whose performance was nowhere near as strong as Pittsburgh's performance. They dropped more than Seattle, who deserved to drop lower. Arguably, they shouldn't have been jumped by the Patriots either.

5. Arizona Cardinals (previously no. 4). Yes, you saw this correctly. The Arizona Cardinals were assessed a better adjustment than the Steelers after losing at home to a team that had about a third of its salary cap out. The Cardinals dropped only one spot.

6. Carolina Panthers (previously no. 5). On what planet would the Panthers now rank below the Cardinals? The Panthers were the better team last year and lost to the defending SB Champs in a rematch in the toughest stadium in the NFL, by a point. I can see downgrading them, but below the Cardinals?

7. Houston Texans (previously no. 20). Yes, the Houston Texans are the seventh best team in the NFL, ahead of the defending SB champions who just beat a previously 15-1 team again. After playing arguably the worst team in the NFL - the Bears - at home and trailing in the fourth quarter, the Texans jump 13 spots.

8. Denver Broncos (previously no. 8). It takes a lot to move up in these rankings..well, unless you are the Houston Texans or Green Bay Packers, for some reason. The defending champs take care of business. They beat a great Panthers team at home in a close one, but they get jumped (as well as 12 other teams) by the Texans, who beat a really crummy Bears team at home in a close one. The Broncos are seven spots below the Packers (what!!!), two spots below the Panthers, who they just beat again (huh!!), and three spots below the Cardinals (scratching head.)

9, Cincinnati Bengals (previously no. 7). The Bengals went on the road and beat a 9-7 team despite not having their star tight end and overcoming seven sacks, although their offensive line remains among the league's best and won't likely repeat that performance. They have also won the division two of the last three years and made the playoffs the last four. So, it makes perfect sense that they would drop 2 spots. They remain, along with the Broncos, chasing down the mighty Houston Texans. Prior to Sunday, the Packers were 6 and the Bengals were 7. The Bengals played well and dropped two spots; the Packers played a lesser version of well and jumped five spots.

They even admit the Packers played a poor game. Yet still couldn't man up and simply put the Pats #1.

Not that these rankings matter in the slightest bit...

lol what the ****?

1. Broncos (defending Champs defense still can win them games)
2. Patriots
3. Steelers
4. Packers
5. Seahawks

Yeah those rankings are a joke. Green Bay one but didn't look good, But the Jaguars aren't a terrible team

You know, as bad as the Packers looked I think they're still in the driver's seat in the NFC just because of who they play -- they already had an absurdly easy schedule before Teddy Bridgewater went down.

But yeah, that's silly stuff overall. It's not often that the Steelers are underrated.

Aren't the rankings the result of many people voting?
If so, that explains dumb movements. If not, someone should be fired.

It's a power ranking after one week of football. It means nothing. They could have used a lottery-style ping pong ball system, for all anyone should care.

This is the new NFL where scores don't matter. You just ask people what they think of the teams.

Yeah those rankings are a joke. Green Bay one but didn't look good, But the Jaguars aren't a terrible team
I agree. The Jaguars aren't a terrible team anymore. Their defense has continued to improved from laughing stock to serviceable with Gus Bradley, and Allen Robinson is a monster at W;, they just don't have a dependable ground game in my opinion.

The Packers over the Steelers is a joke. I'm fine with us @ #2 or lower, especially without Brady, but OP is dead on, it doesn't make sense. The Jaguars are a darling to take the AFCS right now but that doesn't mean they're so much better than the Skins as to make the Packers win as impressive as ours was.

except that the packers moved up 6 positions for beating the jags.....they passed other teams with more impressive wins
Of course. Just saying Pats would be #1 if TB12 was QB.

Aren't the rankings the result of many people voting?
If so, that explains dumb movements. If not, someone should be fired.

That would be more perplexing. Do people in Green Bay even have computers? Just kidding

maybe........don't get how the packers passed the steelers

Its nonsensical just like these ratings.

Steelers looked good last night. I expected more from the Skins.

Keep in mind that the Packers were playing in 100+ degree heat. I think that greatly attributed to their poor play throughout the game.

The last 5 people out there who still assign any kind of credibility to ESPN Power Rankings can definitely stop now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back