PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Elite Defense if no major injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Last year our defense looked really good in the first few weeks. Highly praised Armstead never played a snap. Then Wilfork went down. Then Kelly. Then Mayo. Then Talib. All of a sudden our defense was decimated by injuries.

You could see a lot of potential on Defense, and I couldn't help but think how good they wouldve been if they didn't lose that many players to injury.

Now we've replaced Talib with Revis, who is arguably the best CB in the entire league.
Signed Brandon Browner which adds size and strength to a deep secondary unit.
We also added Dominique Easley in the 1st rd. He's a bit of a question mark for the beginning of the year, but he should contribute around mid-end year and provide the DLine with a hungry interior pass rusher. Pats should be able to play strong man-coverage.

I expect Mayo to return to full strength and not miss a step.

Wilfork may never be as dominant as he once was, but I expect him to still be a pivotal part of the run game.

Collins looked amazing in the playoffs last year. His development should continue and he could be the best Linebacker on the team.

Hightower is moving to his more natural MLB spot since Spikes is gone.

Could we have an Elite Defense if they stay healthy?

To be perfectly honest @MrNathanDrake, it's too difficult to know without seeing the progress of Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo and without knowing how the new players are going to integrate with the established veterans.

The DBs alone can make this a top 5 D. But the front needs to be healthy.

The Dbs will help out the Dline. Receivers open 2 seconds later = plenty of sacks

Can't put it all on the back end. BTW can somebody remind me what mayo injury was n how serious. With health n a couple tweaks I c no reason y this can't b a top 6 Defense.

Hightower needs to play at 255 at the most. This is a passing league n league of qb sprinters. Look how packer Defense was gutted 4 like 200 yards rushing by a qb. Aside from the passing game that requires MLB's 2 drop n b quick 2 close on rb's te's n even wr's in the passing game, your lb's MUST b able 2 cut off a darting qb n try 2 prevent the first down or at least cut him off n prevent the big long run. Chances r if we should make the Superbowl we Weill play sf or the hawks. Those qbs can n will drop over 100 yards on u including game changing plays. Every elite 4-3 lb is 235-250. There r none playing at 270. Hightower must gain a couple steps if he is 2 take his game to the next level and at least honorable mention when listing the best lbs.

Jones should add 10-15 lbs of muscle and maybe even lean out by 10 lbs. He is almost there as an elite rusher. Half step quicker n a little stronger I think shows up in his game. He is good,but shut down way to often. He works hard with his brother who knows the advantage of being as strong as u can at your most productive weight ratio.

Collins is plenty lean n quick,he just needs 10-12 lbs of muscle. He is explosive,athletic n powerful 4 his weight already. A little more muscle n he could hit double digit sacks from his old spot. Not many teams would stop him on a blitz.

This may seem a stretch but the r young growing athletes. Losing 10-15pounds of bodyfat and adding 10 lbs of muscle isn't out of question or time consuming and is amazing how much stronger and more effective small tweaks in nutrition/training makes. i seen many non athletes training for first time add 10-15 lbs of muscle in well under a year so its very easy for young athletes who r still growing. Rookie Zach Moore is big strong, athletic n powerful looking. Just a pinch of fine tuning himself could make him a major player by January. These guys added with the most explosive penetrating DT we ever had n very real potential is there for the most disruptive pressure the Defense ever put on opposing qbs. I also believe IMHO Browner is a natural all pro at ss. Browner improved himself athletically becoming leaner faster stronger big time in going from a cfl to NFL pro bowl so he should b able to help the young guys who r so close to major impacts.

Hightower is moving to his more natural MLB spot since Spikes is gone.

On paper, this defense looks better than last year, so yes--there is obvious potential to be top 5.

I'm not sure if Hightower will play at the Mike though, as there are plenty of reasons to have Mayo move back to MLB, and play Collins at weak side. That should allow them both to play to their strengths more.

I imagine that we'll see different lineups with the LBs.

Can't put it all on the back end. BTW can somebody remind me what mayo injury was n how serious.

Jerod Mayo tore his pectoral muscle and is still not back to full health. Hopefully he will be by training camp, although I wouldn't be surprised to see them take it easy with him for awhile. Obviously, we all hope that he's back to full strength by the end of camp.

The DT's are so very very important this year. We have FOUR that are big question marks going into the season.

Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, and Easley..... All coming off season ending health issues.

If they can produce at a high level than we should be alright.

The DT's are so very very important this year. We have FOUR that are big question marks going into the season.

Wilfork, Kelly, Armstead, and Easley..... All coming off season ending health issues.

If they can produce at a high level than we should be alright.

I think we should be 'alright' and in a much better place than last season if we are realistically expecting 2 of the 4 to contribute throughout the season. I don't see why expecting 2/4 wouldn't be reasonable. Anything else will be a major bonus.

We need good play in the winter months, so that should allow for the healing of some of these players on the mend, even if they don't start the season.

Simply dropping 15lbs fat I believe makes Hightower a wrecking machine. He would still b 255 which is huge while putting sizzle in his burst. He could b as explosive as guys weighing 240 but at 255 could hit like a patriot missile. I mean he runs a 4.65 so its there,just needs that burst. Like I said slight tweaks/improvements to players and this Defense is special. Nix would have been great and cheaper option with so many questions to wilfork. I like Louis nix's personality a lot to. Loose/fun/very confident/humble. But I think Vince at least occupys blocks decently while creating space for Dominique.

Depends on a couple things:
- Can Will Smith or another DE step up as a viable rotational guy and take enough snaps from Nink/Jones?
- Can Wilfork/Kelly/Easley/Jones/Siliga/Armstead in any combination give us an effective interior?

If the answer to those are yes, I don't see why they aren't a top 5 defense. The first one shouldn't be so difficult, but I'm still unsure about DT. Leaning towards yes on both by season's end.

Can't put it all on the back end. BTW can somebody remind me what mayo injury was n how serious. With health n a couple tweaks I c no reason y this can't b a top 6 Defense.

Hightower needs to play at 255 at the most. This is a passing league n league of qb sprinters. Look how packer Defense was gutted 4 like 200 yards rushing by a qb. Aside from the passing game that requires MLB's 2 drop n b quick 2 close on rb's te's n even wr's in the passing game, your lb's MUST b able 2 cut off a darting qb n try 2 prevent the first down or at least cut him off n prevent the big long run. Chances r if we should make the Superbowl we Weill play sf or the hawks. Those qbs can n will drop over 100 yards on u including game changing plays. Every elite 4-3 lb is 235-250. There r none playing at 270. Hightower must gain a couple steps if he is 2 take his game to the next level and at least honorable mention when listing the best lbs.

Jones should add 10-15 lbs of muscle and maybe even lean out by 10 lbs. He is almost there as an elite rusher. Half step quicker n a little stronger I think shows up in his game. He is good,but shut down way to often. He works hard with his brother who knows the advantage of being as strong as u can at your most productive weight ratio.

Collins is plenty lean n quick,he just needs 10-12 lbs of muscle. He is explosive,athletic n powerful 4 his weight already. A little more muscle n he could hit double digit sacks from his old spot. Not many teams would stop him on a blitz.

This may seem a stretch but the r young growing athletes. Losing 10-15pounds of bodyfat and adding 10 lbs of muscle isn't out of question or time consuming and is amazing how much stronger and more effective small tweaks in nutrition/training makes. i seen many non athletes training for first time add 10-15 lbs of muscle in well under a year so its very easy for young athletes who r still growing. Rookie Zach Moore is big strong, athletic n powerful looking. Just a pinch of fine tuning himself could make him a major player by January. These guys added with the most explosive penetrating DT we ever had n very real potential is there for the most disruptive pressure the Defense ever put on opposing qbs. I also believe IMHO Browner is a natural all pro at ss. Browner improved himself athletically becoming leaner faster stronger big time in going from a cfl to NFL pro bowl so he should b able to help the young guys who r so close to major impacts.

Agree somewhat on Hightower. Although I read somewhere last year that he said BB wanted him around 270lbs.

Jones just came out yesterday and said he's mostly focused on working his lower body this off season. I'm not worried so much about his numbers. Last off season he focused on getting stronger on his upper body. That worked. Now I think he's looking for more explosion.

Collins after getting a full off season in a NFL nutrition program should be fine.

Putting Browner at SS full time not a good idea. He's at his best when he's jamming his man at the line.

I think this defense has the potential of being one of the best in the BB era. Of course its only May still, but when healthy last year, our D won us games while the offense was struggling.

The defense certainly has a lot of the pieces. It will be fun hearing about these guys in camp, and getting our first glimpse in the preseason. It's always fun to sift through vague, anecdotal accounts of TC from the local writers.

Each level of the defense has its own story and questions that will unravel before us. How good will the linebackers be? Is there enough depth? How good will the CB's really be? Who will be playing safety? We have so much CB depth. Will the DL pieces fall into place? How will veterans Will Smith and Tommy Kelly contribute? Will Wilfork be his old self? What about the youngsters in Vellano, Chris Jones, and Buchanon? Will our 1st rounder be ready week 1? How good will he be? And does Armstead even exist?

It will be a good defense, and we'll need it to be. The offense will be in slightly better shape than last year, but that's not saying much. Our rivals all made improvements this offseason. The Broncos, Jets, Dolphins, and Ravens all got stronger.

Bring it on.

It really is just dependant on how Wilfork, Mayo and Kelly do coming off some big injuries. Torn pectorals and Achilles are tough to come back from and, pectorals especially, are really prone to repeating themselves...more so than a lot of other injuries.

The secondary is better. If the performance of the front seven at the beginning of last season is anything to go by then yes, if those guys come back and don't miss much of step if any at all, this absolutely has that potential.

If everyone comes back at at least 85% of what they were pre-injury then I'd be disappointed if it isn't a top 5 defense, if they come back 100% then they should be challenging for the #1 defense.

Some more LB depth would be nice, hopefully Anderson gets signed after June 1st because rotation is going to be the key to both health and keeping a high level of play.

It can be elite. It all depends on a few factors...

1. Progression of Buchanan. Can he be able to consistently get on the field and rush the passer without pushing too far upfield and leaving a wide open running lane?

2. Does Smith have anything left in the tank? Nink and Chandler need to play a lesser percentage of snaps this season. It was obvious they wore down near the end in 2013. Buchanan and Will Smith will need to step up to get them off the field for a few downs while still being able to provide a consistent pass rush.

3. One of Wilfork or Kelly (but preferably both) return to being somewhat close to their previous selves. I'm not going to count on both returning to their previous selves, since I highly doubt Wilfork will ever be the same again, but one of those guys needs to come back strong to help the defense.

4. Can Armstead and Easley be counted on to consistently get push against the pass from the 3-tech? If so, the interior pass rush could be dangerous.

5. Will Collins improve and show that he's capable of being a three down LB? This should pretty much speak for itself.

6. Will the safety play across from McCourty (be it Harmon or Ryan) improve?

7. Will Dennard be an upgrade from Arrington as the nickel CB? Hard to see that NOT being an upgrade. Dennard is much more physical in bump and run which is exactly what you need against these smaller, shiftier, slot receivers.

And, above all else, health will also be somewhat important.

It can be elite. It all depends on a few factors...

1. Progression of Buchanan. Can he be able to consistently get on the field and rush the passer without pushing too far upfield and leaving a wide open running lane?

2. Does Smith have anything left in the tank? Nink and Chandler need to play a lesser percentage of snaps this season. It was obvious they wore down near the end in 2013. Buchanan and Will Smith will need to step up to get them off the field for a few downs while still being able to provide a consistent pass rush.

3. One of Wilfork or Kelly (but preferably both) return to being somewhat close to their previous selves. I'm not going to count on both returning to their previous selves, since I highly doubt Wilfork will ever be the same again, but one of those guys needs to come back strong to help the defense.

4. Can Armstead and Easley be counted on to consistently get push against the pass from the 3-tech? If so, the interior pass rush could be dangerous.

5. Will Collins improve and show that he's capable of being a three down LB? This should pretty much speak for itself.

6. Will the safety play across from McCourty (be it Harmon or Ryan) improve?

7. Will Dennard be an upgrade from Arrington as the nickel CB? Hard to see that NOT being an upgrade. Dennard is much more physical in bump and run which is exactly what you need against these smaller, shiftier, slot receivers.

And, above all else, health will also be somewhat important.

I think the progression of one of the young linebackers needs to be added to this list. Whether it's Beauharnais or an UDFA like Cameron Gordon, they need someone to step up. It's scary how bad their linebacker depth appears to be. They will need someone not named Collins, Mayo and Hightower to get some snaps, and potentially a lot of snaps. This is assuming they don't add anyone between now and the start of the season.

To answer the questioned posed in the OP, I think they very well could be elite. The addition of Revis alone should elevate the defense as a whole. He makes the pass rush better. He obviously gives them a shutdown corner, which makes everyone else in the secondary better.

The only thing that scares me is that linebacker depth. It really could undermine everything.

I think the progression of one of the young linebackers needs to be added to this list. Whether it's Beauharnais or an UDFA like Cameron Gordon, they need someone to step up. It's scary how bad their linebacker depth appears to be. They will need someone not named Collins, Mayo and Hightower to get some snaps, and potentially a lot of snaps. This is assuming they don't add anyone between now and the start of the season.

To answer the questioned posed in the OP, I think they very well could be elite. The addition of Revis alone should elevate the defense as a whole. He makes the pass rush better. He obviously gives them a shutdown corner, which makes everyone else in the secondary better.

The only thing that scares me is that linebacker depth. It really could undermine everything.
The lack of quality LB depth is the reason why many of us wanted the Pats to aggressively pursue D'Qwell Jackson. It may also be that they're planning at using one of the safeties in a hybrid role, but I'm not sure how much confidence I have in Chung on the field getting increased snaps, even in the box.

Our pass rush will absolutely make or break this defense this year.

I think it's pretty simple, stay healthy, and get pressure on the QB, and this will be a top 5 D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft