PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eliot Wolf given new title: Director of Scouting

I will go to my deathbed believing Eliot Wolf was the new person in the room that made the difference last year in the draft. I said that then and will continue to say it...but not in the same fashion our beloved DKF.....geesh.
Wolf started with the team in March of 2020 so he probably didn't have much say in the drafting at the time. He likely DID play a roll in 2021 along with Groh.

It will be interesting to see how they do going forward with WR and CB. Both of which have been more miss than hit for the Pats.

Long overdue? The guy has 2 years with the team. SMH.. You act like he's been held back by the team for 5 years or something.

Go ahead and share the salaries of the Patriots front office guys and coaches since you seem to know them and think that BB skimps on them. BTW, that's a trope from the as$H**e Globe brigade stemming from stories from 30 years ago when BB as an DC. If you think it goes on today, you're fooling yourself.

It’s been nearly a year since his spectacular 2021 draft! Long overdue!

I agree with you about the long overdue comment. Wolf is still new to the team. What is your opinion of him?

Well, judging Front Office people from other teams is always hard unless they make really ridiculous moves. When you look at the drafts that he likely had a hand in for the Packers (2010-2017) there are some definite standouts. The Packers had an off-draft in 2016 and 2017 wasn't great after the rounds 1 & 2. Wolf was employed by the Browns from Jan 2018 through Jan 2020. He supposedly helped Dorsey with 2 drafts there.

Bulaga, Quarless, Tretter, Cobb, Bahktari, Casey Haywerd, Micah Hyde, Eddie Lacy, Davante Adams, Blake Martinez, Aaron Jones, Mayfield, Chubb, Greedy Williams and Denzel Ward.

So, if he had an influence in the Pats 2021 draft, then it's a step in the right direction and I can only hope that the combination of Him and Groh with BB continue to hit like they did last year.

I also hope that, for BBs, sake, they hit on WR so that it turns out the bad ones were because McDaniels pushed for them and BB went with wanting to please his top Offensive Coach despite the fact that McDaniels history of WR valuation is horrible outside of Eric Decker.

Well, judging Front Office people from other teams is always hard unless they make really ridiculous moves. When you look at the drafts that he likely had a hand in for the Packers (2010-2017) there are some definite standouts. The Packers had an off-draft in 2016 and 2017 wasn't great after the rounds 1 & 2. Wolf was employed by the Browns from Jan 2018 through Jan 2020. He supposedly helped Dorsey with 2 drafts there.

Bulaga, Quarless, Tretter, Cobb, Bahktari, Casey Haywerd, Micah Hyde, Eddie Lacy, Davante Adams, Blake Martinez, Aaron Jones, Mayfield, Chubb, Greedy Williams and Denzel Ward.

So, if he had an influence in the Pats 2021 draft, then it's a step in the right direction and I can only hope that the combination of Him and Groh with BB continue to hit like they did last year.

I also hope that, for BBs, sake, they hit on WR so that it turns out the bad ones were because McDaniels pushed for them and BB went with wanting to please his top Offensive Coach despite the fact that McDaniels history of WR valuation is horrible outside of Eric Decker.
Some recognizable player names there for sure...thank you for putting that together. I'd like to think he has a talent for evaluating players but I have to admit some of that feeling may be because of his dad.

I also think Groh is valuable in this process. I'm happy he is with the team.

Regarding McDaniels...I agree that part of the issue with drafting WR's has fallen on his shoulders but I also think Caserio is partly to blame as well (I am not intentionally blaming those who are no longer with the team...it's just that I've Always felt they both are mostly to blame for giving BB their strong options on players who we should not have drafted).

Thanks....good stuff.

What about Parker? Was he involved in drafting him?

I am still waiting for that call from BB or Wolf to join their staff to evaluate WRs and CBs....:rolleyes:

It’s easy to get on board with the young guy after last years draft. Not sure how much influence he had but I did read the article that he was involved with the Barmore deal. How much of it was orchestrated by Wolf is up for debate. I’m definitely enthusiastic about keeping him here and glad he is staying around. His dad was an amazing executive that I do admire quite a bit. The Raiders in the 70’s and Packers in the 90’s, hell he even helped the lowly Buccaneers make it to the nfc championship game. Thats a lot of knowledge that hopefully Elliot was able to retain. Love the move by the Pats.

Isn’t Grohl the one primarily building the team? Wolf is more the draft guy.

What struck me was the age of everyone....all young. Is that by design? Did Kraft say get young blood in there for new ideas ? I can't stand telegraphing our next play with our formation whether it be with a FB or a blocking only WR. At least move away from the 1920's "we have a full back and we are going to run...try to stop it".

Don't get me wrong...I like the idea of younger talent evaluators. I just hope Bill isn't overriding all their hard work and ideas. Last years draft gives me hope.
Didn't I read something here about the Pats possibly not using a FB?

My concern is Pitt is filling in a new GM right after the draft.

I believe Wolfe was heavily involved in the success of last year's draft so this is a nice stepup/reward for a job well done. If he can repeat his performance in a year where the Patriots draft needs have been exposed due to their first round knockout to the Bills AND losing two significant free agents, well he will have more than earned his keep. Hopefully it was draft skill/acumen and not just blind luck last year. We'll see. :excited:

Long overdue? The guy has 2 years with the team. SMH.. You act like he's been held back by the team for 5 years or something.

Go ahead and share the salaries of the Patriots front office guys and coaches since you seem to know them and think that BB skimps on them. BTW, that's a trope from the as$H**e Globe brigade stemming from stories from 30 years ago when BB as an DC. If you think it goes on today, you're fooling yourself.
What do you do for a living? Just curious why you're always so aggressively argumentative. Professional Yelp reviewer?

Love to see this. The draft last year was a home run - sitting pretty and still getting Mac in the first, then trading up in the second and grabbing an instant playmaker in Barmore, plus another year 1 starting-caliber player in Stevenson... plus they also have McGrone and Bledsoe coming off of essentially redshirt years, so the class may end up looking even better if either of those guys pan out.

Shows they value Wolf and are essentially making him a sort of tandem with Groh - if they continue to be successful then one or both of these guys might be GMs in a couple years, but that's the game. I was definitely pleased with the results last year, though it's unclear how much the loss of Ziegler will have an impact.

Good to see that they decided he's worth keeping around even when they have to actually pay him. He's been getting paid primarily by the Browns for the past couple of seasons, but that contract is finally expiring so it was clear that a move was going to have to happen to get him back into a traditional role.

Now I'm just stuck trying to figure out the difference between the Assistant Director of Player Personnel title that they've used before and Wolf's new Director of Scouting title. Did they want to pay him at the director level and just needed a different title from Groh's? I could see how the contract side of things isn't specifically scouting, but scouting is very much a part of that too.

Good to see that they decided he's worth keeping around even when they have to actually pay him. He's been getting paid primarily by the Browns for the past couple of seasons, but that contract is finally expiring so it was clear that a move was going to have to happen to get him back into a traditional role.

Now I'm just stuck trying to figure out the difference between the Assistant Director of Player Personnel title that they've used before and Wolf's new Director of Scouting title. Did they want to pay him at the director level and just needed a different title from Groh's? I could see how the contract side of things isn't specifically scouting, but scouting is very much a part of that too.
Not sure either. I think the eliminated the title for now.

I think Cargile and Williams roll up to Wolf who reports to Groh.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back