PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Elephant in the Room -- Tom Brady's Mental block in big games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice post, but it's the same thing myself and others have tried to convey throughout this monstrosity. The hope is that those who say Brady "choked" or has a "mental block" will educate themselves and realize the irrationality of such ignorantly simplistic claims. Sadly, the game's sheer complexity eludes them.

The old adage you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink also applies to the jackass...

Actually it's more sad and embarrassing than funny...when it's allowed to pollute the forum to the tune of 26 pages.

Think of it as idiocy containment.

Think of it as idiocy containment.

Isn't that what we have the Practice Squad forum for? I think mods were asleep at the wheel not moving this thread there with the OP.

LOL Some of you guys just care more about pointing at a single scapegoat for your crushing disappointment than you do actually understanding how something like that ever happens.

Obviously you can't read...i never said brady was the single reason the pats have failed since 04'. It's him and the coaching staff ...those are the two biggest reasons.

What's your excuse for brady's safety in SB 46? How about the pick to blackburn - where he threw it to a guy who had a high ankle sprain? The less than accurate throw to welker? On the contrary some of you are blaming everyone BUT brady.

You can continue to defend brady with every tooth and nail you got, but his legacy is waning. The rest of the nation knows it too.

Obviously you can't read...i never said brady was the single reason the pats have failed since 04'. It's him and the coaching staff ...those are the two biggest reasons.

What's your excuse for brady's safety in SB 46? How about the pick to blackburn - where he threw it to a guy who had a high ankle sprain? The less than accurate throw to welker? On the contrary some of you are blaming everyone BUT brady.

You can continue to defend brady with every tooth and nail you got, but his legacy is waning. The rest of the nation knows it too.

Nobody denies that he hasn't made his share of mistakes...but...mistakes are part of the game. It doesn't matter if you are talking about the Brady in 2001-2004 or the current Brady, they both made mistakes. The difference was a complete team around him that covered those mistakes. The idea that Brady was the perfect mistake free quarterback is a myth. He never was and the same is true of every other quarterback out there.

Now you're adding fuel to the fire of your own nonsense. Brady makes mistakes, therefore he's a "choker" or has a "mental block" and his "legacy is waning." :confused: (Don't let things like his setting an NFL record for most consecutive Super Bowl completions in SB 46, eviscerating Houston, etc., dissuade you.)

Elsewhere in this thread, Deus Irae documented Joe Montana's playoff failings, which look abjectly pitiful compared to Brady's. How did his "legacy" pan out? Yes, Tom Brady is imperfect. But he's not nearly as flawed as the premise of this thread vainly suggests.

Now, carry on with your self-immolation, if you must.

See, this is the problem. You seem to think you're giving us the rosetta stone when you're giving us nothing at all. In Both Super Bowls post '04, Tom Brady has led his team to the go-ahead scores in the 4th quarter.

In 2007, the Patriots took the lead with less than 3 minutes to go. It's not Brady's fault that Tyree made the helmet catch, the officials didn't call obvious holding calls, Samuel missed an INT opportunity and the coaching staff called an all-out-blitz that Manning knew was coming. In 2011, the Patriots took the lead early in the 3rd quarter. It's not Brady's fault that there were key drops after that.

It's a team game and the offenses struggled in those games, but Brady wasn't tossing out a pick-6 in the Super Bowl, unlike Manning. He was leading comeback drives.

Mistakes and lack of execution were the two biggest reasons. Coaches don't blow coverage or throw picks or drop passes or miss tackles.

Lousy field position exacerbated by a foolish play call because we can't run the damn ball when we need to and losing the battle on the LOS all contributed to that safety. If the guy with the high ankle sprain is in the game and designated as his first read... The throw to Welker was beyond catchable, he simply didn't. Some of you refuse to blame anyone but Brady.

His legacy is already etched in stone, numbnuts. The rest of the nation is largely made up of fans of other teams who can only dream of having a first ballot HOF QB at the top of their roster for 12 years and counting with the end still not in sight. It's only a handful of malcontents here who can't grasp that because they are clueless about the nature of the team game they claim to follow.

Incredible...

5 SBs + 2 other AFC championship games in 12 years with Brady starting. That's just INCREDIBLE ! We're spoiled....

Comparables:

Montana: 4 SBs + 1 other AFC Championship game in 13 years starting
Elway: 5 SBs + 1 other AFC Championship game in 16 years starting
J. Kelly: 4 SBs + 1 other AFC Championship game in 11 years starting
Aikman: 3 SBs + 1 other NFC Championship game in 11 years starting
Bradshaw: 4 SBs + 2 other AFC Championship games in 14 years starting
Staubach: 4 SBS + 2 other NFC Championship games in 8 years starting
Griese: 3 SBs in 13 years starting
Tarkenton: 3 SBs + 18 years starting
P. Manning: 2 SBs + 1 other AFC Championship gams in 14 years starting

Brady is VERY VERY HIGH on the list (when you factor than most QB don't win or go to SBs in their first few years and Staubach was a starting QB at 29)

SPOILED !!!

Great point, Brady is in serious danger of going down in history as only the 2nd greatest player of all time.

There's also a possibility that a supermodel may make 2 billion dollars someday, and Brady would have only married the first billionaire supermodel, and not the world's first 2 billion dollar supermodel. Sucks being Brady that's for sure.

Incredible...

5 SBs + 2 other AFC championship games in 12 years with Brady starting. That's just INCREDIBLE ! We're spoiled....

11 years. 2008 doesn't count. :)

See, this is the problem. You seem to think you're giving us the rosetta stone when you're giving us nothing at all. In Both Super Bowls post '04, Tom Brady has led his team to the go-ahead scores in the 4th quarter.

Deus,I've seen you mention this a couple of times now, and I'm surprised to see you make this mistake. The last points the Patriots scored in last year's Super Bowl came on their first drive of the third quarter. They scored a TD to end the first half, putting them up 10-9. Then they opened up the second half with another TD to put them up 17-9. The Giants then scored the last 12 points of the game.

So why are you insisting that, in your own words, Brady led them to a go-ahead score in the fourth quarter of SB 46?

Deus,I've seen you mention this a couple of times now, and I'm surprised to see you make this mistake. The last points the Patriots scored in last year's Super Bowl came on their first drive of the third quarter. They scored a TD to end the first half, putting them up 7-9. Then they opened up the second half with another TD to put them up 17-9. The Giants then scored the last 12 points of the game.

So why are you insisting that, in your own words, Brady led them to a go-ahead score in the fourth quarter of SB 46?

Excuse me, for fumbling the post. You're correct. He's led them to second-half leads that lasted until less than 5 minutes left in the game. I was thinking about the 4th quarter drive where Welker and Branch dropped passes, and I converged the two in my writing. One drive (2011) was in the 3rd quarter and one drive (2007) was in the 4th quarter. The rest of my post still stands.

The old adage you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink also applies to the jackass...

The ultimate irony here is how elephants have been unfairly implicated. The elephant is a highly intelligent creature.

In 2007, the Patriots took the lead with less than 3 minutes to go. It's not Brady's fault that Tyree made the helmet catch, the officials didn't call obvious holding calls, Samuel missed an INT opportunity and the coaching staff called an all-out-blitz that Manning knew was coming. In 2011, the Patriots took the lead early in the 4th quarter. It's not Brady's fault that there were key drops after that.

It's a team game and the offenses struggled in those games, but Brady wasn't tossing out a pick-6 in the Super Bowl, unlike Manning. He was leading comeback drives.

Thanks, Deus. That pretty much sums it up.
I'm outa here.
Practice Squad, Mods?

I haven't read this thread, so I don't know if this has been posted, or this is some kind of troll thread, or what, but

9/23 125/0/1 L
12/26 109/0/1 L
8/15 98/0/2 L (49-3)

I found these 3 postseason statlines for one particular qb -- want to guess who?

Finally, this load of nonsense has been consigned to purgatory, where it belonged nearly 300 posts ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back