PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelmania

Revman

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Can Julian Edelman make this team as an athlete playing multiple roles? He would be given the position of wr. Impressed in camp- can he beat out Slater this year? We have about 9 wr's on current roster.

We'll see how he does, sounds like he needs to hit the Juggs machine and work on his balance.

His being there isn't going to affect Slater, Slater and him are destined for two different roles with the team.

Slater is a top special teamer. If Edleman makes the team, he will need to beat out Lewis for a roster spot, presuming that Tate is not on the 53-man roster.

There is no way he has to beat out Lewis. Lewis is def gona make the team since they gave up a draft pick to use him and speficially went out of their way to get him. He runs crisp routes and is sure handed. A good guy to have around.
I love Edelman and do think he will make the team. I am hoping he has a pat white/ kevin faulk type role. More to the faulk side since they are around the same build give or take a few inches and pounds. If Edelman bulks up and works on his balance he will be pretty good and a good versatile player as well as in kick off/punt returns.

Don't think there's any chance he makes the team. His goal sb to make the practice squad.

Pract. squad - no need to put him ahead of Slater (very versatile) or Lewis (vet WR who just might be open if he's in a 4-set with Moss, Welker, Galloway).

There is no way he has to beat out Lewis. Lewis is def gona make the team since they gave up a draft pick to use him and speficially went out of their way to get him.

Didn't they also spend a draft pick on Edelman? May the best man win. I think training camp determines who makes the team. Lewis has an advantage because he's an NFL veteran and has been through it all before, but I don't think he's a lock by any stretch.

We'll see how he does, sounds like he needs to hit the Juggs machine and work on his balance.

Not real sure why you mention balance,,this is the player that an opposing coach calls Houdini, making two defensive players run into one another. Supposedly there was alot of sliping at the minin camp, but that have been due to the wet grass, wrong cleats,,

As far as making the team, that's what preseason is all about. I would think the easiest WR position to compare would be the old, one year contract Galloway versus the young, upcoming, cheap multiple rolled rookie.

That'll be fun to watch,,
hopefully

Not real sure why you mention balance,,this is the player that an opposing coach calls Houdini, making two defensive players run into one another. Supposedly there was alot of sliping at the minin camp, but that have been due to the wet grass, wrong cleats,,

As far as making the team, that's what preseason is all about. I would think the easiest WR position to compare would be the old, one year contract Galloway versus the young, upcoming, cheap multiple rolled rookie.

That'll be fun to watch,,
hopefully
I mention balance because it became an issue in rookie camp. You can blame the surface, but the player needs to compensate for the surface, which goes beyond cleats, something the kid can learn from to be better - if he was filling in for a dinged up Welker in the playoffs, I don't care how slick the field is, he needs to make the cut and stay on his feet, cleats or no cleats.

Slater is a top special teamer. If Edleman makes the team, he will need to beat out Lewis for a roster spot, presuming that Tate is not on the 53-man roster.

Why would Edelman have to beat out Lewis for a spot? The Pats have carried 6 receivers in the past. And at one point, 7.

I mention balance because it became an issue in rookie camp. You can blame the surface, but the player needs to compensate for the surface, which goes beyond cleats, something the kid can learn from to be better - if he was filling in for a dinged up Welker in the playoffs, I don't care how slick the field is, he needs to make the cut and stay on his feet, cleats or no cleats.

In the play-offs, if he's filling in for Welker, he's going to have the proper cleats on. Your making an assumption that during camp the training staff had extra cleats available or that the kids would have had time to change them. And, if it was just him, you'd have a point, but the way it read was that ALL of the players were having issues with the surface. If that's the case, then its a factor you remove because its one that the team would eliminate accordingly.

He would have to beat out Lewis because the 5th, 6th and 7th WR spots (if they exist) need to be reserved for players who are top special teamers. We really don't need more than four receivers who actually play receiver.

Last year we had only three wide receivers who weren't primarily special teamers. Aiken was the only one of the rest to catch a significant number of passes, which is fine since Watson and Faulk are really next in line as a receiver choice after the top 3 receivers. This year our #4 is Lewis, a receiver and a backup returner. This seems to be a role that Edelman could aspire to.

We do have folks coming back to compete for the #5, #6 and #7 WR/ST positions if they exist: Slater, Ventrone and Aiken. I can't see Edelman being more valuable to Seeley than those guys.

Why would Edelman have to beat out Lewis for a spot? The Pats have carried 6 receivers in the past. And at one point, 7.

We do have folks coming back to compete for the #5, #6 and #7 WR/ST positions if they exist: Slater, Ventrone and Aiken. I can't see Edelman being more valuable to Seeley than those guys.

Except that Seeley isn't around anymore :D

In the play-offs, if he's filling in for Welker, he's going to have the proper cleats on. Your making an assumption that during camp the training staff had extra cleats available or that the kids would have had time to change them. And, if it was just him, you'd have a point, but the way it read was that ALL of the players were having issues with the surface. If that's the case, then its a factor you remove because its one that the team would eliminate accordingly.
That may be Db, but just how much can the players and coaches learn if they're falling down from bad footing? If you're trying to teach kids to execute the fundamentals, slipping/falling when they're trying to cut is more likely to get them injured vice educated. NE's trainers use those fields all the time, they know what equipment to provide, so if the kids are slipping it seems reasonable to believe it had more to do with their ability to adjust to the surface and run with with their center of mass over their feet...and perhaps set their feet properly to take full advantage of the cleats' traction.

Would it be that unusual if neither Slater or Edelman to make the roster?

Whoever wins the returner job, has to be able to do more than just return kicks. Slater has some other ST abilities, but I do not think he is a lock by any means.

Would it be that unusual if neither Slater or Edelman to make the roster?

Whoever wins the returner job, has to be able to do more than just return kicks. Slater has some other ST abilities, but I do not think he is a lock by any means.

That's assuming he isn't making key special teams tackles again nor he isn't kept around as an emergency DB again, BB like versatility in players and his being able to play offense, defense, and special teams in a pinch or mop up could put him in the last receiver slot.

That's assuming he isn't making key special teams tackles again nor he isn't kept around as an emergency DB again, BB like versatility in players and his being able to play offense, defense, and special teams in a pinch or mop up could put him in the last receiver slot.

I see Slater as the 53rd member of last years team.

Will there be a year 2 jump in production??

Is there a Juggs machine that does kick-offs??

You presume that Slater made the team as a kick returner or even as a pass receiver.

Slater was our top gunner last year. I believed that he played on all six special team units.

I would not be surprised if Ventrone and Aiken make it over Slater, but that is not because Slater was not an important contributer last year.

I see Slater as the 53rd member of last years team.

Will there be a year 2 jump in production??

Is there a Juggs machine that does kick-offs??

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Back