PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman on Cam and Mac

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

""Cam's probably been working hard,” Edelman said. “That’s his M.O. Cam works hard. Now we’ve got to see if he can work smart in the right areas, and if he does that, he’s going to give himself an opportunity to do well. But he’s also going to have to beat out the young gun, because the young guy is there — little Mac Attack. This kid, that’s a first-round draft pick. That’s, like, a real first-round draft pick.

Edelman continued, "When you play on Bill teams, (first-round picks) are usually defensive ends. We usually have the 28th pick or something; we’re getting a defensive player. That’s how Bill builds a team. But if you come in and you’re a quarterback drafted by Bill Belichick, I mean, let’s go, buddy.”"

1621703173634.gif

Pretty much my exact thoughts. Down to the Mac attack. From another thread ...

"We no longer have an offense. We have a Mac-attack"

Cam isn't going to be pushed over. I think it'll be a legit competition unlike last year. Idk 50-50, 60-40 but I definitely believe there's a good chance Mac wins the job.

There's a lot of forces at play here. Cam's last stand. Mac isn't going to want to sit after the year he had, no way. Bill won't have an easy decision. This should be a very exciting camp for those in attendance. I imagine this will be one of the more publicized camps in the league bc of the QB battle.

Interesting that Edelman mentions Cam's work ethic. Jules would have some insight into that: he actually played with Cam, and he had his best (numbers) game as a pro catching passes from Cam.

Struggling to cope with this fact
It's a highly circumstantial fact. Jules being the only starting caliber pass catcher on the team was one big (probably the biggest) factor. Couple that with Jules' style being a guy who gets open quick and is a reception machine. And finally add in Cam not exactly being famous for reading the whole field and spreading the ball.

I like that Edelman differentiates between being a hard worker and being a smart one. I look forward to the hard working Mac using his smarts to win the job sooner rather than later.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Interesting that Edelman mentions Cam's work ethic. Jules would have some insight into that: he actually played with Cam, and he had his best (numbers) game as a pro catching passes from Cam.
He also had some of his worst. They key to being great in the NFL is consistency. Cam, far from consistent. When Cam can get edelman 10 catches for 141 yards in a superbowl, it might mean something.

Edelman knows what’s coming. Yeah Edelman put up max numbers with Cam, Cam also sent him into harm’s way with some suicide balls. There’s something to be said for accuracy, the ability to throw a receiver open and limiting the risk of injury.

Pearls of wisdom.

1 Mac is a 1st round pick. Like a real 1st round pick just so there is no confusion.
2 Mac (The 1st round pick) is trying to unseat Cam as the Patriots starter, but Cam is working hard.
3 BB taking a QB in round 1 is something. I suppose having Tom Brady at the helm for 20 years had no bearing whatsoever on drafting QBs.

Pearls of wisdom.

1 Mac is a 1st round pick. Like a real 1st round pick just so there is no confusion.
2 Mac (The 1st round pick) is trying to unseat Cam as the Patriots starter, but Cam is working hard.
3 BB taking a QB in round 1 is something. I suppose having Tom Brady at the helm for 20 years had no bearing whatsoever on drafting QBs.
What in the **** is that in your avatar?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back