PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman Injury Seems to Now Be Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's hoping edelman is be back soon. in the mean time i say put dj foster at slot.

Foster is best used as a duel threat. Match up guy.

Not an Edleman replacement imho.

We are basically replacing edelman with cooks....offense is essentially the same

Cooks has lined up outside 90% of the time. Even higher than when he was with NO.

We're gunna match up him with slower guys (4.45+ guys. He kills slower cbs) and bomb teams with him and Hogan.

While I think most of us know that there is no directly replacing Jules, my take is that Amendola takes some of his role, Carr maybe makes the team to be the "new Amendola" and the machine rolls on. Huge bummer though, and not trying to force a silver lining on what SEEMS like a potential season ending injury.

The Pats have all the pieces at WR to be successful, but roles and usage are going to change. And 3rd down likely will look different. The pieces have to fit together and Brady has to be comfortable. But the ability is there - we do not have stiffs.

Tough news, he's gotta be devastated. Working so hard all summer, ready for the season, then boom 3rd Preseason game it's over.

My best for a speedy recovery. JE is a true Patriot, they may be stacked at WR but he will be missed.

**** the lions, **** their franchise and **** them for having that ****ty playing surface
They have Field Turf, just like the Patriots and most of the rest of the league.

Was Steve Smith still under contract when he retired, or would he be a free agent? He's the only attainable player (possibly - at his age and if he wanted to return) who has the same ability to quickly elude a defender at the LOS. I also wonder if Andrew Hawkins may reconsider now that he could potentially have a bigger role...not saying he can replace Edelman, as few if any can really do what he does.

Unfortunately, I think Amendola hasn't had talent similar to Edelman's since his initial injury in 2013 here. He is a good route runner with sure hands but lost his quickness and explosiveness with thr ball. With JE gone, Amendola and Mitchell would get more playing time and both are at least adequate, so the dropoff wouldn't be enormous overall, but the scheme versatility is the bigger issue. I don't think Cooks has a similar game as Edelman, even if he may have some physical similarities.

Not to br a downer, but now I really wish they still had Bennett. That 2-TE offense base alone would be enough to defeat many defenses. Maybe Allen will surprise us.

All in all, though, I bet the Patriots stand pat if JE is done. I have personally noticed a slow decline in his game and thought he wouldn't be featured in 2017 as much as a lot of people here...I saw him morphing into an Amendola guy who was money on third down but not someone who build your gameplan around anymore. His yards per target have dipped a lot, and while he is stil awesome, he was definitely moving towards that later stage in his career, which comes up very fast. It does help thst there are literally discussions on this board every day about how overly stacked the Pats are with skill players, and they will shuffle personnel as well as any team.

Last edited:
Gronk's the better player, But Edelman is the chain mover. This is big.

We need gronk to complete a full season this year. I just don't know how you replace him. I know a lot of folks would hate this but would you take a shot with mr salsa man victor cruz if he was released? He seems like a smart guy and good route runner despite not having the explosion he once had.

Seems like every odd year is this ****, ****

Why shouldnt he? Its true. When has JE ever sniffed being the best WR in the league much less the GOAT at his position?

Seriously??
I was referring to the "this is big" line.
Apologies for not clarifying.
IMO it does not derail the Pats freight train. They will find answers.

now we dont get to see this offense at full strength ****

Was Steve Smith still under contract when ne retired, or would he be a free agent? He's the only attainable player (possibly - at his age and if he wanted to return) who has the same ability to quickly elude a defender at the LOS. I also wonder if Andrew Hawkins may reconsider now that he could potentially have a bigger role...not saying he can replace Edelman, as few if any can really do what he does.

Unfortunately, I think Amendola hasn't had talent similar to Edelman's since his initial injury in 2013 here. He is a good route runner with sure hands but lost his quickness and explosiveness with thr ball. With JE gone, Amendola and Mitchell would get more playing time and both are at least adequate, so the dropoff wouldn't be enormous overall, but the scheme versatility is the bigger issue. I don't think Cooks has a similar game as Edelman, even if he may have some physical similarities.

Not to br a downer, but now I really wish they still had Bennett. That 2-TE offense base alone would be enough to defeat many defenses. Maybe Allen will surprise us.

All in all, though, I bet the Patriots stand pat if JE is done. I have personally noticed a slow decline in his game and thought he wouldn't be featured in 2017 as much as a lot of people here...I saw him morphing into an Amendola guy who was money on third down but not someone who build your gameplan around anymore. His yards per target have dipped a lot, and while he is stil awesome, he was definitely moving towards that later stage in his career, which comes up very fast. It does help thst there are literally discussions on this board every day about how overly stacked the Pats are with skill players, and they will shuffle personnel as well as any team.

How much does Steve smith have left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes