PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Easiest Division? Check. Easiest Conference? Check. Easiest Schedule? ranked 32nd toughest. Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
>>This thread is a testament to Felger&Mazz.

I agreed with almost all what you posted except this. Everything I posted about the AFCE is 100% true, and I'm frankly glad to be in this division.

We never have to deal with the outlier "15-1 Panthers" and be a 12-4 wild card team, or the "13-3" Chiefs, or some other aberant strong season team. It has happened multiple times in all the other divisions. It has never happened in the AFCE since 2000.

Yeah, but the AFCE has had at least two 10-game or better winners since 2000 NINE time, which is tied for most among the eight divisions.

We never have to deal with the outlier "15-1 Panthers" and be a 12-4 wild card team, or the "13-3" Chiefs, or some other aberant strong season team. It has happened multiple times in all the other divisions. It has never happened in the AFCE since 2000.

That their record vs. these other divisions is almost exactly the same as their record vs. the AFC East shows that the Patriots would finish above that aberrant strong season team, if in the same division.

Those franchises would also be beating up themselves, churning through coaches and GMs like the Bill, Jets, and Dolphins have, if they routinely faced the Patriots.

Recently on twitter I saw a breakdown for every division in the NFL (since they adopted the current alignment), where you compare the records of each division vs. all of the other divisions. Of course the AFC East, with the Pats, come out on top.

But... and get this... if you throw out the division winners each year and compare the records of only the 2nd/3rd/4th place teams vs. the rest of the NFL, the AFC STILL ranks high, IIRC coming in second.

So, yes, the bottom feeders of the AFC East do quite well vs. the league. They are just held down by a superteam.

Last edited:
Every other division has rotated top teams to some extent so over time it appears that they've had more good teams. There is also some recency bias. Outside of the Pats, the AFCE has been particularly poor the past few years so the impression that it has always been the worst division gets some legs. An easier division has helped but it is far from why the Pats have been so dominant.

Last edited:
Every other division has rotated top teams to some extent so over time it appears that they've had more good teams. There is also some recency bias. Outside of the Pats, the AFCE has been particularly poor the past few years so the impression that it has always been the worst division gets some legs. An easier division has helped but it is far from why the Pats have been so dominant.
its more that they NEVER have any team have a particularly great season, while the other divisions do, which definitely helps sustained dominance.

Last edited:
it has not been busted. All you have to do is check the standings for the last 20 years.

Since Brady has been here.
Man was that a quick 20 years.
I think the Pats would have won any division in which they played. It was just tough luck for Buffalo, Miami and NJ that they ended up in the Pats' division.
The Manning realignment of the AFC also took place about 20 years ago. Too bad for them that they didn't see Bill and Brady coming.

Is this supposed to be a negative?

The 2016 Dolphins went 10-6. Lost both games to the Pats. If they win instead they are now 12-4 and had that "breakout" year. If the Pats had been a normal division winner like most Steelers teams they would have had years where they went 0-2 against their best division opponents and all of a sudden those teams were amazingly much better. If the Pats were going 4-2 or 3-3 more often the Bills, Dolphins or Jets would appear better. Probably fair to say that from the Patriots perspective the AFCE has been very easy - but what does the AFCE look like from the eyes of the Bills, Jets or Dolphins?

the PATRIOTS do not have to play the PATRIOTS
Oh for goodness' sake, don't give Goodell any ideas...

vs.
psrz6lpjoderpk6xpf9y

whine, whine, whine

It is what it is.

By the measurements used (usually wins last year), the patriots have a weaker schedule than the other contenders for the AFC crown.

Do you all disagree? Why, other than we would like to say the the patriots have a difficult schedule?

whine, whine, whine

It is what it is.

By the measurements used (usually wins last year), the patriots have a weaker schedule than the other contenders for the AFC crown.

Do you all disagree? Why, other than we would like to say the the patriots have a difficult schedule?
Pats have their usual bye to the Bowl

The 2016 Dolphins went 10-6. Lost both games to the Pats. If they win instead they are now 12-4 and had that "breakout" year. If the Pats had been a normal division winner like most Steelers teams they would have had years where they went 0-2 against their best division opponents and all of a sudden those teams were amazingly much better. If the Pats were going 4-2 or 3-3 more often the Bills, Dolphins or Jets would appear better. Probably fair to say that from the Patriots perspective the AFCE has been very easy - but what does the AFCE look like from the eyes of the Bills, Jets or Dolphins?
That's a good point. I concede it. Also in 2004, we went 14-2, Jets went 10-6... That year we lost to the Steelers and Dolphins, so hence we beat the Jets twice.

If the Jets beat us twice, we are both 12-4, they take the division. So yes, the Patriots are certainly contributing to the the AFCE apparent severe droughts for the other teams, good point.

Pats schedule at the moment appears to be relatively easy. They play the AFCN which appears to be average at the moment and the NFCE appears the same as well. The 2 first place games are reasonable and the AFCE appears at least a year away (and maybe more) I love it when the Pats win so an easy schedule does not bother me. My only issue with the discussion is when it is used to imply the Pats success is due to it.

How is it the easiest conference? As a Chief fan I’d much rather play in the NFC

NFC:
Rams
Saint
Eagles
Bears

AFC
Patriots
Chiefs
Chargers
Colts
Browns

All 9 teams could easily challenge for a top 2 seed. The AFC isn’t weak. The NFC Champion couldn’t beat the AFC Champ in 2012, ‘14, ‘15, ‘16, or ‘18. That’s 4 of the last 5 for the AFC. It’s the stronger conference.

HT man. I swear every time he rushes the QB good things happen. Blew up the A

Yeah, but the AFCE has had at least two 10-game or better winners since 2000 NINE time, which is tied for most among the eight divisions.
So in other words, since the Pats always win 10+, then in the past 20 years the other 3 teams in the AFCE have won 10+ only 9 times.

That’s pretty bad.

The bottom line is that every AFC contender would rather play MIA, BUF and the NYJ than the 3 teams that they have in their divisions. That has been the case for the entire Belichick-Brady era. I don't see any signs that this will change during their era.

So in other words, since the Pats always win 10+, then in the past 20 years the other 3 teams in the AFCE have won 10+ only 9 times.

That’s pretty bad.

How is it the easiest conference? As a Chief fan I’d much rather play in the NFC

NFC:
Rams
Saint
Eagles
Bears

AFC
Patriots
Chiefs
Chargers
Colts
Browns

All 9 teams could easily challenge for a top 2 seed. The AFC isn’t weak. The NFC Champion couldn’t beat the AFC Champ in 2012, ‘14, ‘15, ‘16, or ‘18. That’s 4 of the last 5 for the AFC. It’s the stronger conference.

Yes. The AFC is the better of the two conferences by a long shot.

The AFC has won the season series vs the NFC for 17 of the last 25 seasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft