PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early spitballing: trade Mallett & two 1sts to move up to #6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayjackson

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Curious as to whether there'd be interest on the part of the Redskins in Ryan Mallett. Our two first rounders plus Mallett puts us in the neighbourhood on the value chart. The target from the Pats perspective would probably be Coples or Brockers.

(I'm sure the Redskins would prefer to move up for luck, but this trade would make similar sense for a Colt team looking to trade down the draft and pick up multiple starters and a QB to groom under Manning.)

re: Early spitballing: trade Mallett & two 1sts to move up to #6?

Still same problem, the value isnt worth the risk. 2 first rounders is too expensive and in my opinion we would just be better having moore picks.

I can understand people wanting to trade up for Luck maybe but still, in the long run, its better to have more picks and hit with the ones we have.

In short, draft success is a matter of hitting on the picks you got, not falling in love with names.

Use NO pick and trade back yet again to get another 2nd rounder. I like the idea of always getting another second rounder. Think its the best way to keep adding players and increasing the chance we get a better team.

A better use for trading a first round pick would be if the Ravens tender Lardarius Webb at that level.

That would sort out the CB "problem" and still leave the Patriots with the Saints first round pick to use in the draft.

A better use for trading a first round pick would be if the Ravens tender Lardarius Webb at that level.

That would sort out the CB "problem" and still leave the Patriots with the Saints first round pick to use in the draft.

That's some good thinking. The removal of the first and third tender level might allow for a few more of these transactions.

if we can get to number 6 and the player of my choosing is there then I'm all for it, the player in question is Morris Claiborne

That's some good thinking. The removal of the first and third tender level might allow for a few more of these transactions.

I don't see the Pats doing it, though.

I think they were willing to do it with Welker because the 2007 draft was so talent-poor that there was essentially zero chance of getting a player as useful as Welker at #62. I don't think that's the case here.

Curious as to whether there'd be interest on the part of the Redskins in Ryan Mallett. Our two first rounders plus Mallett puts us in the neighbourhood on the value chart. The target from the Pats perspective would probably be Coples or Brockers.

(I'm sure the Redskins would prefer to move up for luck, but this trade would make similar sense for a Colt team looking to trade down the draft and pick up multiple starters and a QB to groom under Manning.)

Brockers had an unbelievable season and a great championship game with 6 tackles a sack and a blocked FG.

But he is raw and will probably need two years before he can start for us.

I lot of whispers about oples being a me first kind of guy. Selfish and immature. Not sure where this is coming from or if it is true.

I think we can sit back and pick up a Fletcher Cox (4 time DL of the week in the SEC this past season) at #27. He provides position flexibility by playing DE in the 3-4 and DT in the 4-3.

Then come back with Hightower at #32.(If he runs well at the combine) He can play ILB or OLB so he gives us good position flexibility as well.

Both these guys project as playmakers in our defense and our defense desperately needs playmakers.

The Ravens would be crazy to expose Ledarious Webb. he is a legit #1 corner.
Can anyone explain to me what happened to Devin mccourty? His rookie season he looks like a shutdown #1 corner. And his sophmore season he cant cover anyone to save his own life!

PS no way pats move up to #6. using up way too much draft capital on an uncertain player. what if we end up with the next gholston?

Last edited:

The Ravens would be crazy to expose Ledarious Webb. he is a legit #1 corner.
Can anyone explain to me what happened to Devin mccourty? His rookie season he looks like a shutdown #1 corner. And his sophmore season he cant cover anyone to save his own life!

PS no way pats move up to #6. using up way too much draft capital on an uncertain player. what if we end up with the next gholston?

Well, they have one franchise tag to use, and a lot of players hitting free agency, most notably Ray Rice. If they don't tag Rice, whom their offense runs through and is only 25, they're nuts. If the Ravens can't get a long-term deal with Webb, their only option is a first round tender. Drafting at the back of the first round, with 2 late picks, it's a legit option, and the Ravens should be a little nervous.

I'd rather sign a franchised player (namely Mario Williams) than trade both 1st for a rookie.

I like the idea of taking Webb from the Ravens and still having another first even more.

If we're going to trade up I like this idea. Both our 1's for a pick 14-16 range plus a 3rd and a 4th from that team. Trade the received 3/4 for a future 2/3. This means our total draft haul would look something like mid 1st / 2 2's / 3 / 4 / future 2 / future 3. Pretty good IMO.

We could trade #32 and #48 (1020 combined points) for the #15 or #16 pick in the first round and take any one of the following OLB's (Perry, Upshaw or Ingram) then at #27 take DE Cox or Brockers and come back at #64 and take FS Martin.

Now I doubt severely that BB goes up for anybody in the first round, but this trade fills three massive holes on the defense filled.

Yeah, trading up for Vernon Gholston doesn't seem as good now as it did then. There were plenty of people on this board who wanted to trade up for him, and thank hoodie we didn't. BB's tendency to trade down has landed McCourty, Mayo, Chung, Hernandez and a bunch of others.

This year in particular, there are players I seriously WANT on the team in 20s and early 30s. The talent doesn't run out in the teens like it has in recent years. I think this could be a great draft class for the Pats.

1a. Devon Still or Michael Brockers, we could only be so lucky
1b. Peter Konz is the popular name, but there are a few interior linemen that would fit the bill
2a. (traded to the Raiders for their 1st next year)
2b. Ryan Broyles, another top talent with an injury, dropping into our laps

Booya!

Here, kitty, kitty. . . . here, kitty, kitty. . . . :D

What happens when the Raiders win the AFC championship game and they owe the Bengals next year's first?:p

I'd rather use both 1st round picks, one on a pass rusher and another on a WR (maybe Kendall Wright?)

What happens when the Raiders win the AFC championship game and they owe the Bengals next year's first?:p

Good point. We'd have to settle for their 2nd and the 1st the year after.

It occurs to me, maybe Oakland has been such a good trade partner for future picks because Al Davis knew he only had a few years left. With his passing, maybe Oakland wont be as eager to mortgage their future to win now.

I'd rather use both 1st round picks, one on a pass rusher and another on a WR (maybe Kendall Wright?)

Baylor is one of the few teams in college football that has the WR's running option routes. That would seem on the surface to give Wright a leg up over other WR's in this draft as far as how they fit into our system.

I would Trade Mallett for the #6 OVR pick. He was touted as 1st round talent last year and has had a quiet, trouble free year under Brady et al in 2011.

Perhaps it is a little early this season but in 2013 i think he has 1st round trade bait written all over him.

I would Trade Mallett for the #6 OVR pick. He was touted as 1st round talent last year and has had a quiet, trouble free year under Brady et al in 2011.

Perhaps it is a little early this season but in 2013 i think he has 1st round trade bait written all over him.

Not even Mario Williams, who was a 1st rounder and #1 over all at that, commands a high first rounder. Teams don't do it anymore. They may do it mid season for future years picks but not leading up to the draft. And they may do picks fo picks + players but never player for picks.

Coples and Brockers are the only players I would move up for this year. That being said, being at the end of the first gives us a huge amount of flexibility to hit on both DT and DE as opposed to just one position. DT/DE is the OL of last years draft. Huge value late in the 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back