PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early cuts to 80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Personally not surprised that Zuber and Hastings are gone that early but I know some will be.
I would've preferred to keep one of Hastings/Zuber and one of Lewerke/Jamar Smith, and then drop both Quincy Street Attaboy & Devin Ross...I also would've kept Ardarius Pickett and sh!t-canned Terry Brooks while saving close to $1M-1/2...

Last edited:
No surprises. Have to figure Bill will extend some of the curiosity he does vets under these circumstances. If he knows there's nothing for you here, for w/e reason. He'll do the right thing and give you as much time to get a home somewhere else.

More football news is fun

The only mildly surprising cut is Malik Gant, imho. The Patriots were really high on him coming out of TC last year and disappointed that he got injured. Beyond that, no surprises.

It will be interesting to see if any of the vets decide to opt out.

BTW, is Stiddy still PS eligible? Less than four accrued seasons, right? And this year we can block up to 4 PS guys from being claimed, IIRC? Could set up Stiddy to be our quarantine emergency guy without counting vs. the 53?

Unless they've also waived the requirement that players on rookie contracts go through waivers before initially signing them to the PS, this would be an incredibly risky move.

Unless they've also waived the requirement that players on rookie contracts go through waivers before initially signing them to the PS, this would be an incredibly risky move.
Would it not also invalidate thatrookie contract?, meaning he not locked in for four years (this plus two more).

Would it not also invalidate thatrookie contract?, meaning he not locked in for four years (this plus two more).

Yes. But that would mean he would become, at best (from his viewpoint), an ERFA.

I actually ,,,hoping Jeff Thomas makes the roster. This kid has talent and is Very Fast. Said it right after the Draft.
If his mind is straight,,,why not,,could be the Steal of the Year. Go Pats.

BTW, is Stiddy still PS eligible? Less than four accrued seasons, right? And this year we can block up to 4 PS guys from being claimed, IIRC? Could set up Stiddy to be our quarantine emergency guy without counting vs. the 53?

Why though ?

Why though ?

So we could roll with 3 QB's without 1 counting vs. the 53 and to have Stiddy standing by to start after a week of activation/practice.

If this is possible to do...then in theory...Stiddy would be the #2. On game day, if Cam gets dinged...we finish the game with Hoyer...and start Stiddy the following week.

Of course, this assumes that Stiddy beats out Hoyer for the #2 job (and Cam is his healthy old self).

So we could roll with 3 QB's without 1 counting vs. the 53 and to have Stiddy standing by to start after a week of activation/practice.

If this is possible to do...then in theory...Stiddy would be the #2. On game day, if Cam gets dinged...we finish the game with Hoyer...and start Stiddy the following week.

Of course, this assumes that Stiddy beats out Hoyer for the #2 job (and Cam is his healthy old self).

I think this is the definition of "getting cute"/"outsmarting yourself"/whatever cliche you wanna use.

I think this is the definition of "getting cute"/"outsmarting yourself"/whatever cliche you wanna use.

Probably...but if we can block teams from signing up to 4 guys off the PS REGARDLESS OF THEIR CONTRACT/VETERAN STATUSES....that could be a loophole to exploit.

So, you would have Stidham on the Practice Squad with no contract, and pay him 10K a week. Any team could then decide to sign him for a minimum NFL salary. After having the team screw him out of his 2020 salary and his one year of being a veteran, why wouldn't Stidham simply go somewhere else to be the #3?

No. In this COVID season, we need to have 3 QB's on the 53 man roster.

So, you would have Stidham on the Practice Squad with no contract, and pay him 10K a week. Any team could then decide to sign him for a minimum NFL salary. After having the team screw him out of his 2020 salary and his one year of being a veteran, why wouldn't Stidham simply go somewhere else to be the #3?

You have clearly not kept up-to-date with some of the new practice squad provisions. You can protect players from being signed off the PS now.

That being said the 10K salary provision is an excellent point. But in more general terms I still don't see why someone would move a young QB that the staff is reportedly excited about to the PS. It smells like desperate over optimization and doesn't consider the human elements at all.

You have clearly not kept up-to-date with some of the new practice squad provisions. You can protect players from being signed off the PS now.

That being said the 10K salary provision is an excellent point. But in more general terms I still don't see why someone would move a young QB that the staff is reportedly excited about to the PS. It smells like desperate over optimization and doesn't consider the human elements at all.

Noted.

Please provide a reference to the new Practice Squad rules that protect the teams by guaranteeing them the services of a player for a price of $10K a month. BTW, are player now required to accept a PS position? It seems that the players were royally screwed.

So nice to be talking football again....no real big surprises that jump out to me.

Ah, so if someone is on the PS...their contract reduces to 10k a week? Then forget my idea.

If not, it is a way to have a 3rd QB that doesn't count on the 53 that couldn't be signed by anyone.

Ah, so if someone is on the PS...their contract reduces to 10k a week? Then forget my idea.

If not, it is a way to have a 3rd QB that doesn't count on the 53 that couldn't be signed by anyone.

My memory was off by a tad, the compensation for the vets on the PS is $12K her week for this season.
==========
I think that Belichick isn't taking needless risks. And, he is only working with players that have a chance of playing in 2020. 80 is plenty to be dealing with.

BTW, everyone just agreed to an unlimited short-term IR for those who test COVID positive.

Interesting, Hastings back. With the two opt-outs they had two spots open up. Wonder if they'll bring back anyone else.

I wouldn't breathe too heavy a sigh of relief if I were Hastings...Time again to place calls to the agents of the following: Charles Clay, Ben Braunecker, Ben Koyack, Jeff Swaim, David Morgan, Clive Walford & Luke Stocker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down