PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Early cuts to 80

Status
Not open for further replies.

The lone UDFA WR standing with 2nd round talent knows what is at stake.

I don't doubt that he knows what's at stake.

What worries me is if he has the impulse control to avoid the Brown/Gordon path of self-destruction. The fact that the Patriots only had to guarantee him $5K implies one of two things: he really thought he had a great chance of making the roster here, or he basically had zero other suitors.

The thing that surprises me is they guaranteed about $200K to the three WRs they just cut, but only $5K to the one they kept for now (Jeff Thomas).

In any case, it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them (Hastings?) ended up on the PS as a result of those guarantees.
Perhaps it’s a case of them feeling like they “know” more about someone like Hastings and want to use the limited reps available getting a look at a high upside player like Thomas.

Kind of sad. These guys did not even get a chance. I realize it is highly unlikely any would make the team. But hearing about UFA is what makes training camp so fun each year.

Last edited:
I really liked Zuber, but I’ve been wrong before and will be again. We may see some of these players down the line on the PS. Right now, it’s a numbers game, and WR, QB,ILB, and S were the positions at which they had an excess of players.

I really liked Zuber, but I’ve been wrong before and will be again. We may see some of these players down the line on the PS. Right now, it’s a numbers game, and WR, QB,ILB, and S were the positions at which they had an excess of players.
Agree - really like Zuber. Not shocked though.

Kind of sad. These guys did not even get a chance. I realize it is highly unlikely none would make the team. But hearing about UFA is what makes training camp so fun each year.

There are no preseason games, and TC is closed to the public. Even media access will be limited. :(

The thing that surprises me is they guaranteed about $200K to the three WRs they just cut, but only $5K to the one they kept for now (Jeff Thomas).

In any case, it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them (Hastings?) ended up on the PS as a result of those guarantees.

There really has never been much correlation between how much UDFAs get guaranteed and who gets to stay. Their guarantees are essentially just an indicator how much was necessary to get them into the facility because of competition. It is just the cost of doing business.

Last edited:
I get your main sentiment here. But something feels off about rooting for a guy to opt out when you know his motivations would be due to the fact that he’s had a previous history of life threatening illness. Just feel bad knowing he has to weigh out that kind of decision.
In Cannon’s case, I don’t feel bad. If he squandered his millions and NEEDS to play, that is on him... (I do, however, feel bad that he has had a life threatening illness and I hope he never needs to deal with that again. Purely talking « if he needs the $ »)

The lone UDFA WR standing with high round talent knows what is at stake.

He is my binkie but I still find it very hard to find a plausible scenario where he makes the team in a year like this. With limited practices and no on field action until middle August I think every vet has an almost insurmountable advantage over UDFAs.

He'd have to flash something really special to make the team over Byrd, Lee or even Meyers. But he definitely seems like a PS candidate.

Maybe, but wouldn’t you want to get a good look at them in camp if you wanted to keep them on your PS?

Giving these UDFA quarterbacks and wide receivers meaningful reps or any reps at all Is simply not realistic this year. Their first padded practice I won't be until the third week of August. It is going to be a race against time to even get their starters ready for the season, while trying to make a decision about who their starting quarterback is going to be week one without any preseason games.

I'm sure that BB didn't want to cut some of these guys but had no other option this year.

Of the UDFA WRs, Thomas is the only guy With the talent and athletic ability to make an impact this year. Not saying that he will or even that he will make the team but the talent is there to contribute right away. That may only be on special teams as a return or at first.

I’m hoping Byrd or Thomas make it. This team needs some speed desperately. And they both offer return ability.

Count me in the camp of people super surprised Bill elected to cut down to 80 right away. Figured he would value the extra 10 even if he had to keep them split up. But I guess he values team continuity and keeping everyone together more.
Not really, it is the quintessential Patriots move. With 90 players, you have to do split squad this year . When you get down to 80, you can do all as one. By cutting down early. the Patriots eliminate the need for split squad. I wouldn't be shocked to see them make future cuts earlier than deadlines to minimize risk of Covid (less players ergo less chance of transmission)and to let veterans hook on elsewhere....

The Pats always seem to keep at least one down field speed threat - last year it was Dorsett. I am sure they will keep Byrd, and I hope Thomas shows enough maturity to make it too. Thomas might not even have to beat out another guy - there are always injuries.

Last edited:
I’m hoping Byrd or Thomas make it. This team needs some speed desperately. And they both offer return ability.

Byrd can play. That’s never been the issue. Poor guy can’t stay healthy at all.

Byrd can play. That’s never been the issue. Poor guy can’t stay healthy at all.
I’m not even sure that’s true. He may just be a JAG. I’m not even sure his so called 4.29 forty is true. He certainly doesn’t look or play that fast. I’m not impressed by him. He’s played with Cam before, so that may help him.

I’m not even sure that’s true. He may just be a JAG. I’m not even sure his so called 4.29 forty is true. He certainly doesn’t look or play that fast. I’m not impressed by him. He’s played with Cam before, so that may help him.

I did forget that it was two years , and I’m guessing many more injuries ago. He showed flashes for the 2-3 game stretches he played. The speed WAS legit. He could run with Ginn. But means nothing now.

Surprised that BB apparently thinks theres more value in have non-restrictive practices vs. evaluation of 10 players for 2-3 weeks.

BTW, is Stiddy still PS eligible? Less than four accrued seasons, right? And this year we can block up to 4 PS guys from being claimed, IIRC? Could set up Stiddy to be our quarantine emergency guy without counting vs. the 53?

Edelman, Sanu, Harry, Meyers, and Gunshow is Edelman's understudy with a year of experience. WR is going to be a tough spot to crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back