PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Earl Thomas to be traded? Should Patriots pursue

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
NFL players who could be traded before draft

Thomas would shore up this punch and judy secondary big time, bringing toughness, technique, and coverage ability. Finally a safety to supplant Chung. Chung might be hard nosed, but you honestly don't want him man to man with a real receiving threat.

Who's interested in what might be a rental acquisition, IE Pats probably won't crack open the wallet to extend him after this season is over, given that his health checks out?

If he's going anywhere, it's to Dallas. He's a supremely talented safety, but he's had injury concerns over the last couple of seasons and is threatening to hold out. Doesn't sound like someone Belichick is going to surrender assets for in a trade.

Giving up anything for a $10.4m cap hit that doesn't address a position of immediate need isn't exactly where I see the Pats headed. YMMV

Of course he could be. Their bozo GM and Carroll don;t understand there is a salary cap and they should have decided between Chancellor or Thomas, and gone from there. They would have gotten better return. But, their arrogance now has them in this position of cap hell and the big fade.

And now, Schneider has little leverage for a deal because everyone knows the position they're in.

If you traded for him, you'd be taking on a large contract, so no thanks for me.

Safety feels like a need after the Pats secondary got torched for 374 passing yards, 4 receiving touchdowns, and gave up 12/18 on 3rd and 4th downs.

Thomas' salary is an issue, granted. But you can't tell me that improving the secondary is not a need after seeing the doors get blown off the barn on the world's biggest stage.

Moss did accept a paycut to come to the Patriots in a trade. He got paid later once he proved his value to us. Would Thomas do something similar? Stranger things have happened in the NFL.

? McCourty is expendable. Thomas an uopgrade.
DW Toys

You are crazy.

This is why BB is the best GM ever. He never would have paid Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor all top dollar contracts at once, especially doubling down at Safety with that kind of money.

Schneider should have dealt Thomas, because I think Chancellor has the more unique skill set as the Rover.

They could have easily already dealt Thomas going into his FA year, something they clearly weren't willing to do in the middle of their "dynasty" (lol), but here we now are where the draft pick compensation won't be very good.

Any team can look at a 1st rd pick Safety in any draft and get another Earl Thomas. I realize there is SOME risk in that, but it's worse the other way around, where Seattle finds itself now in a raging cap hell.

In a nutshell, Sherman might be available in a trade, too, simply because Ozzie Newsome spiked the market in 2013 so badly with Flacco, now Russell Wilson's salary is what is causing all of this cap hell business all over the league.

Thanks again to BB!

Last edited:
Giving up anything for a $10.4m cap hit that doesn't address a position of immediate need isn't exactly where I see the Pats headed. YMMV

It's actually $8.5M. The other $1.9M is the final pro-rated portion of this signing bonus.

Still a relatively huge chunk of the Pats very limited cap space. An then there's the question of what pick the Seahawks would want. OTOH, drafting a safety after the first round is nearly always a shot in the dark.

Thomas turns 29 in early May, so he's not far behind McCourty and Chung age-wise.

yes

Safety feels like a need after the Pats secondary got torched for 374 passing yards, 4 receiving touchdowns, and gave up 12/18 on 3rd and 4th downs.

Thomas' salary is an issue, granted. But you can't tell me that improving the secondary is not a need after seeing the doors get blown off the barn on the world's biggest stage.

Moss did accept a paycut to come to the Patriots in a trade. He got paid later once he proved his value to us. Would Thomas do something similar? Stranger things have happened in the NFL.

If, as part of the deal, Thomas agreed to a 2-year extension (2018 + 2019 and 2020), that converted all but $1M of his salary to signing bonus, that would knock his $8.5M cap hit down to about $4M. That might be okay.

pick him up as a free agent sure...trade for him...nope.

Look at their body of work as a whole. The starters are solid - depth is an issue. Football is a team sport and defense is like a machine meaning all of the parts need to function together.

Thomas has talked about how he wants new contract with a big raise. The current contract numbers aren’t overly relevant in any trade scenario.

I wouldn't trade for that contract, BUT Seattle might cut him. In fact Seattle only has 14 million in cap space right now and they could create 20 million more in cap sapce and only take on 3 million in dead money, if they were to cut both Sherman and Thomas. Now if either one of them hits the open market, then it would be time to go after them.

Thomas could be cut, he has the fifth largest salary for a safety in 2018, unfortunately for the Pats, the guy with the third largest salary is on there roster, last seen getting torched in the Superbowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back