PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Earl Thomas to be traded? Should Patriots pursue

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are crazy.

This is why BB is the best GM ever. He never would have paid Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor all top dollar contracts at once, especially doubling down at Safety with that kind of money.

Schneider should have dealt Thomas, because I think Chancellor has the more unique skill set as the Rover.

They could have easily already dealt Thomas going into his FA year, something they clearly weren't willing to do in the middle of their "dynasty" (lol), but here we now are where the draft pick compensation won't be very good.

Any team can look at a 1st rd pick Safety in any draft and get another Earl Thomas. I realize there is SOME risk in that, but it's worse the other way around, where Seattle finds itself now in a raging cap hell.

In a nutshell, Sherman might be available in a trade, too, simply because Ozzie Newsome spiked the market in 2013 so badly with Flacco, now Russell Wilson's salary is what is causing all of this cap hell business all over the league.

Thanks again to BB!
The way McCourty played in SB52 was mediocre at best. A healthy Earl Thomas or Devin McCourty as redo for that game? DM is not a playmaker. Harmon is better at that.
DW Toys

The way McCourty played in SB52 was mediocre at best. A healthy Earl Thomas or Devin McCourty as redo for that game? DM is not a playmaker. Harmon is better at that.
DW Toys
Does Thomas play remotely the same role as McCourty? Every time I’ve seen him, he’s been more of a 100% deep centerfield safety, kind of like what Harmon does when he’s on the field. It seems that they’re much more likely to put the other safety (Chancellor when he was healthy) or even linebackers out in man coverage on tight ends before putting Thomas there.

DW Toys

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again.

DW Toys
That’s because McCourty was playing out of position due to game plan.

They blitzed a number of times the entire game, Sciz. My point is, they're blitzing ST'ers masquerading as starting LB's. What I want is at least one and preferably two GAME CHANGER defensive studs in that front 7. Players that can occupy space in the QB's head from the first snap. Belechick had LT, Harry Carson, Carl Banks and Leonard Marshall on the field at the same time...where's our 2018 equivalent to THAT proven talent on the Patriots? I just want two...I'll take a Marshall and Banks..or even one LT.

okay so either hit big on some DE's that fall in the draft, or commit 30 million to a couple of elite pass rushers.

"McCourty is not a playmaker"

Since 2010, when they both entered the league

Thomas 25 INT
McCourty 20 INT

McCourty 75 Passes Defended
Thomas 60 Passes Defended

Thomas 10 Forced Fumbles
McCourty 8 Forced Fumbles

McCourty 3 Sacks
Thomas 0 Sacks

After giving up 41 to a backup this team needs playmakers on defense. I like Hightower but they need linebackers and a player upfront on the DL.

Thomas 25 INT
McCourty 20 INT

Thomas 10 Forced Fumbles

McCourty 3 Sacks
Thomas 0 Sacks

Giving up 41 points in SB52 when as some have said here, he was the best D player we had for the game? Never said he was bad. Just not a play maker. Thomas would cost us too much. I just think someone will give you picks or a good pick for a 31 year old DB living on a solid but not spectacular reputation (Harrisons age when the Chargers let him go. Would you say he was the better player at that point?)
DW Toys

Last edited:

Thomas 25 INT
McCourty 20 INT

Thomas 10 Forced Fumbles

McCourty 3 Sacks
Thomas 0 Sacks

McCourty 495 solo tackles
Thomas 463 solo tackles

McCourty 1,043 ST snaps since 2012 ... 110 in 2017
Thomas 328 ST snaps since 2012 ... 0 in 2017

McCourty 495 solo tackles
Thomas 463 solo tackles

McCourty 1,043 ST snaps since 2012 ... 110 in 2017
Thomas 328 ST snaps since 2012 ... 0 in 2017
Also, Earl Thomas (I love him as a player) always had better talent around him. ALWAYS.

Giving up 41 points in SB52 when as some have said here, he was the best D player we had for the game? Never said he was bad. Just not a play maker. Thomas would cost us too much. I just think someone will give you picks or a good pick for a 31 year old DB living on a solid but not spectacular reputation (Harrisons age when the Chargers let him go. Would you say he was the better player at that point?)
DW Toys

Stop. McCourty is a quality safety, and you're ignoring his career over a cherry picked game. You do this sort of thing every time you get a wild hair across your ass about a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents