PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles this year vs Falcons last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
do you think they are similar? Both have potent offenses and a great Dline. They do some of the same things.

do you think they are similar? Both have potent offenses and a great Dline. They do some of the same things.

I do. I also think they are a bit different, too. Philly has 2 bigger backs and atlanta has the 1 in coleman.

Lines are similar.

One thing I am seeing is outright delusion and disrespect towards our D and how it’s a very good match up for our D vs their offense. Skill set-wise and options for Bb/Patricia, we have answers to counter their offense.

On the other side of the ball, as we all know, philly has not faced an offense like this all year and I truly believe their D will be gassed in the 4th qtr.

Malcom Jenkins runs his mouth and he was very mediocre in New Orleans until moving to Philly where he has only been slightly better. I truly don’t understand why mouthy people get a pass and become so overrated. I think Brady targets and shreds him. Gronk will be a nightmare for their secondary and their linebackers.

Players that do a lot of mouth running seem to become entrenched as overrated players.

Well they do both represent the NFC...

Man I thought you were talking about obnoxious arrogant fans. Man I tell ya, those jags fans are even worse than the Falcons fans. Falcons fans just had PTSD afterwards. Some of them seem to be getting over it, and acknowledged Brady is the GOAT.

We don't need to say anything about those eagles fans Jeff Laurie has supported. Jeff Laurie is a disgusting human being for allowing that crap to happen.

Man I thought you were talking about obnoxious arrogant fans. Man I tell ya, those jags fans are even worse than the Falcons fans. Falcons fans just had PTSD afterwards. Some of them seem to be getting over it, and acknowledged Brady is the GOAT.

We don't need to say anything about those eagles fans Jeff Laurie has supported. Jeff Laurie is a disgusting human being for allowing that crap to happen.

Yeah, Lurie I am not sure I trust. He comes off as a kraft butt kisser, but behind closed doors...i don’t know...

I give Foles credit for getting the Eagles to the SB. I think the Falcons were a better team at this point vs the Eagles. That being said any team can beat another team on a given day.

Go Pats

Not particularly. Atlanta had a historic offense and a lousy, but budding and fast defense. Philly has a terrific defense and a complete offense that NE is fortunate to face without their signal caller. At best, they are opposites, but I think Philly's O is a tougher match up than Atlanta's D last year.

Additionally, Atlanta's strength on O covered up that their OL wasn't that good, and got worse with Mack's injury. I don't see the same weakness-within-the-strength with Philly's D. Maybe the coverage in the middle of the field?

to/dr: they aren't very similar. :)

Nope.

ATL more potent offense
PHI superior defense.

FWIW:
Falcons 2016: PF 540 PA 406
Patriots 2016: PF 441 PA 250
Eagles 2017: PF 457 PA 259
Patriots 2017: PF 458 PA 206
The conclusion based solely on this stat: the 2017 Patriots are facing a significantly lesser offense but a very significantly stingier D (missing data point: PA or PF trends).

Eagles vs playoff teams: Of the 3 regular season games against playoff teams and their 2 playoff games, the Eagles are 4-1. Up until last week vs Minnesota, the Eagles had not won a game against a playoff team that wasn't decided until the last possession (one score outcomes). Based on this and based on Patriot SB history, expect next Sunday to be another CPR game.

Nope.

ATL more potent offense
PHI superior defense.

Would agree, but i also do not believe philly’s d is some kind of a juggernaut either.

I can still remembee when fans thought brandon graham was a huge disappointment in the 2010 draft, and how vinny curry was seen in the same light for a while and is wildly overpaid. I realize this means nothing on Sunday but a lot of this is coming from last week’s egg laid by minny and the media using wishful thinking, not wanting the pats offense to do well. Not the best match up for philly, and it will be by far and away the most overwhelming offense they will have faced all year.

Andrews will handle jernigan, bb will double cox and neutralize him with thuney and some help. I am sorry but chris long does not scare for 3 downs all game long. I envision dewayne allen playing a bit like a tackle where solder helps thuney with cox, and so forth. Bb certainly knows chris long’s weaknesses.

I think philly’s lb quality and secondary is a clear advantage for the pats, certainly more so than vs jax.

And, don’t get me started at how overrated tim jernigan is, as a disappointment in Baltimore.

Meanwhile, effective players like both flowers, the wildly underrated van noy, and rooks wise and butler will pose some serious problems for their front.

Vitai filling for peters has been an issue for them all year. Expect bb to scheme or induce plays to the weak side.

Last edited:
Would agree, but i also do not believe philly’s d is some kind of a juggernaut either.

I can still remembee when fans thought brandon graham was a huge disappointment in the 2010 draft, and how vinny curry was seen in the same light for a while and is wildly overpaid. I realize this means nothing on Sunday but a lot of this is coming from last week’s egg laid by minny and the media using wishful thinking, not wanting the pats offense to do well. Not the best match up for philly, and it will be by far and away the most overwhelming offense they will have faced all year.

Andrews will handle jernigan, bb will double cox and neutralize him with thuney and some help. I am sorry but chris long does not scare for 3 downs all game long. I envision dewayne allen playing a bit like a tackler where solder helps thuney with cox, and so forth. Bb certainly knows chris long’s weaknesses.

I think philly’s lb quality and secondary is a clear advantage for the pats, certainly more so than vs jax.

And, don’t get me started at how overrated tim jernigan is, as a disappointment in Baltimore.

Meanwhile, effective playess like both flowers, the wildly underrated van noy, and rooks wise and butler will pose some serious problems for their front.

Vitai filling for peters has been an issue for them all year. Expect bb to scheme or induce plays to the weak side.

Agree. Pats should put up between 27-31 points....if not more.

Eagles D bigger, Falcons faster , especially LB,s . Falcons had a great D in the playoffs last year . Falcons O better, Julio Sanu and co . RB,s advantage Falcons . For me the Falcons were a better team .

FWIW:
Falcons 2016: PF 540 PA 406
Patriots 2016: PF 441 PA 250
Eagles 2017: PF 457 PA 259
Patriots 2017: PF 458 PA 206
The conclusion based solely on this stat: the 2017 Patriots are facing a significantly lesser offense but a very significantly stingier D (missing data point: PA or PF trends).

Eagles vs playoff teams: Of the 3 regular season games against playoff teams and their 2 playoff games, the Eagles are 4-1. Up until last week vs Minnesota, the Eagles had not won a game against a playoff team that wasn't decided until the last possession (one score outcomes). Based on this and based on Patriot SB history, expect next Sunday to be another CPR game.
i think when we analyze full season stats we have to take into account that Falcons D last year really started getting much better in the latter half

The Falcons had much better offensive talent than the Eagles, the Eagles offense is all gimmick and smoke and mirrors without Wentz.

This is the second year in a row in which both #1 seeds in the respective conferences have made the SB.

You have to look at how last week's games played out. The Pats had to grind out a win and play 60 minutes. They know how to come from behind to win and didn't get flustered making mistakes down the stretch to take the lead. The Eagles, on the other hand, was blessed with a game in which everything went right for them. The Vikings laid an egg on both sides of the ball. How will the Eagles play when they are behind? Is their offense a come from behind offense? Defensively, the Eagles aren't as fast as the Jags and some of those screens passes the Pats attempted may work against this defense. The Pat have too many options to shred a defense. The talking heads are pumping up the Eagles to placate the majority of fans who want to see them win. Note they never say the Eagles ARE the better team, but, speak of all the things they have to do to win. They are quantifying how they can win, not that they WILL win.

Will our pats be trailing after the 3rd quarter? I wouldn't be shocked but i hope we finally have a lead going into the 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes