PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Duke traded to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are more worried about a wasted pick than the fact the secondary is stacked then you are missing the point.

This is the first sensible post in this thread.

I know it sucks that Dawson didn't work out. Injuries were a factor plus the fact that not one, not two, but THREE UDFA'a all developed into quality players (Jones, Jackson, and Crossen). So while we excoriate the guy who has kept afloat a dynasty for 20 years with his personnel choices for missing so often in the 2nd round (though I take umbrage with including Wilson on that list), let's remember the final results of his choices.

One of the best things about Bill is that he has no ego in the draft. He is not afraid of making mistakes or taking chances. He knows that the draft is a crap shoot from the first round on. All you can do is your best preparations and take your shots. Some years you are a rock star (like this year) and some years you look like an idiot. Bill doesn't care. So while the mediots will spend the next few days pondering Bill's "failures", he will go about doing what he's done for the last 20 years, which is grinding it out and ignoring the noise.

BTW- now he's likely got a better 6th round pick than he gave away to get Cunningham.

Bravo, Ken. exactly this. If Jones (UDFA), Jackson (UDFA in Dawson's year), and Crossen (Low round pick in Dawson's year) hadn't shown more than expected, Duke would be on the Pats 53 this year.

He missed his first year, pretty much, even though they brought him back at the end, and found himself behind what might well be the deepest and strongest secondary in the league (especially if Williams keeps growing).

I won't be surprised to see Dawson playing pretty well for the Broncos at CB or safety (which is where I think he belongs). But he ain't no JC Jackson, J Jones, Stephon Gilmore, or McCourty.

There not but who cares about one when the other is stacked.

Anyone who understands that they blew a second round pick should care. If you don't, you don't understand how the draft works.

Richards was by far a bigger reach.
I'd rather have a reach who plays than a guy who was drafted in the ballpark of where the "experts" think and never suits up a single game.

So if he goes to the Broncos, makes the team and plays is he still a bad pick?

Nope. It just wasn't a fit. Some people are in love with their 20/20 hindsight and fetish for labelling players as busts.

There not but who cares about one when the other is stacked.

Oh you should care. Many starting caliber players were drafting after him and we even traded up.

So if he goes to the Broncos, makes the team and plays is he still a bad pick?
I don't know why people twist themselves into knots to say that people aren't bad picks if they hang around on another teams roster. He was drafted to play, and play well here. He did neither. That makes him a bad pick.

Is this a wink-wink deal or their is no reason for that?

I'd rather have a reach who plays than a guy who was drafted in the ballpark of where the "experts" think and never suits up a single game.

The little Richards did play, he was by far the worst player on the field. He’s one of the worst players I’ve ever seen in a Pat’s uniform. His inability to shove JuJu out of bounds still baffles me.

Is this a wink-wink deal or their is no reason for that?

We're kind of jam packed at safety, no? At least when Chung comes back...

Nope. It just wasn't a fit. Some people are in love with their 20/20 hindsight and fetish for labelling players as busts.

Team "A" doesn't draft for team "B". "Just wasn't a fit" = bad pick

This is logic 101

Definitely a big miss. I wanted Tyquan Lewis or Justin Reid there, but I tried to talk myself into liking the Dawson pick. Reid looks like an ascending free safety this season, which we could use as an understudy for McCourty, and Lewis played quite well last year when he returned from injury, so that adds to the sting of taking Dawson. Ah well. It's in the past now -- and I've certainly had plenty of misses, so it's hard to complain too much if the pros make a mistake -- but it doesn't just wash out because other players took the spot. We can still grade it as a failure, which is the point that Deus made.

Overall, the team building was enough to overcome the miss. Thanks in large part to the contributions of UDFA CBs, we won another Super Bowl last year, but that doesn't mean that we're as well situated for future success as we would be if we hit on a second rounder.

JJ Williams is the truth, though. I'll die on that hill. :cool:

The streak is still alive, no cut.:eek::p

But probably best for both parties. I think this locks in Crossen.
Crossen looked good last night. I think the fourth preseason game has at least a little meaning.

Anyone who understands that they blew a second round pick should care. If you don't, you don't understand how the draft works.

The second round is not an island.

The goal is putting together the best talented football team to challenge for a Super Bowl.

As long as year after year you do this, what does it matter that your strategy is to look for reaches in the second round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes