PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Duke Dawson GIF study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really good stuff, thanks for posting!!!!

Think many of you will be pleasantly surprised with Dawson's abilities. He's going to see the field in every three corner package, at minimum, and comes with some upside.

View attachment 20265

Comparing his technique in press against Jackson's (look for my posts earlier today for his breakdown) is such a huge difference. Better hips, good patience, has his hands under control. He shows awareness to come off his primary responsibility and make a strong tackle against a big RB.

He can carry vertical routes with ease from a press alignment. More importantly, he has the awareness to find the ball, peel off from his guy, and prepare to make a tackle if the other receiver catches the ball.

Again, comfortable in press, clean feet, good balance, and can blanket the receiver downfield.

Doesn't panic despite the push off, comes back to make a hit, and breaks up the pass. Quick feet, locked in on the play, and plays with a physical attitude. I'll take it, even though he was initially beaten on the route. I do think it was borderline OPI (or at least they would have called it on Gronk, ha!) but he keeps his composure and just makes the play.

Questions remain. How is he in the slot? Can he play some zone? How is his awareness if he's not locked up man to man on every snap? Well, check out this interception. Ball skills and head's up play.

I'm limited to 5 GIFs per post, so I'll be back tomorrow to add more from other games. This will be fun!

Really good stuff, thanks for posting!!!!

You're very welcome! Let me know if you have any specific requests for types of plays (or any of our other draft picks; I can start a new thread for each one), and I can try to cut more clips. Dawson has a great sense of timing to knock away the ball. Very physical tackler, too.

So what’s our CB depth chart look like?

I read somewhere the Pats have been scouting this guy since last year...they must really like him.

@BobDigital

I remember you were a little concerned about the nature of his interceptions (more right place, right time rather than good ball skills), so I tracked down some of his other interceptions to assuage your fears. I hope these are more what you're looking for!

Thanks. I did mention that yes and it is a minor concern of mine.

The first gif you posted here is more of a gift interception IMO. The WR is suppose to cut to the inside but then broke off the route to try to turn into the open field but he was possibly the hot read and didn't know or just ran the wrong route. It seemed the QB had every intention of throwing to that spot quickly so i have to believe the WR just screwed up.

The 2nd gif was the best pick he ever made. Yes the ball was inaccurate and at best would have been incomplete even Dawson wasn't there. The QB threw it over a yard behind the WR i think. Still he made a great break on the ball and those are the kind of Ints I like to see.

I don't want it to sound like I'm not giving him credit for making the play or I think picks are all that matter. Interceptions are much a matter of luck and risk. Samuel as we all know had a lot of picks here but he also took a risk to get them and sometimes got burned. So obviously jut getting a bunch of interceptions doesn't mean your playing CB amazing.

I still am not convinced he has that great ability to read, react and jump a route that some guys do but if he doesn't it isn't a big deal. However one of the faults of the Patriots D recently is no one seem to be able to make those kind of plays and that is annoying.

So what’s our CB depth chart look like?

Right now The CB depth is like this

Outside: Gimore McCourty Rowe JC Jackson Crossen Webb Ryan
Slot: Dawson J. Jones C. Jones Wiltz

Of that group I think the real contest is between which of Rowe/Jackson/Crossen stick and which of C. Jones/Wiltz stick if either.

Probably by the end of camp it will be Gilmore, McCourty, Dawson, Rowe, Jackson, J. Jones.

I don't see Cyrus making it and Crossen is interesting but raw and hopefully make the PS. Everyone else is probable camp fodder but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft