PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dugger 4 yr extension $58 mil

Let's see the details, but let's also remember that the CAP has soared and will again.
It’s a big number, but the cap is growing so rapidly that I feel like it’s not as high as we think it is.
Yes, the cap is growing and everyone is happy...but who do you think pays for it all? Yes, the fans are the one who pay extraordinary prices for tickets, concessions and merchandise. I'm just saying, not *****ing or trying to start something.

Yes, the cap is growing and everyone is happy...but who do you think pays for it all? Yes, the fans are the one who pay extraordinary prices for tickets, concessions and merchandise. I'm just saying, not *****ing or trying to start something.
Revenues and therefore the cap increase primarily because of TV contracts.

Lots more extensions to do! Look at the 2025 free agent list.

Judon, Peppers and Barmore are hopefully the top priorities.
Aren't we in talks with judon for an extension? I'm definitely all in with peppers and BEAST-more.. absolutely should be resigned asap. All we need is the offense to be marginal and I like our chances in any game this upcoming season.

Cap went up $30M this year because of language in the CBA. It was a one time big jump. It will go up but not at the historic rate it did this year. It was unfortunate for the Patriots to have all that cap space and no one to spend it on. Because of the big boost each team received, they were able to Franchise the stars and keep them out of Free Agency. The money the Patriots had to spend was useless. I commend the team for not spending big money on average Free Agent talent and then turning around and signing the players they drafted and developed. A few more left to do.

Revenues and therefore the cap increase primarily because of TV contracts.
I know how it works. In the end it's a tax on all of us.

That is alot. Mayo must really see him as key to this defense and i guess im fine with it. Next up barmore and peppers (unless they feel a pure fs would be better next year).

I like him but I don't love him. I hope paying him doesn't stand in the way of signing someone like Barmore in the future.

Cap went up $30M this year because of language in the CBA. It was a one time big jump. It will go up but not at the historic rate it did this year. It was unfortunate for the Patriots to have all that cap space and no one to spend it on. Because of the big boost each team received, they were able to Franchise the stars and keep them out of Free Agency. The money the Patriots had to spend was useless. I commend the team for not spending big money on average Free Agent talent and then turning around and signing the players they drafted and developed. A few more left to do.
It is good that we are signing free agents with an eye towards 2025, 2026 and 2027. We weren't really damaged. We have signed our own and a few replacements. We can spend much more money in the next off-season. We can focus on extensions.

I would argue that the situation helped us to NOT spend a lot of 2024 cap money on players that wouldn't be here for our first division run. Our forced focus on our own is a really good thing.

I like him but I don't love him. I hope paying him doesn't stand in the way of signing someone like Barmore in the future.
We have plenty of cap money in 2024 and 2025, and we can always work out a contract for Barmore, one of top 3 extension priorities.

Feels a bit like an overpay at 4 years $58m ($66m max) given they had him for a year at $13m. You would have imagined that 4 years $48-52m max would have been the deal. He will be almost 29 next off season and his price is more likely to be less than $13m rather than more.

All said that, glad we have him long term. Another BB drafted player locked up.

Right, I don’t understand how the transition tag didn’t give us more leverage with this. If he was worth 15m a year what stopped teams from offering this contract or a little more?

I am glad to see them extending someone.
Duggar is a good player. He could get better.
I wish they had done Barmore first.
But this does send message to players "If you play and work hard" this organization will reward you.
Maybe a bit of an overpay. However they do need some stable veteran presence on this team without teh constant yearly turnover at every position.

I am glad to see them extending someone.
Duggar is a good player. He could get better.
I wish they had done Barmore first.
But this does send message to players "If you play and work hard" this organization will reward you.
Maybe a bit of an overpay. However they do need some stable veteran presence on this team without teh constant yearly turnover at every position.
First, we focused on the 2024 free agents. Dugger was one of those. There were other players extended. We tended to say re-signed, but the result is the same.
================
The order from now on depends on whether a deal can be reached; it takes two. Personally, I expect that Judon and Peppers will be easier to extend than Barmore who has yet to have his first chance at free agency.

Right, I don’t understand how the transition tag didn’t give us more leverage with this. If he was worth 15m a year what stopped teams from offering this contract or a little more?

If both the team and the player wanted things to end this way, then other teams would have gotten that message and not made a priority out of him. Big FA signings are a big rock thrown in the pond for salary equity issues for teams. Players already on the roster can get stirred up. If the word was that the player wanted to stay home, then you don't bother.

Also, the player's agent may have very quietly tested the waters with other teams and come back to the Pats with numbers that helped shape this contract.

They don’t spend money: WHAT ARE YOU DOING, DO SOMETHING!
They spend money: yeah, I wouldn’t do that.
This place is remarkable.

A much needed extension.

First, we focused on the 2024 free agents. Dugger was one of those. There were other players extended. We tended to say re-signed, but the result is the same.
================
The order from now on depends on whether a deal can be reached; it takes two. Personally, I expect that Judon and Peppers will be easier to extend than Barmore who has yet to have his first chance at free agency.

Agree. And the recent huge contracts of the super star DT's will make the value calculations more difficult for Barmore.
Looking at this NFL Active Player Contracts it seems it'll take a $25M bonus and $25M year over year for four years? I'm far from an expert on this.

Also, the player's agent may have very quietly tested the waters with other teams and come back to the Pats with numbers that helped shape this contract.
This is the way I understand the situation.

The team often allows a player to go out and find out what he's worth, with the idea of trying to match the deal. The tag makes this a much better process for the team, GUARANTEEING the right to match.

Perhaps, we will use the non-exclusive tag more in the future.

If both the team and the player wanted things to end this way, then other teams would have gotten that message and not made a priority out of him. Big FA signings are a big rock thrown in the pond for salary equity issues for teams. Players already on the roster can get stirred up. If the word was that the player wanted to stay home, then you don't bother.

True, they wouldn’t prioritize him. But if a team really wanted dugger and could offer him say 4 years 60M what would stop them from trying to get him for that? The worst thing that can happen is the patriots match and you don’t get him, same result as not doing anything but at least you tried.

I guess i just didn’t get all the reported disappointment over when he got this tag, if his value is more you would think offers would come in. But it seems a smart tool for the team negotiation wise, worked well for Baltimore when signing Lamar.

Agreed, this is another thing of note that wolf and Mayo spoke on is retaining your own guys.. have to give the organization credit for doing so. It does great things for the culture of the team going forward.
One of the reasons we’ve been told that Belichick wasn’t as aggressive in signing his own guys is because he wanted the players who craved winning, and sometimes once a player wins they lose their edge. Been there, done that, etc. Well, I guess that really isn’t a problem anymore anyway since they haven’t been winning! ;)

So basically we just resigned a bunch of players from 4-13 team, including Dugger who was a massive liability in coverage last year, this makes zero sense to me...

We have basically managed to blow the cap just to retain players who couldn't get us 5 wins...really hate this move!

Barmore would have made a ton more sense.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back