PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe, QB Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bledsoe is one of the nicest people that have played for the pats. He is a great family man and is great in the community. I also think he handled the demotion a lot better than many would have expected.

However this is a guy whose family life was more important than football as a player. Coaches put in much more time than players do. You want a role model for Mallet as a person, none better than Bledsoe. But you want a QB coach- get a pro qb coach.

I was not a big fan of Bledsoe's QB abilities, but if he didn't handle his demotion with the class that he did, he could have split the 2001 locker room in half and destroyed the Pats chances. If it's true that he grew less supportive as the season went along, then I'm even more impressed that he kept quiet about it.

I didn't mean that he was a cancer. I just said he and Brady's relationship kinda fell apart as the season went along according to rumors. I didn't mean that Bledsoe was a divisive in any way. Just that he probably wasn't mentoring Brady much past the first month or two.

I was not a big fan of Bledsoe's QB abilities, but if he didn't handle his demotion with the class that he did, he could have split the 2001 locker room in half and destroyed the Pats chances. If it's true that he grew less supportive as the season went along, then I'm even more impressed that he kept quiet about it.

But he didn't keep quiet about it. He criticized BB in the media. He went to Kraft to try to get him to tell BB to play him. He was reported as trying to divide the lockerroom.
The fact that he failed to split the locker room doesn't mean he was a good soldier. The team just rallied behind Brady and ignored the way Bledsoe handled it.

Bledsoe is one of the nicest people that have played for the pats. He is a great family man and is great in the community. I also think he handled the demotion a lot better than many would have expected.

However this is a guy whose family life was more important than football as a player. Coaches put in much more time than players do. You want a role model for Mallet as a person, none better than Bledsoe. But you want a QB coach- get a pro qb coach.
It amazes me that people really believe they know what kind of person someone who plays for their favorite team and they have never met in person is.
Seriously, how would you know any of this? There are good people and bad people everywhere, and public persona is one of the worst yardsticks you could possibly use.

But he didn't keep quiet about it. He criticized BB in the media. He went to Kraft to try to get him to tell BB to play him. He was reported as trying to divide the lockerroom.
The fact that he failed to split the locker room doesn't mean he was a good soldier. The team just rallied behind Brady and ignored the way Bledsoe handled it.

That is what good locker rooms do.

That is what good locker rooms do.
Sure, but that doesnt mean Bledsoe gets credit for being a good, unselfish teammate who was above being divisive, because that is just not true.

Sure, but that doesnt mean Bledsoe gets credit for being a good, unselfish teammate who was above being divisive, because that is just not true.

I'm not disagree, i was just trying to highlight a positive. Bledsoe didn't handle it very well, but that doesn't mean he's a terrible person. I like Bledsoe and with him well.

I'm not disagree, i was just trying to highlight a positive. Bledsoe didn't handle it very well, but that doesn't mean he's a terrible person. I like Bledsoe and with him well.
I have nothing against him either, I just have a problem with revisionist history and praising someone for being something they were not.

I have nothing against him either, I just have a problem with revisionist history and praising someone for being something they were not.

Drew was much more successful with the Boston media than he was with the locker room. The full page thank you was very well played.

This thread itself does not make me laugh, but him telling his wife that he's going to go coach football and showing her the pay cut he will be taking does.

I met Drew and his father Mac twice. I always got the sense that Mac was the iron and the drive in that duo. Drew was the golden armed kid, but, didn't have the savoir-faire for the game. He also seemed like he was waiting around for someone else to lead. He might have the mechanics part of the game imprinted in his mind, that doesn't mean he can coach/mentor/correct/lead. The fact that he has never pursued that also says a great deal.

Love Drew but I think society would be better served if #11 remained focused on his winery.

A buddy of mine tasted his Cab. Said it was very good.

Thanks for the memories Drew. You were an awesome Patriot that brought some wild and fond memories to many thousands of homes in the NE area. Your contributions will not be forgotten by most.

yeah...this is a great idea!!!...let's take it further..let's bring back Max Lane to teach our tackles his famous "Ole!" toreador moves
Now now, a guy can be a great teacher even if he can't make the moves himself. Piano teachers aren't all Mozart.

Drew OTOH did not show signs of accepting coaching, let alone being good at it.

But you know, it was a shame the way the other Bill left Max with no help against that preacher guy. And it wasn't all that brilliant to abandon the run when it was working. That was Drew's worst nightmare - being left in the pocket with no protection and no threat of a run.

Whew .... what one moment of panic will do to a great coach.

The team just rallied behind Brady and ignored the way Bledsoe handled it.
Largely due to the fact that they were winning and developing a character that they had not had before. And a lot of that new character was due to having a QB that was not only coachable, but was likeable and one of the guys.

Drew always struck me as not really knowing how to find a place on the team that endeared him to the entire team. He never seemed to settle into being the natural leader that Tom is. He just seemed out of place in some weird way.

Drew hated camp. That told me everything about his love for the sport and future with the sport. Drew probably got pushed into football and got caught being good enough to not be able to escape.

......Besides Drew is running his winery and living the good live, WTH would he want to work 12 hrs a day as an assistant coach?

:ditto: this

A silly OP has turned into yet another gratuitous Bledsoe bash-fest. How nice.... :bricks:

...here's the snap...and it's a screen!....ohhhhhhh...dyam...overthrows the running back by ten yards....looks like Drew still needs to work on his short passing game, Gino....Gino?????...[zzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ...]

(Joe Kerr accepts all gratuities, no matter the size...:D

Last edited:
It amazes me that people really believe they know what kind of person someone who plays for their favorite team and they have never met in person is.
Seriously, how would you know any of this? There are good people and bad people everywhere, and public persona is one of the worst yardsticks you could possibly use.

Well we don't. I spent 5 min with him at a united way function and he was extremely gracious. He could be beat his wife and kids, for all I know but friends of his on the team that did know him personally mirrored my thoughts about him. His desire to spend more time with his family over football was well reported.

That amazes you?

I think that the Pats should bring in Drew as the QB coach, he helped mentor Tom Brady and Tony Romo, one who went on to be a future hall of famer and the other a 3 time pro-bowler. I think we should bring him in to work with Ryan Mallet, their style of play is very similar.

:rolleyes:

This will NEVER happen. He is making way too much money over in Walla Walla and has time for his family and his parents in Whitefish.

No way will this ever happen.

I could see him doing that where he played college ball before this. At least that is a lot closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes