PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dream Team vs. Olypmic Team

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Michael Jordan Responds To Kobe Bryant: 1992 Dream Team Better Than 2012 USA Squad

"For him to make that comparison, it's one of those things where it creates conversation," Jordan said. "I guess we'll never know. I'd like to think that we had 11 Hall of Famers on that team and whenever they get 11 Hall of Famers you call and ask me who had the better Dream Team. Remember now, they learned from us. We didn't learn from them."

Well put, Jordan.

For Kobe to suggest this current team is even in the conversation with that 92 Dream Team is actually offensive - particularly before they've even won the Gold Medal.

Comparing the rosters, it's just laughable.

Starting 5:
Magic >>>>>>>>>> Paul
Jordan >>>> Kobe
Bird <<< Lebron
Barkley = Durant
Ewing >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chandler

As for Kobe's comment about them being out of their prime, really only Bird was, Magic was still playing at a very high level. Had Bird been in his prime, the Lebron comparison might be closer to a draw.

The bench - it's not even worth breaking down. That Dream Team bench was all (outside of Laetner) Hall of Famers. Now, you got a guy who doesn't even start on his own team (Harden) alongside a bunch of guys who haven't done more than play somewhat above average for mediocre teams (Igoudala, Love, Melo, Deron). At most, you'll get a couple HOFers out of that bench, but it's mostly just trash compared to the 92 Dream Team - and honestly only 3 guys from this team would even make the 92 squad (sorry Chris Paul, but John Stockton was a better PG).

What that 92 team did will never happen again. It was literally the best players in the game at a time when two great eras were overlapping (Bird/Magic and then Jordan), at the peak of basketball - the stars will never align like that again. You'll never get all the greats to line up to play like that again - and even if you did, I just don't know if the talent would compare.

Last edited:
What does it for me is the size. The US team's "big men" are Chandler, Kevin Love, and Blake Griffin (I know he's injured but lets pretend he's healthy since he was when Kobe said this). Compare that to David Robinson, Olajuwon, and Ewing at ages 26, 29 and 29, so none of them really being past their prime (Olajuwon was actually just entering his prime of becoming a lethal passer out of the post). The dream team would dominate them in the post, and contrary to popular belief, international style ball is a lot more post oriented than the NBA is.

It would be tough for them to guard Lebron because he's that much of a freak, but if old Shawn Marion + Tyson Chandler could lock Lebron up in the finals, then Scottie Pippen + Robinson or Olajuwon could do the same only better. The only real advantage team USA has is athleticism and shooting, but international ball doesn't have refs who reward sheer athleticism like the NBA does.

Also, for all the talk of how much better the competition has gotten, 1992 still had Croatia's team of Drazen Petrovich (woulda been the best international guard ever if he had a full career) and Toni Kukoc. That team would pummel any international team other than Spain and the US right now, while it would be a toss up with Spain.

The Drem team was a bit older. If they had the same guys playing in 88 Bird is maybe < less tha James not <<<, Kobe is dreaming.

The Drem team was a bit older. If they had the same guys playing in 88 Bird is maybe < less tha James not <<<, Kobe is dreaming.

Bird was the only old one though - he was the only guy past his prime. Common misconception about the others.

Jordan was 29, completely in his prime, coming off ring #2. Barkley, 29. Magic was 32, a year removed from taking LA to the Finals. Ewing was 29. Robinson 26. Drexler 30, just took Blazers to the Finals. Malone 29. Stockton 30. Mullin 29. Pippen 26.

Look at all their stats the season leading into the Olympics - they were all in the midst of their primes.

Jordan was averaging 30 with 6 assists, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 1 block.
Magic's last season was 20-12-7.
Pippen had just had a season that would rival Lebron now (21 pts, 7.7 rebounds, 7 assists, 1.9 steals, 1.1 blocks, and better defense than even Lebron can play.)
Malone was 28 pts and 11 boards.
Stockton was dishing out 14 dimes a game with 3 steals.
Barkley went 23-11.
Robinson was 23-12 with 4.5 blocks a game.
Ewing was 24-11 with 3 blocks a game.
Drexler had 25, 6.6 rbs, 6.7 asts
Mullin was 25.6 pts a game w/ 52% FG shooting.
Even Bird, who was the only guy not really in his prime was still 20, 8, 7 with 2 steals.

And these were done on actual teams. This isn't Kevin Love racking up stats on a pathetic TWolves team. Or Andre Igoudala being the only above average player on the Sixers. Or Deron Williams continuing to put up meaningless numbers. Or Carmelo Anthony, with the emptiest stats in the NBA. These were guys who went to the Finals, won rings, won MVPs, and consistently competed.

That team would annihilate the current team.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no validity to Kobe's comments. I don't even think that Kobe is buying what he is selling. He's probably just trying to stir the pot. But hey, that's fine with me. I like when people continue to talk about the Dream Team. After all, it really was the greatest basketball team ever assembled.

Hey Jordan... what's the spread?

Lebron says it again. These guys need to stop this is absolutely insulting to the guys that were the best, and the basketball era that was by far superior. The quality of NBA is complete **** now compared to what it was at that time and before. If nothing else, the fact that the Dream team had MJ and the massive frontcourt advantage would be enough. They probably wouldn't even need to bring Bird/Magic/Stockton/Drexler/etc into the discussion.

I'll comfortably take the Dream Team (and it wouldn't be close).

The crazy part is, this current team might lose this year. Would anyone be shocked if they lost to someone? I wouldn't be. There are 3 guys who would definately make the 1992 team from this years squad. Kobe, Lebron, and Durant. After that it's arguable. To think that the 1992 team didn't even have Dominique Wilkins, Isiah Thomas, Shaq, Tim Hardaway, Reggie Millier, James Worthy, etc. on it.

The crazy part is, this current team might lose this year. Would anyone be shocked if they lost to someone? I wouldn't be. There are 3 guys who would definately make the 1992 team from this years squad. Kobe, Lebron, and Durant. After that it's arguable. To think that the 1992 team didn't even have Dominique Wilkins, Isiah Thomas, Shaq, Tim Hardaway, Reggie Millier, James Worthy, etc. on it.

well, they almost lost the last game to Lith...i think they pulled it out by 4 or 5.

i love lebron....but i'd take bird over lebron in their primes

bird was ******* amazing

all time fave remains jordan though

I think in terms of indivudal talent alone, Lebron is arguably a better "player". Athleticism would be the difference maker there. However, if i were picking a team, and both were on the board when i drafted, I'd take Bird first. Bird is simply a better winner than Lebron. A team led by Bird, will be better than a team led by Lebron. I know people will disagree with me, and i don't think they'd be wrong to. i think a rational, and logical case can be made either way. I just think Bird has that intangiable quality that genuine badass mofo leaders have. I think Eddie Andelman used to call it the "it" factor. Bird personifies that. Bird, Magic, Jordan...pure money.

I think in terms of indivudal talent alone, Lebron is arguably a better "player". Athleticism would be the difference maker there. However, if i were picking a team, and both were on the board when i drafted, I'd take Bird first. Bird is simply a better winner than Lebron. A team led by Bird, will be better than a team led by Lebron. I know people will disagree with me, and i don't think they'd be wrong to. i think a rational, and logical case can be made either way. I just think Bird has that intangiable quality that genuine badass mofo leaders have. I think Eddie Andelman used to call it the "it" factor. Bird personifies that. Bird, Magic, Jordan...pure money.
I am of the firm belief that Bird, Magic and Jordan are all considerably better players than LeBron because they were all leaders of men. LeBron isn't a leader. He's a super talent who uses his superior athleticism to subjugate opponents. As his athleticism leaves him in his twilight years I suspect so will his performance.

Last edited:
I am of the firm belief that Bird, Magic and Jordan are all considerably better players than LeBron because they were all leaders of men. LeBron isn't a leader. He's a super talent who uses his superior athleticism to subjugate opponents. As his athleticism leaves him in his twilight years I suspect so will his performance.

So you missed LeBron leading the Heat in the Finals then?

So you missed LeBron leading the Heat in the Finals then?
Leading is different to playing better than everyone else because you're more physically gifted.

LeBron isn't a leader.

Leading is different to playing better than everyone else because you're more physically gifted.

LeBron isn't a leader.

So you just don't want to admit that LeBron led the Heat in the Finals, then?

EDIT: As a caveat, what did Bird do different, as a leader, in any one of his Finals appearances than LeBron in this past Finals? Please be specific.

Last edited:
So you just don't want to admit that LeBron led the Heat in the Finals, then?

EDIT: As a caveat, what did Bird do different, as a leader, in any one of his Finals appearances than LeBron in this past Finals? Please be specific.
Nope. LeBron was amazing throughout the entire Finals. Being an amazing player because you're physically gifted is one thing whereas being an actual leader is another.

I'm not going to get into this tit for tat with you because I know where it's going to end up.

Last edited:
Nope. LeBron was amazing throughout the entire Finals. Being an amazing player because you're physically gifted is one thing whereas being an actual leader is another.

I'm not going to get into this tit for tat with you because I know where it's going to end up.

Is that because you can't think of anything specific that Bird did differently as a "leader of men" in any one of his Finals appearances as opposed to what LeBron just did? If LeBron didn't lead the Heat, then who did? Chalmers?

Is that because you can't think of anything specific that Bird did differently as a "leader of men" in any one of his Finals appearances as opposed to what LeBron just did? If LeBron didn't lead the Heat, then who did? Chalmers?
No, I most certainly can. I'm choosing to ignore you because I know the circle work it entails.

Last edited:
No, I most certainly can. I'm choosing to ignore you because I know the circle work it entails.

Probably for the best then. You've been proven horribly wrong on just about every front when it comes to the Heat since the Big 3 came together.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back