PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drake Maye would be the IDEAL pick for the Patriots at #3

Too many people think we are going to rebuild in this draft with a magic trade. The Patriots are in position to either get a QB they like at a position of extreme need in the draft OR if they don't like the QB their consolation prize is that they get the best player in the draft who happens to be a generational prospect at another position of extreme need.

You aren't getting enough in a trade down to merit passing up either of those.

I 100% agree
Question is Maye and Daniel’s both that guy?
It seems we are hearing different all the time what Was is going to do.
It sucks we have to hope they pick wrong.

McCarthy is absolutely not interchangeable with Daniels. His bet bet is maybe someone takes a chance on him in the last third of the first round. But by that point, we would be in striking distance to trade up. Daniels is legitimately viewed as the third best prospect in the draft and someone who is likely to be taken by anyone who needs a QB after Williams and Maye are gone.

Taking Penix or McCarthy at 8 is nuts. You are basically throwing away the 3rd overall, not getting a high quality player, then overdrafting a QB who shouldn't be drafted that high because you feel like you need a QB all to get maybe an extra second? That insane.

Yeah there are other good WR's, but none are generational prospects that are complete layups. Whatever you net in a trade down isn't getting you something comparable to him at WR or another position later on. Too much of a dumb risk to stockpile assets that will be 50/50 plays anyways.

This team has one strategy that makes sense. Love the QB at 3 and get him or get MHJ and use your second overall to trade up and grab one of the other QB's in the late first.
Daniels reminds me of Mac. Doesn't have a great arm & was surrounded by a ton of talent in college. If McCarthy had LSU's weapons, he would have put up similar stats. McCarthy has the better arm & is by all accounts, the better leader. He's three years younger & has the potential to be the much better pro.

I agree with the idea of the trade down(s).

If skillfully done this could be a great start to a rebuild.

There are too many questions about the top QBs and less questions about the other top prospects at other positions.

Acquiring additional draft and player resources is preferable IMO, to a QB who you get “QB Beer Goggles” for because you need a QB.

Just because you need and want a QB, doesn’t mean one will appear.

In the end though, we have to trust that our QB evaluators know what they are doing
While it would be disappointing, I agree that the Pats should trade down if the whisperers don't like the available QB's at 3. Trading down would allow the team to fill more gaps and could give the Pats another chance at a top 5 pick next year if the trade partner has a bad year due to a year 1 QB.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love and Hurts draft (I can't believe that was already 4 years ago!) shows both Maye and Daniels could both be good NFL QB's as a draft can have multiple good QB's. If Washington takes Maye and Pats take Daniels or vice versa it might not matter that much if they are both good, then it is Buildng around them.

I've never seen a draft with so many different mocks for the 2 spot.

Both guys have flaws. Gun to my head, I'd take Maye. The next Herbert.

Those Den/Pit wins are looking costly lol.

I still say unless you think Daniels or Maye are THAT GUY you build a team, work on the lines, get some skill position talent and eventually put a QB in place to succeed. I honestly think building a team around a dirt cheap QB like Russel Wilson as a place holder until you’re ready sounds like a really solid option.

What do people think the Patriots will do? I personally think they will take Maye/Daniels at 3.
I think Its pretty obvious what we are doing, the only question is what is the QB's name.

I think it's Maye.

I keep hearing that we should not take Maye if he has to sit for a year. Wtf, if he can be a top 10 qb in 2025 and going forward, you take him and build the offense.

I’ll say Maye is the prospect that I feel the best about
Personality wise he reminds me of Peyton Manning.

I love JJ but I don’t see us grabbing him at 3.
I think in 4 years JJ could be the best out the group.
Anyone think Milton could put it all together?
Or is he another long list of freaks who can’t play QB in the NFL?

Sacks and ball security is why we're at this point.
Off the top of my head, I think Brady fumbled about 17 times in his first season.

Amazingly he only lost about 1-2 of them.

It doesn’t really matter who we want between Maye and Daniels… the WTF’s will decide our fate between the 2. If we are deciding on who is left between Daniels and JJ…then we have choices. I’m no longer going to get my hopes up between Maye and Daniels…it’s out of our control…we won’t have the ability to chose between the 2.

It doesn’t really matter who we want between Maye and Daniels… the WTF’s will decide our fate between the 2. If we are deciding on who is left between Daniels and JJ…then we have choices. I’m no longer going to get my hopes up between Maye and Daniels…it’s out of our control…we won’t have the ability to chose between the 2.
Wonder if Wash tries to fleece us out of a pick to move up one spot?

IDK… moving up is flirting with disaster IMO. Stand Pat or go no further down then 6.
It’s a tough one Wash may try to say they’re interested in whoever they think we are if they know they are capping.
May try to pry a mid round pick from us.

It’s a tough one Wash may try to say they’re interested in whoever they think we are if they know they are capping.
May try to pry a mid round pick from us.
Maybe. I don’t think the Pats should move up.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back