Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If you were the GM and both were available, who would you draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm almost convinced the Redskins take Maye at 2, so then it's Daniels vs McCarthy, or trade down. Daniels is a one hit wonder that had elite receivers. His frame is too slight to last at NFL QB. He doesn't like throwing over the middle. So now I'm down to McCarthy vs trading down.
My biggest concern with McCarthy is hand size.

Have other QBs done well with 9” hands?

Answering my own question.

Joe Burrow and Jared Goff both have 9” hands.
Pat Mahomes has 9-1/4”.

Last edited:
I have a nervous feeling if Maye goes 2nd NE will skip on JD and trade down. Ultimately I think JD goes 2nd and Pats take Maye 3rd, but who knows really.

I know very little about qb analysis.

But the one thing I think I know is that for the last 25-26 years a vocal minority (at times majority) has been chasing the „great white whale“. That is, the super mobile QB:
….
(the history is full of busts: Michael bishop, Malik Cunningham; and guys who found success, but no SB- Lamar Jackson, etc)

So whenever I see that crowd get excited by a prospect ( that is: Daniels); I want to run away as fast as I can. Don’t have anything analytical for that opinion-just gut feeling.

I liked BGC‘s writeup on McCarthy.
So for me; if Maye is gone either take McCarthy at 3 or engineer a slight trade down and take McCarthy later w more ammo (taking the chance that you have to settle for Penix in 20s with a WR taken in teens if someone grabs JJ too early.).

The problem with this decision is that we don't get to make it. Some other team gets to make it and we are left with the player they didn't want. By locking yourself into these 2 players, you're not making the right decision so much as you are hoping the other team makes the wrong one.

They get whomever is left at #3. No pressure. Just take the QB. They really have no control since they just get whomever falls to #3. Don't overthink.

Unsure why every media person is predicting that Wsh chooses Daniels.

Both guys should be very good QB's. I like the odds of Maye/Daniels succeeding more than JJ.

Unsure why every media person is predicting that Wsh chooses Daniels.

Both guys should be very good QB's. I like the odds of Maye/Daniels succeeding more than JJ.
Disagree JJ has that Mayfield Brady Swagger,

I have a nervous feeling if Maye goes 2nd NE will skip on JD and trade down. Ultimately I think JD goes 2nd and Pats take Maye 3rd, but who knows really.
What are your reservations on Daniels? “Slight” frame? I think he will bulk it up a bit and is the most NFL ready QB in the draft…but they have to give him weapons just like every other QB….but he is dual threat and would be exciting here! But I expect Foreskins to take him and we will draft Maye…..which I am also very good with….Maye has all the skills/talent just needs a year to grow/learn…..everyone else is a real wild card in the this draft QB wise imho!

What are your reservations on Daniels? “Slight” frame? I think he will bulk it up a bit and is the most NFL ready QB in the draft…but they have to give him weapons just like every other QB….but he is dual threat and would be exciting here! But I expect Foreskins to take him and we will draft Maye…..which I am also very good with….Maye has all the skills/talent just needs a year to grow/learn…..everyone else is a real wild card in the this draft QB wise imho!
I think I prefer Maye, but I’d also be happy with JD.

I'm not sold on JD. Is the view now that Maye goes 2nd?

I know very little about qb analysis.
Teams that do, like the 49ers (Trey Lance) and the Colts (Anthony Richardson) still screw it up.

Rule one. Don’t fall for the hype.

Disagree JJ has that Mayfield Brady Swagger,
Really easy when you have a dominant OL and, after cheating ringleader Conor Stallions was fired, JJM averaged only 166 passing yards for the rest of his games.

A team picking JJM over a battle tested Bo Nix is falling for the hype. Just like the Colts did with Anthony Richardson.

I'm not sold on JD. Is the view now that Maye goes 2nd?
No one knows. The betting markets (which are a poor predictor) have them as even. Maye has long been QB2. Maye might need more work than JD, but has a higher upside. OTOH, JD might have a more "whizbang" appeal, and I suppose WAS ownership could pressure their FO to take him, but that seems unlikely.

Both QB's have flaws. But I think both are guys who don't need everything around them to be perfect to win. That's important. Remember during the dynasty years, the Patriots did not need to go out and always get the best players on the market. They had a QB who made others better. I'm not suggesting they will be the next Tom Brady. However, they will be closer than any other QB in this draft sans Williams.

I see McCarthy as a Purdy/Jimmy G clone who needs alot of support to reach his full potential. Imo, that just isn't a guy you should draft ahead of the other two.

This board generally seems to prefer Maye over Daniels, but general consensus is that the Commanders, having a choice between the two, will select Daniels. So why the disparity? I mean, the Commanders front office are pros whose careers depend on this choice while this forum is just the peanut gallery. Is it the fit?

This board generally seems to prefer Maye over Daniels, but general consensus is that the Commanders, having a choice between the two, will select Daniels. So why the disparity? I mean, the Commanders front office are pros whose careers depend on this choice while this forum is just the peanut gallery. Is it the fit?
We just had 20 years of the greatest qb ever and he wasn't a running qb, he was a somewhat immoblile pocket passer. Dual threat qb's are always popular because they are exciting. They just never win anything.

We just had 20 years of the greatest qb ever and he wasn't a running qb, he was a somewhat immoblile pocket passer. Dual threat qb's are always popular because they are exciting. They just never win anything.
But Brady was the best at moving in the pocket.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back