PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drafting WRs...thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not overwhelmed with the list of UFA or RFAs:

2009 NFL Free Agents: WR

I like Roy Williams, but that doesn't seem too likely. Lee Evans is off the list now. Houshmandzadeh, I dunno, seems to be redundant to Welker.

Are you kidding? Much as I love Welker, TJ Houshmandzadeh is a much better wide receiver. The problem is that TJ would demand a Moss-like contract once he hits free agency. And he's not going to get that here.

Any WR core with Moss/Welker/Gaffney is in good shape. I don't think they need to look into a WR till the second day. The Pats need to do some better mining for prospects regardless. They haven't hit on 2nd day prospects in a while now. Though in the 2008 draft they seem to have hit on some decent late guys like Wilhite/Slater. And Guyton and BJGE look rather lucky UDFA pickups as well.

Are you kidding? Much as I love Welker, TJ Houshmandzadeh is a much better wide receiver. The problem is that TJ would demand a Moss-like contract once he hits free agency. And he's not going to get that here.

Any WR core with Moss/Welker/Gaffney is in good shape. I don't think they need to look into a WR till the second day. The Pats need to do some better mining for prospects regardless. They haven't hit on 2nd day prospects in a while now. Though in the 2008 draft they seem to have hit on some decent late guys like Wilhite/Slater. And Guyton and BJGE look rather lucky UDFA pickups as well.

"Much better"? Come on...

Welker 2007:
112 catches 1175 yards 10.5 ypc 8 TD 65 first downs

Houshmandzadeh 2007:
112 catches 1143 yards 10.2 ypc 12 TD 70 first downs

Define "much better". I would never in a million years think of replacing Welker in the slot with Houshmandzadeh - Brady is comfortable with Welker, and the production is nearly identical.

Last edited:

It's really not an either/or as far as their position goes. There's no reason Housh could play the slot and make a killing in the 10-15 yard curl zones. In fact, he'd be a perfect compliment to Moss and Welker. And it would allow us to get rid of Watson and get a tight end who can block and has hands.

All that being said, it's not going to happen. That would be far too much money invested in the WRs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes