PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft thoughts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we missed out on our 1st rounder :(

Might as well put this here. I'm giving Bill 2 years before I make a solid judgment. I'm going to wait this year, next offseason, next draft and then make a judgment about where we're heading.
It's frustrating and not what we're used to at the society. We want to know right now. We want to compete for every Lombardi Trophy. That's just not the way things work, anymore.
The good news is the NFL is set up, financially, to be a two to three-year League. So while where cash strapped this year we're also coming off a 20 year Super Bowl run. Next year we're going to have a hundred plus million, a ton of draft picks and a much better outlook on the roster.

Last edited:
I personally actually love the first 7 picks.

I agree. And, the last 3 are really shots in the dark. I like double and then triple dipping at OG/C. heck, the last pick might beat out Ferentz.

I see the ILB as insurance against an injury to one of the STO players, an OK use of a late pick.

Screenshot_20200425-222431_Chrome.jpg New York Post gives us a C+ for this draft:

I think the Bills had a sneaky good draft. Their elite defense got even better with AJ Epenesa (got him with a late 2nd). Added Zack Moss and Gabriel Davis for Josh Allen, in addition to Stefon Diggs.

Unless Stidham surprises us, I think they are the #1 team in the AFCE right now.

Might as well put this here. I'm giving Bill 2 years before I make a solid judgment. I'm going to wait this year, next offseason, next draft and then make a judgment about where we're heading.
It's frustrating and not what we're used to at the society. We want to know right now. We want to compete for every Lombardi Trophy. That's just not the way things work, anymore.
The good news is the NFL is set up, financially, to be a two to three-year League. So while where cash strapped this year we're also coming off a 20 year Super Bowl run. Next year we're going to have a hundred plus million, a ton of draft picks in a much better outlook on the roster.

A ton of draft picks doesn’t matter, if he keeps having mediocre drafts. Outside of the TEs, and we’ll find out soon enough if they are better than the more highly thought of TEs they passed up, and the two edge rushers (Uche & Jennings), the draft was an F. Trading down and passing on elite talent for good talent is not something the Pats have been extremely successful with.

Ignoring a legendary WR class is criminal. I for one do not have faith in Belichick as a drafter. Outside of the draft he does a good job as a GM.

Don’t forget the Eagles, their receiver draft may go down as legendary. Jalen Reagor, John Hightower, Quez Watkins, all run 4.3 or 4.4. Then they traded for Marquise Goodwin, who also runs a 4.4. Pure speed on that team.

Don’t forget the Eagles, their receiver draft may go down as legendary. Jalen Reagor, John Hightower, Quez Watkins, all run 4.3 or 4.4. Then they traded for

i was interested in BGCs take on the Pats draft...wanted to see his post first before i posted an over reaction lol. I cant stand the constant reach when BB picks. he gets guys in the 2nd and 3rd round that could be there in the 4th or 5th. BGC is right, this is about "red shirting" players and counting on them next year. We should also have a better cap situation to bring in talent. Dont like the trade with the @#$% Jets. Screw them. good content as usual BGC
The good news is the NFL is set up, financially, to be a two to three-year League. So while where cash strapped this year we're also coming off a 20 year Super Bowl run. Next year we're going to have a hundred plus million, a ton of draft picks in a much better outlook on the roster.
Im not really sure we need a time period to assess where this is going. It’s going the same way it has for 20 years with next man up at qb. We wouldn’t have won 6 SBs with any other QB ( or gone to 9, etc, etc) but we wouldn’t have sucked. Over the last 20 years we have continued to win despite weaknesses and probably overcame weaknesses every where but QB at one time or another.
It won’t be as good without brady but this team will contend year in and year out (yes this year too). Brady didnt win with a crap team brady elevated a good team to bring special and winning a large handful of critical games that few QBs could have won any of.
A heavy burden was placed upon the QB because that was the best place to put it to have the best chance to win. There are other ways to win. We will continue to win as long Belichick is here.

i am surprised they didnt draft a single wideout esp in the later rounds. Sounds like BB isnt in a hurry to improve speed on that position.

I think the Bills had a sneaky good draft. Their elite defense got even better with AJ Epenesa (got him with a late 2nd). Added Zack Moss and Gabriel Davis for Josh Allen, in addition to Stefon Diggs.

Unless Stidham surprises us, I think they are the #1 team in the AFCE right now.
Why would the bills be the favorite?
Our defense is better. Their QBs sucks. Their offense was awful last year.

i am surprised they didnt draft a single wideout esp in the later rounds. Sounds like BB isnt in a hurry to improve speed on that position.
Sounds like he is good with what he has.
He has won for 20 years with wrs everyone said suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes