PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Results for Other AFCE and AFC Competitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsWickedPissah

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sad to see that none of the opposing team regulars on Patsfans have had anything at all to say about their teams' draft and how it possibly impacts the 2009 season and Pats matchups. I can see why one time fluke Miami is not represented what with the cuting of Beck, the Future, and drafting WRs indicating that the fabled Ginn era is at risk, but what about the other teams? Buffalo?

I think the Bills had a really good draft. We're really counting on Maybin to come in and be an immediate contributor. The only knock on him is that he's not very good against the run. Hopefully that will be coached up. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Shawn Nelson can do. 6 foot 5 tight end with 4.52 speed in the 40. Huge passing threat with great hands. He might be able to step right in and make a difference as well. Time will tell with the O-line draft picks. The center, Eric Wood is a big man that will be able to plug those gaps. Nic Harris looks to be gem. He's a LB converted to safety. I saw most of the footage from the Senior Bowl and he looks impressive with good coverage skills as well as closing speed. Not to mention he's a little bit taller than what we currently have on the roster, something the Bills have lacked for quite a while in the defensive secondary.

I was hoping the Jets would pick best available defensive player @ #17, or trade down from the 17 for more picks, the lack of depth the Jets have has been a concern for years now. However I have caught Sanchise fever. To move up from #17 to #5 and only give up a 2nd and Coleman, Ratliff and Elam, that is the cheapest I have ever heard of it costing to make a move like that. Kudos to Tannenbaum.

I am never in favor of giving a RB a high pick in the draft, Shonn Greene in the top of the third was a good value pick in that draft slot. That said I still feel like the Jets paid too much for him when you consider how much it cost the Jets to move up for him.

Greene should contribute next year in week 2, IMHO. I have never watched him play, just going off what I have read about the kid.

I hope Sanchez works out, if not it will set the Jets back another 3 years. Charming kid, seems to have the IT factor.
My guess is that Kellen starts next year, for no other reason then he has been in the system for so long.

Ramble.

I give the Jets draft a B, There is a lot of upside to the players they picked and the Jets also acquired Litto Sheppard with one of there picks, and as of now the Jets next year draft is intact. Changes to an A++ if Sanchez can become the franchise.

New coach, new D system, no Favre, My gut tells me the Jets will be a better team this coming season then last. I don't think the Jets have gained on the Patriots, I am looking forward to finding out.

Sanchez.jpg

Sanchez.png

Last edited:
For sake of comparison, here are each team's draft:

Bills
1.11 - DE/OLB Aaron Maybin
1.28 - C Eric Wood
2.42 - CB Jairus Byrd
2.51 - G/T Andy Levitre
4.121 - TE Shawn Nelson
5.147 - SS Nic Harris
6.183 - CB Cary Harris
7.220 - CB/FS Ellis Lankster

I thought this was a great draft. In particular the Bills got excellent value with every one of their day two picks. Only thing missing was a LT to replace Jason Peters.

Dolphins
1.25 - CB Vontae Davis
2.44 - QB/WR Pat White
2.61 - CB Sean Smith
3.87 - WR Patrick Turner
4.108 - WR Brain Hartline
5.161 - TE John Nalbone
5.165 - FS Chris Clemons
6.181 - OT Andrew Gardner
7.214 - OLB J.D. Folsom

Davis was one of the two best CB's in this year's draft, and the 6'5 Turner will help out Miami's passing game. White is a winner and very athletic, but I thought that may be a bit too soon to draft him there, and I also thought Hartline went too early.

Jets
1.05 - QB Mark Sanchez
3.65 - RB Shonn Greene
6.193 - G Matt Slauson

Not much quantity but very good quality. Jets had a gaping hole at QB and they filled that with Sanchez. Now he needs someone to throw it to, with the departures of WR Laveranues Coles and TE Chris Baker. Don't forget the Jets also picked up CB Lito Sheppard in a trade; he'll have more immediate impact than a rookie would.

Patriots
2.34 - SS Patrick Chung
2.40 - DT Ron Brace
2.41 - CB Darius Butler
2.58 - T/G Sebastian Vollmer
3.83 - WR/KR Brandon Tate
3.97 - OLB/ILB Tyrone McKenzie
4.123 - G/T Rich Ohrnberger
5.170 - T/G George Bussey
6.198 - LS/DE Jake Ingram
6.207 - DT Myron Pryor
7.232 - QB/WR Julian Edelman
7.234 - DT Darryl Richard

And on top of all that the Pats also picked up two additional 2nd round picks in 2010. Only thing missing is an OLB as McKenzie is expected to transition from OLB to ILB.

I think the Bills had a really good draft. We're really counting on Maybin to come in and be an immediate contributor. The only knock on him is that he's not very good against the run. Hopefully that will be coached up. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Shawn Nelson can do. 6 foot 5 tight end with 4.52 speed in the 40. Huge passing threat with great hands. He might be able to step right in and make a difference as well. Time will tell with the O-line draft picks. The center, Eric Wood is a big man that will be able to plug those gaps. Nic Harris looks to be gem. He's a LB converted to safety. I saw most of the footage from the Senior Bowl and he looks impressive with good coverage skills as well as closing speed. Not to mention he's a little bit taller than what we currently have on the roster, something the Bills have lacked for quite a while in the defensive secondary.

Check on Maybin. Good pick except possibly for the run issue I was unaware of.

As to the TE, I'm not a college football fan but the Pats historically and sadly hysterically have had problems defending against quality TEs.

My problem with The Williams' draft is that I don't see what was done to replace your departed LT. That is a non-trivial position.

As to the Jets. If Sanchez is a viable franchise QB, then the Jets draft gets a B, only because there were no other notable additions. I have my doubts.

As to 2009, the Jets D looks improved on paper, HOWEVER potential franchise QB or no, Sanchez and/or wasted pick Kellen is goin DOWN against the Pats twice this year. He won't get a 3rd (playoff) shot like Pennington earned.

As to the Jets. If Sanchez is a viable franchise QB, then the Jets draft gets a B, only because there were no other notable additions. I have my doubts.

As to 2009, the Jets D looks improved on paper, HOWEVER potential franchise QB or no, Sanchez and/or wasted pick Kellen is goin DOWN against the Pats twice this year. He won't get a 3rd (playoff) shot like Pennington earned.

====================================================

B, coming from you thats quite a compliment.

Have you seen any of the Sanchez interviews post draft? What do you think of Sanchez?

====================================================

B, coming from you thats quite a compliment.

Have you seen any of the Sanchez interviews post draft? What do you think of Sanchez?

Sadly, asking me about Sanchez is akin to asking the villiage idiot (e.g. Wide Receiver) since I have never seen him or any other college player play or be interviewed (OK I did see one interview with Sea Bass). That is why I said IF HE IS A FRANCHISE QB. IF.

Last edited:
I am never in favor of giving a RB a high pick in the draft, Shonn Greene in the top of the third was a good value pick in that draft slot. That said I still feel like the Jets paid too much for him when you consider how much it cost the Jets to move up for him.
Greene should contribute next year in week 2, IMHO. I have never watched him play, just going off what I have read about the kid.

Whats the deal with Thomas Jones? I didnt know anything about him being mad until they mentioned it during the draft. Whats his deal?

Check on Maybin. Good pick except possibly for the run issue I was unaware of.

As to the TE, I'm not a college football fan but the Pats historically and sadly hysterically have had problems defending against quality TEs.

My problem with The Williams' draft is that I don't see what was done to replace your departed LT. That is a non-trivial position.

The word from OBD is that when Levi Jones is released from the Bengals, the Bills are going to make a huge play to get him.

I saw an interview with him where he talked about walking around the draft after he had been selected and he walked by a bunch of Pats fans who started chanting "Ryan Leaf, Ryan Leaf, Ryan Leaf....."

He laughed about it and said hey that's what you get in a big rivalry. The fact that he didn't take himself too seriously and had thick skin was refreshing. If he wasn't a Jet I'd be rooting for him.

Oh and the real Ryan Leaf would have started screaming "Get the fcuk away from me", LOL.

Whats the deal with Thomas Jones? I didnt know anything about him being mad until they mentioned it during the draft. Whats his deal?

==========================================================

Jones wants more money, I doubt he will miss any mandatory practices.

Going from Memory, he will make $800,00 this year, which doesen't sound like a lot, but when you factor in his signing bonus, and his base salary from his first 2 years, he is getting paid a little above average. He has little leverage and I suspect will have to Play out this contract, at least for this season.

This is his 3rd year in a four year contract.

FWIW I'm very impressed with Sanchez in both his ability and demeanor. If the Jets can be patient with him not setting the world on fire in his first year then I think he'll be a very solid franchise QB for them. Jets fans will quickly turn on him though (ala Gholston) if he isn't OROY.

Besides being the Jets QB I can't find a reason to hate Sanchez yet. He seems to have self confidence and has said all the right things you want to hear. I think he is going to be pretty good as long as he has a good QB coach that can teach him through the rookie blues.

As far as drafts, if you minus our two 2nds we got next yr.{which you can't} Buffalo would have from a armchair gm view, the best looking draft. Their needs were glaring and they addressed many holes.

Miami? They did alright too. Davis and Smith were strong picks and value picks as well. Pat White like many pundits have mentioned is probably one of the most interesting players in this draft. Personally I hope he fails because imo if the wild cat is proven successful it could ruin the NFL. It is a college football abomination and belongs in college football.

Yes I will post my opinions so you can not read them and start the smack talk. Sounds great. :rolleyes:

Yes I will post my opinions so you can not read them and start the smack talk. Sounds great. :rolleyes:

No. You'll post your opinions on that blog of yours and then proceed to change your mind about guys once their cut. Contradicting yourself at each turn.

EDIT: BTW, have you learned how to use spell check yet?

Last edited:
No. You'll post your opinions on that blog of yours and then proceed to change your mind about guys once their cut. Contradicting yourself at each turn.

EDIT: BTW, have you learned how to use spell check yet?

I'm not going to spell check on a messageboard. I don't give a **** if I spell works right or not. And who did I change my mind about? Enlighten me. And don't say Wes Welker, I was wrong about him, I know that. He's a premiere slot receiver that will never be able to be a perimeter guy. I know this.

And speaking of blog, how come I have one and you don't yet you claim to be a football genius? Hmm.... And yes, that archive was given to me by the owners of the site. You don't appear to be as highly regarded by your peers.

Last edited:
I'm not going to spell check on a messageboard. I don't give a **** if I spell works right or not. And who did I change my mind about? Enlighten me. And don't say Wes Welker, I was wrong about him, I know that. He's a premiere slot receiver that will never be able to be a perimeter guy. I know this.

And speaking of blog, how come I have one and you don't yet you claim to be a football genius? Hmm.... And yes, that archive was given to me by the owners of the site. You don't appear to be as highly regarded by your peers.

All a blog amounts to is a proverbial 'soap box'. Yes. If you you want to start to change someone's opinion about being an idiot, you should spell-check. It practically does it for you.

Sanchez certainly has the off-field bravado to lead our team, and he has confidence, but I just don't see that translating to the football field. This guy is inconsistent and he struggles at making a good deep throw. He reminds me a lot of another Pennington except with a slightly stronger arm, but less brains. He is already having trouble with the out routes. I'm not a Sanchez fan in the least.

I think our steal was landing Shonn Greene. He is going to be a beast. A workhorse.

Last edited:
I expect Sanchez to turn out well. Maybe not in year one, but eventually. Shonn Greene was one of my favourite RBs. So two players I liked, but hopefully it turns out they gave up too much.

Bills draft was hit and miss in terms of guys I liked. Levitre was the best guard in the draft, imo, and along with Wood should help. Maybin and Jairus Byrd I wasn't so keen on. Shawn Nelson looks like a solid roll of the dice.

Miami I thought did really well. The first 6 or 7 picks could all help in year one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes