PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Donte Stallworth to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the Pats finally answer the begging of posters such as me, Deus, JackBauer, etc. and just draft a 2nd round WR in 2013 that can operate as a deep threat/#3 WR? I'm so sick of these fragile slow old guys occupying the position.

Awesome. 2 wrs and 1 te and 3 rbs...not a lot to work with...

Man injuries racking up now..edleman..gronk...him..talib..dennars

Last edited:
I didn't hear or see it but on another site, there were these two quotes :

"I've been told Gronk is ready, willing and able to play."

"Reiss said this morning that Gronk is wanting to get back in now."

Guess we'll see . . .

Then you got guys like this who say Gronk is done for the year....

Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: Star tight still on the mend for fantasy owners - SBNation.com

Don't know where either side of this debate would have any truthfulness right now

I hope he waits until the playoffs. Or until the Jags game to dust off any rust. We can beat the 49ers without him though - I really believe it. Then the Dolphins and Jags of course, too.

However, I think the Pats can still get the 1 seed. And that might be the only reason I want him back to help them win. I'm really confident they'll beat the 49ers and win out vs the Dolphins and Jags. And I think the Texans will lose one of 2 against the Colts or against the Vikings, making them finish 13-3 and giving the Patriots with the tie-breaker & home field advantage if they meet in the Conference Finals (that would be huge)

IMO Gronk will be better with real time game action prior to playoffs. I hope they start working him back and building up playing time.

Branch for Stallworth - I understand Stallworth has better deep ball ability but i would take Branch any day over Stallworth. Brady knows where Branch will be without have to look at him.

Wonder who is in for Shincoe - Gaffney ? Another d back ? Another interior D lineman ? We will know soon

Last edited:
I really have to wonder if he's actually injured or not. He was interviewed post-game and he seemed fine. I'm guessing they're just making room for Branch.

Last edited:
Can the Pats finally answer the begging of posters such as me, Deus, JackBauer, etc. and just draft a 2nd round WR in 2013 that can operate as a deep threat/#3 WR? I'm so sick of these fragile slow old guys occupying the position.

We tried that....

Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson said hi

This team has failed with drafting WRs in round 2 ..better off with a bonafide veteran WR who is somewhere between 26-31 years of age before risking another dud....get a proven FA AND THEN gamble in the draft for a decent WR in the mid rounds.

Last edited:
Absolutely hated the IR-DTR designation when Shiancoe got it, worthless. Disappointed to see Stallworth on IR too.

Then you got guys like this who say Gronk is done for the year....
Two things :

1) When he says "done for the year" he's talking regular season, when almost all fantasy seasons end. For our purposes, we shouldn't need him vs. Jax and Mia so if he doesn't play against SF then "done for the (fantasy) year" isn't that relevant to us.

2) There is zero indication from that that there was any actual information, just a guess. Reiss being quoted (although I didn't hear it myself), that's different. Doesn't mean he will return but he sounds like he can.

I'm happy for Stallworth for what he got -- one big play, 4 games of salary, and a shot at a Super Bowl ring.

Two things :

1) When he says "done for the year" he's talking regular season, when almost all fantasy seasons end. For our purposes, we shouldn't need him vs. Jax and Mia so if he doesn't play against SF then "done for the (fantasy) year" isn't that relevant to us.

2) There is zero indication from that that there was any actual information, just a guess. Reiss being quoted (although I didn't hear it myself), that's different. Doesn't mean he will return but he sounds like he can.

O.K...I understand

Whew,didn't like reading that initially,but now I get it :cool:

I really have to wonder if he's actually injured or not. He was interviewed post-game and he seemed fine. I'm guessing they're just making room for Branch.

Agreed. Dont get IR designation. If it was that bad he wouldnt do interviews. Branch knows playbook but speed is gone Stallworth still got that speed deep threat. Why IR him? You need room derrick martin is on the team. Come on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

We tried that....

This team has failed with rookie WRs...better off with a bonafide veteran WR who is somewhere between 26-31 years of age (Hartline,Wallace,Jennings) before risking another dud....get a FA then gamble in the draft.

Last edited:
We tried that....

This team has failed with drafting WRs in round 2 ..better off with a bonafide veteran WR who is somewhere between 26-31 years of age before risking another dud....get a proven FA AND THEN gamble in the draft for a decent WR in the mid rounds.

Maybe third times a charm? :) I agree though the history is not on the pats side, especially when you sprinkle in Tate/Price in the third rounds.

2012: toast Branch/toast Stallworth
2011: Ochocinco
2010: Brandon Tate
2009: Sam Aiken

The last four years the third WR spot has been occupied by complete stiffs. Maybe there is a Josh Gordon clone in this draft.

2m Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss
1 follow-up on Donte' Stallworth: Wasn't available for final 25 minutes vs. Texans. Final play was TD catch. Nice way to go out.

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss
My sense on Stallworth is combo of injury/roster management. Need more depth at WR; don't have luxury to hold his spot while injured.

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss
Because Patriots thin at WR, when Stallworth was sidelined for final 25 minutes, took away ability to go 3 WR. Can't be handcuffed like that

Last edited:
Maybe Jab is on his way to NE

We tried that....

How about picking a wr that the scouts sais is good and not someone they said you should avoid, say someone like Chad Jackson who the scouts told BB to avoid but he didn't. He trusted other people than the scoutes and that didn't really work out.

This news kind of sucks. Stallworth was a huge improvement over Branch. I know that Branch knows this playbook extremely well, but he is slow and can't get any seperation. Stallworth knows the playbook and can get open down field as we saw in the game. I'm sorry but Branch is a 4-5 option at wr, at best. He has been really good for us other years but age has not been kind to him. You can have any magical connection with Brady, but if you can't get open then you can't. No connection can help that. I think fans have a hard time accepting this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick