PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't Expect Too Many Contributors From The Draft [MOD EDIT]

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Folks seem ready to fill lots of holes with draftees. IMO, we hope for 3-5 contributors each yeae, and most of those in the 2nd or 3rd year.
==========
THIS YEAR - ONE SCENARIO
1) a QB at #3

2) an OT starter at 34 or in the first after a trade up with a 3rd or 4th0 (the quality is there)

3) a second OT in the 3rd or 4th (the quality is there)
==========
SUMMARY (using all of picks in the first four rounds)
We would do very well in the early and get a top QB, and 2 badly needed OT's, one that will probably not be a major contributor as a rookie.
===

I’m expecting a lot. How can you not when you are sitting among the top of each round? Nothing less than crushing this draft is acceptable.

This isn’t proposition 1 1/2 here. The teacher/coach ratio is like 2-1 vs the 53 with all the coaches they hired.

I do like the NFL's 2024 FA crop though...there are a ton of defensive players out there...we could fill all holes on defense and be a top 3 defense with 2-3 big signings in FA.

Then on offense, I just resign our offensive players (Henry, Bourne, and a few others) as well as back up/veteran QB (Brissett?). Then maybe grab a swing OT or a RT in FA. Not sure we will be able to sign one of the premier WR's (Higgins, Evans, Pittman, etc..).

That should leave us with only needing a young QB, two LTs, and WR/TE's in rounds 4-7. I am up for trading back into the late 1st/mid 2nd to grab our OTs if needed.

Why?? Because BB is still making the selections?? Ok.
Wasn't it Groh who peacocked about his Boney T coup?

91 receiving yds in '23

Nbc Peacock GIF by Manifest

I

and you should expect nothing less if they are drafting the right players. And the coaches are doing their job.
and so does ZERO staffs in the NFL.

I suggest that you prepare to be disappointed.

Lol I have learned to not expect much from our draft picks for a while now. I am hoping that will change now with the new regime.
I expect a QB and 2 OT's with the top 4 picks. For me, anything after the 4th is gravy, although we do well in the late rounds.

I do like the NFL's 2024 FA crop though...there are a ton of defensive players out there...we could fill all holes on defense and be a top 3 defense with 2-3 big signings in FA.

Then on offense, I just resign our offensive players (Henry, Bourne, and a few others) as well as back up/veteran QB (Brissett?). Then maybe grab a swing OT or a RT in FA. Not sure we will be able to sign one of the premier WR's (Higgins, Evans, Pittman, etc..).

That should leave us with only needing a young QB, two LTs, and WR/TE's in rounds 4-7. I am up for trading back into the late 1st/mid 2nd to grab our OTs if needed.
I'm fine with all of this except the plan for LT's. I don't want to depend on the 2nd and 3rd/4th round for our LT's. If that is the plan, I would expect to trade up using our 2nd and 3rd.

Lol I have learned to not expect much from our draft picks for a while now. I am hoping that will change now with the new regime.
Isn't that sad we feel that way as fans? Lol

Four good players is about as good as it gets.
The Steelers picked 4 HOFers (a few of them shouldn't be in the HOF). The Saints had a pretty food draft a few years back with Lattimore, Ramcyzk, Marcus Williams, Kamara, Anzalone, and Trey Hendrickson. The Seahawks 2012 draft with Russel Wilson, Bobby Wagner, and Bruce Irvin was also another home run.

So basically 3 drafts in history were absolute home runs (with the Steelers being a grand slam).

Until this new regime disappoints, I'm going to assume every pick is an all pro. Ya know, unless their highlights are garbage lol. I understand managing expectations, but I'm going to start off as an optimist with rose colored glasses.

Not expecting rookie to be able to contribute just means you aren't good at drafting. Bluntest way to put it.

The Steelers picked 4 HOFers (a few of them shouldn't be in the HOF). The Saints had a pretty food draft a few years back with Lattimore, Ramcyzk, Marcus Williams, Kamara, Anzalone, and Trey Hendrickson. The Seahawks 2012 draft with Russel Wilson, Bobby Wagner, and Bruce Irvin was also another home run.

So basically 3 drafts in history were absolute home runs (with the Steelers being a grand slam).
1995 Pats draft was the best of my lifetime (granting that drafting Brady alone made a draft one of the best ever….).
1st round - Ty Law, NFL HOF
2nd round - Ted Johnson, potential Patriots HOF
3rd round - Curtis Martin, NFL HOF

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft