PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins eye Caserio for GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got 3 defensive starters out of 2012 -- Jones, Hightower, and Dennard. Good ones. So Hightower was playing out of position because of injuries. Is that really the issue here? Is 3 starters from a draft really not good enough??? Does Tavon Wilson, Jake Bequette, and Ras-IR-Dowling really ruin everything? That's asking for God to be drafting, not a human.

No he has to at least hit on all 7 natural picks or else it is a major fail :)

Doesnt matter. They didnt do anything which the pats didnt.
One WR doesnt make a difference in the end. Team is a sum of parts. ATL had no excuse of falling apart this yr and they did . They mortaged their future for a WR and didnt build roster depth . Pats survived because of the roster depth. Easy to get carried away with all these explosive WRs and I would love to have them but not at the price dmitroff paid. And he paid it dearly this yr.

ATL got hit with the injury bug to a bunch of their skill players. They def didn't have a focus on their backups as NE did. If those players hadn't gone down though they had a good chance to make a run in a tough division with both theSaints & the Panthers. They rolled the dice in 2013 & crapped out.

Sometimes the comments on this forum sound like they would be more appropo for a Cleveland Message board.. could things be better, of course.. but this is an incredible run, enjoy it.

Parcells was not in charge of the draft in 1996 when Tedy Bruschi and Milloy were drafted. In fact Belichick was the one who wanted Milloy.

Also say the Pats did what Atlanta did and traded
1st-#28 which turned into Chandler Jones in 2012 and Shane Vereen
2nd-#60-which turned into #73 Steven Ridley and #138 Marcus Cannon
4th-#125 which turned into 2nd rd 2012 Tavon Wilson

1st-#31 which turned into #25 Hightower
4th-#126 which was traded to move up to get Hightower

So Pats would have given picks that turned into Chandler Jones, Shane Vereen, Ridley, Cannon, Wilson and Hightower.

So in 2011 we got one starter out of all that wow really happy!! Tavon Wilson should have never been drafted in the 2nd round REACH! Cannon is backup an Ridley fumbles too much in critical spots. Vareen in the 2nd round for a third down back too high, like the player but too high.

Don't think the use Hightower right in this D. Go watch him at Bama great blitzing LB and edge rusher Comes to the Pats and they have him cover which he sucks at. Not using the player's talents.

ATL got hit with the injury bug to a bunch of their skill players. They def didn't have a focus on their backups as NE did. If those players hadn't gone down though they had a good chance to make a run in a tough division with both theSaints & the Panthers. They rolled the dice in 2013 & crapped out.

ATL completely neglected the trenches. Injuries be damned, this team was never going to go anywhere with what they had up front.

And not to take things too literally, but while maybe "you" can only name Branch, Welker, Moss, and Gronk as "players Brady has been given", I wasn't aware that Brady is only given pass catchers and isn't given blockers, running backs, or a defense so Brady doesn't have to be perfect every time. I'd like to think Brady has been given Light, Mankins, Dillon, Faulk, Ridley, Vareen, Blount, Gaffney, Edelman, Hernandez (ugh), Solder, Vollmer, Koppen, Neal, Brown, and Woodhead just on offense during this time. But apparently those guys aren't good enough to be considered weapons for Brady.[/QUOTE]

You make my argument for me. For a team who has had the most draft picks half those guys you listed came from other teams.

Why is it that when Moss, Dillion, Welker, Harrison come to the team their the best player on the team when they have had ton of draft picks?

So in 2011 we got one starter out of all that wow really happy!! Tavon Wilson should have never been drafted in the 2nd round REACH! Cannon is backup an Ridley fumbles too much in critical spots. Vareen in the 2nd round for a third down back too high, like the player but too high.

Don't think the use Hightower right in this D. Go watch him at Bama great blitzing LB and edge rusher Comes to the Pats and they have him cover which he sucks at. Not using the player's talents.

Still wouldn't trade that for Julio Jones. Sorry rather have what they drafted. Atlanta is going to regret trading all those picks for a WR.

And not to take things too literally, but while maybe "you" can only name Branch, Welker, Moss, and Gronk as "players Brady has been given", I wasn't aware that Brady is only given pass catchers and isn't given blockers, running backs, or a defense so Brady doesn't have to be perfect every time. I'd like to think Brady has been given Light, Mankins, Dillon, Faulk, Ridley, Vareen, Blount, Gaffney, Edelman, Hernandez (ugh), Solder, Vollmer, Koppen, Neal, Brown, and Woodhead just on offense during this time. But apparently those guys aren't good enough to be considered weapons for Brady.

You make my argument for me. For a team who has had the most draft picks half those guys you listed came from other teams.

Why is it that when Moss, Dillion, Welker, Harrison come to the team their the best player on the team when they have had ton of draft picks?

Of the 19 players listed above 12 were drafted by NE. And Neal was giving his first NFL deal with NE.

Still wouldn't trade that for Julio Jones. Sorry rather have what they drafted. Atlanta is going to regret trading all those picks for a WR.

I doubt Atlanta has anything even approaching a regret about that trade. It was an excellent trade for them.

Drafting 250+ LB's who can't cover and the middle of the field which has been wide open for the last several years. Look at the lack of INT's by our LB's in a passing league. Why is BB drafting players to stop the Bus, Marion Butts and so on? Those days are long gone my friend, but for some reason he keeps drafting those types of players. Collins has been a breath of fresh air.

Only drafting one true edge rusher in 14 years in Chandler Jones again in a passing league.

The love of the overly fat D-linemen who again is waiting for the Bus and Marion Butts to come crashing through that line. Seymour is the last DT who could move and get to the QB. Again we are not in the early 2000's and it is a passing league.

HOF QB and you could only name 4 players he has been given. Branch, Welker, Moss, and Gronk. Why isn't one of the best QB's of all time not surrounded year in and year out with the best talent?

Parcells drafts were key to helping those teams win those Super Bowls. TY, Willie, Teddy, Milloy, and Ted Johnson.

Belichick's idea is you draft big LBs to go with 3 down lineman so that you can always have an extra DB out there. It's not supposed to be 7 big guys and 4 DBs any more. He wants to go 6 big guys and 5 DBs. But with Wilfork out, and Spikes/Hightower in there, the plans went awry. I thought Adrian Wilson was going to even allow him to go 5 Big guys + Wilson + 5 DBs.

Greg A. Bedard ‏@GregABedard 21m
Maybe Caserio's tired of having Belichick, on some picks, ignore the scouting department's advice. But it is his castle.

So, the implication is, if it's a bad pick, it's all on Belichick. Caserio and the scouts never touted a guy who didn't pan out.

Huh? Only Moss, Welker, Dillon, Blount, Gaffney, and Woodhead came from other teams. There were 20 players listed. That's 30%, not 50%. And Welker, Blount, and Woodhead weren't drafted by *anyone*, they were UDFAs who got cut by their original teams -- how should that count against the Pats?

For your second comment, Moss was a top 10 talent who fell to 21 due to personal issues. He was the "best player on the team" because he was a top 10 talent to begin with. As for the rest of those guys, I think you're just being too subjective. Are you sure Welker was the best on the team and not Mankins? Dillon the best on those teams and not Light? In my opinion, I think you're putting too much value on skill position players rather than the trenches.

Most importantly, you're missing the free agent/trade whiffs. I would bet that the ratio of free agent/trade "best player on the team" versus number of free agents signed and trades made, would be approximately the same as a similar ratio for draft picks.

I doubt Atlanta has anything even approaching a regret about that trade. It was an excellent trade for them.

Yeah, but maybe they should.

Did you see the patriots injury list ? They have a 100 mill dollar QB and dmitroff as the gm to put together the pieces like BB and caserio did here. Rolling the dice unfortunately results in inconsistency and 4-12 after a NFCCG is not very good at all.

And not to take things too literally, but while maybe "you" can only name Branch, Welker, Moss, and Gronk as "players Brady has been given", I wasn't aware that Brady is only given pass catchers and isn't given blockers, running backs, or a defense so Brady doesn't have to be perfect every time. I'd like to think Brady has been given Light, Mankins, Dillon, Faulk, Ridley, Vareen, Blount, Gaffney, Edelman, Hernandez (ugh), Solder, Vollmer, Koppen, Neal, Brown, and Woodhead just on offense during this time. But apparently those guys aren't good enough to be considered weapons for Brady.

Would any of these players be take in the first round of a fantasy draft?

If not, then the draft pick = failure.

Well, that's certainly a new standard. :bricks: I had no idea that we were playing fantasy football (which has nothing to do with real football).

Probably not, but they might if he doesn't re-sign or breaks his foot for a 3rd time.

I still wouldn't give up that many picks to move up in a draft.

Drafting 250+ LB's who can't cover and the middle of the field which has been wide open for the last several years. Look at the lack of INT's by our LB's in a passing league. Why is BB drafting players to stop the Bus, Marion Butts and so on? Those days are long gone my friend, but for some reason he keeps drafting those types of players. Collins has been a breath of fresh air.

Only drafting one true edge rusher in 14 years in Chandler Jones again in a passing league.

The love of the overly fat D-linemen who again is waiting for the Bus and Marion Butts to come crashing through that line. Seymour is the last DT who could move and get to the QB. Again we are not in the early 2000's and it is a passing league.

HOF QB and you could only name 4 players he has been given. Branch, Welker, Moss, and Gronk. Why isn't one of the best QB's of all time not surrounded year in and year out with the best talent?

Parcells drafts were key to helping those teams win those Super Bowls. TY, Willie, Teddy, Milloy, and Ted Johnson.

not every day you get a Marion Butts mention on this board…...

It got them to an NFC Title game, a 10-6 record, and to a 4-12 record. Certainly they made the right decision in that they evaluated Jones correctly - he is talented and contributed, much better than the Colts' evaluation of trading a 1st rounder for Trent Richardson, for example. The question is whether doing that versus keeping their picks and filling in with other players would 1) have proceded a better record over that time and/or a possible Super Bowl win, and 2) would produce a better record in 2014-2015 as well - beyond that point, JJ could be available in free agency. I'm guessing you and I have different opinions on the matter, as I wouldn't have done the trade for that reason even if I were confident in my scouting team's evaluation of Jones.

I believe you mean first overall. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes