PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Belichick Last Beyond 2023, and What Needs to Happen?

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I know people would like to discuss this, so given that Bill has already said he's coming back for the 2023 season, and it would be pretty surprising to see Kraft move on from him - barring a refusal to make changes - what do you think needs to happen for him to last beyond this season? And do you think he can make enough moves this offseason to make them competitive enough to be a factor next January?

With free agency two months away, it should be interesting to see people's outlooks a couple of months from now. Hopefully, we'll see some good moves including within the coaching staff.

I want Belichick to stay as long as he wants. Admittedly, I am biased as he is my #1 favorite person in sports. Ever.

Another season of stupid mistakes and penalties might make me hedge a little. However, I have faith he will target the glaring issues this offseason.

I have less faith in Mac, but I am ok seeing a year 3 with a real OC before flushing him away. Rather see Zappe get a shot, but that doesn't appear likely.

Thread lock in 3, 2, 1.

:excited:
No, I started this one. We're good. 2023 is going to be a critical season in this regard, so there's a little more validity about next year being a possibility than there is this offseason.

I think Kraft sees marketing potential in BB's pursuit of Schula, not overt but by way of building fan interest leading to more national tv coverage leading to more $$$. Kraft's also a fan and would like it to happen on his watch. He just needs Bill not to mess things up like this year. So, as long as BB gets the boat pointing in the right direction again he stays.

I think Kraft sees marketing potential in BB's pursuit of Schula, not overt but by way of building fan interest leading to more national tv coverage leading to more $$$. Kraft's also a fan and would like it to happen on his watch. He just needs Bill not to mess things up like this year. So, as long as BB gets the boat pointing in the right direction again he stays.
I dunno, the last time they hyped a coach passing another coach on the all-time list, the team lost to the worst team in the league in a nationally televised game who didn't win another game all year.

I dunno, the last time they hyped a coach passing another coach on the all-time list, the team lost to the worst team in the league in a nationally televised game who didn't win another game all year.
I don't think they'll roll out a marketing campaign around it but you know Bill wants it (he likes to aw, shucks that stuff but look at the name of his boat) and Kraft wants it - as long as BB can convince Kraft that this year's mess is a one-off.

Bill has to concede and understand offensively he can’t do it all on his own.

Patricia I feel like was a guy he felt he can control and be someone who he can funnel decisions through.

He has to let someone new come in and spark life into this offense. Defense he’s doing just fine with.

It's going to be tough. I don't know if another .500 season would be enough, or if an early playoff exit would also potentially be the tipping point. Sort of feels like he's backed into a little bit of a corner but the expectation should be a significant amount spent on free agency, and hopefully retaining guys like Jakobi Meyers, and Jonathan Jones, while potentially adding a significant weapon or two on offense and adding depth in the secondary.

Looking back at this season, one thing that stands out is the fact that they were essentially in every game, which as I said in another thread is a testament to the fact he's still near the top of his game in terms of game-planning, etc. The drop off this season came on the offensive side of the ball and special teams, with both hopefully being addressed this offseason.

Hypothetical : Kraft decides to move on. A stacked team (à la Bucs 2020) grabs him and they win it all. Does the owner want that to happen ? Not saying it will - or that it’s even a likely scenario - but the chances are ‘more than zero’.

Would be tough for Kraft to watch GOAT qb & HC leave and succeed elsewhere.

It's going to be tough. I don't know if another .500 season would be enough, or if an early playoff exit would also potentially be the tipping point. Sort of feels like he's backed into a little bit of a corner but the expectation should be a significant amount spent on free agency, and hopefully retaining guys like Jakobi Meyers, and Jonathan Jones, while potentially adding a significant weapon or two on offense and adding depth in the secondary.

Looking back at this season, one thing that stands out is the fact that they were essentially in every game, which as I said in another thread is a testament to the fact he's still near the top of his game in terms of game-planning, etc. The drop off this season came on the offensive side of the ball and special teams, with both hopefully being addressed this offseason.
I think the big drop off was how situationally dumb the team was. And also how they dont have the leaders to get in the faces. Too many nice guys in slater and mcourty but no one like edelman or brady . The leadership void is a big one which saw all the players talking back and talking openly to the media about coaching and playcalling and offensive system etc.

This team will probably only improve slightly in record (9-8 or 10-7) and I only say that because the schedule will be tough, because we'll likely be breaking in some new coaches at the start, and maybe a QB, BUT I expect them to be playing their best football at the end of next year, and for them to be highly dangerous.

I don't think it's unreasonable to hope for 10-7 and AFCG, but that does mean you go up against Buffalo or KC or Cincy on the road, maybe 2 of them.

Hypothetical : Kraft decides to move on. A stacked team (à la Bucs 2020) grabs him and they win it all. Does the owner want that to happen ? Not saying it will - or that it’s even a likely scenario - but the chances are ‘more than zero’.

Would be tough for Kraft to watch GOAT qb & HC leave and succeed elsewhere.
The Chargers with a new coach might be the top team in the AFC

The Chargers with a new coach might be the top team in the AFC
I’m a hater, but most ppl like Herbert. We’ll see. I see costly picks and a loss this weekend.

Reactions: Ian
I think he will have to win a playoff game next year or he could be gone. I think Kraft's patience is wearing thin about this team not being competitive for a title or at least to have a puncher's chance in the playoffs.

This year Belichick coached like he was an anti-Belichick. He has another subpar coaching performance next year, it might be the end.

I think if Jonathan gets control of the team by the end of next year (let's face it, Bob is 82. So it is possible) that Belichick may be gone unless the Pats make a decent run in the playoffs. I don't think Jonathan has the loyalty to Belichick that Bob has. But that is just me speculating.

Money should be spent on the OL, assuming quality players are available.

Not enough WR’s to warrant that spending. Either bring back Jakobi or trade for one.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back