PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Belichick deserve to win 'Coach of the Year' Honors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
And by that..... I mean both him and the entire Patriots coaching staff
  • Preparing Jimmy G for his first NFL debut in a heavily anticipated season opener on the road, in what remains one of the biggest upsets of the season (Pats had no Brady, no Gronk, or Nate Solder)
  • Having to unexpectedly coach up a rookie QB on a shortened week for a primetime game against Houston - resulting in a shocking shut out of a playoff (and eventually going 3-1 without Brady). Josh McDaniels also shares credit for making an entirely new gameplan around Brisett
  • Overseeing a drastic improvement in the O-line, with the help of Dante Scharneccia
  • Making dramatic in-season changes to reinvent the Patriots defense, through a plethora of scheme changes, controversial decisions (trading away their star player, Jamie Collins, benching one of their top Cornerbacks and Pass Rusherd), and under-the-radar players like McCellin, Van Noy, and Rowe. Defense currently ranks #1 in PPG through Week 15 (credit Matt Patricia with helping to implement this time experimenting)

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Definitely, would be best if Scar could win it as an assistant though. Or if there was a seperate award for that. He got Cannon paid big time.

IMO, it's between Belichick and Gase with BB having the edge.

Does Belichick deserve to win Coach of the Year Honors?

20161121_lockerroom.jpg

"Awwwwww, yeah!!!" :)

Last edited:
BB's average is greatness. Even with that measuring stick he's having a phenomenal year.

If you are a true fan of good football, how could you not love and appreciate what BB gives to the game.

Del Rio will win it. He has the power of the narrative behind him..

That being said, BB should win it every ****ing year but won't unless they go undefeated / dominate the league in 2007 fashion as long as Brady is around.

Gase has done a great job but I think it's going to Del Rio. Belichick usually deserves it but expectations always favor those who are rising over those maintaining greatness.

And by that..... I mean both him and the entire Patriots coaching staff

• Preparing Jimmy G to make his first NFL debut in a heavily anticipated season opener on the road, in what remains one of the biggest underdog upsets of the season (Pats had no Brady, no Gronk, or Nate Solder)
  • Having to unexpectedly coach up a rookie QB on a shortened week for a Thursday night primetime game against Houston - resulting in shocking shutout of a playoff contender (and eventually going 3-1 without Brady). Josh McDaniels also shares credit for making an entirely new gameplan around Brisett
  • Overseeing a drastic improvement in the O-line, with the help of Dante Scharneccia
  • Making dramatic in-season changes to reinvent the Patriots defense, through a plethora of scheme changes, controversial decisions (trading away their star player, Jamie Collins, benching one of their top Cornerbacks and Pass Rusherd), and under-the-radar players like McCellin, Van Noy, and Rowe. Defense currently ranks #1 in PPG through Week 15 (credit Matt Patricia with helping to implement this time experimenting)

Thoughts?

If BB coached the Rats, I expect he would have gotten rid of Sheldon Richardson, or another malcontent and the fans would be up on arms about the return on the trade, like happened with the Jamie Collins trade.

Now,the Pats defense is playing outstanding, while other teams held onto their similar situation players and wonder "what happened?"

Garrett or Del Rio I'd imagine will win.

Of course he does. He should have won in 2013 too. But he's not going to win it. Since this is not the coach of the year award. It's the surprise coach of the year award.

Last edited:
He deserves it most years (well, maybe not last year for how the team finished and pissed away HFA). In fact, you could argue that, as long as he is coaching, the Award should just be called "Best Coach Not Named Belichick."

Going 3--1 with 3 QB's in the first four weeks was pretty remarkable.

If they close out the season at 14--2 (assuming the game in Week 17 is meaningful), it should go to him...especially after beating BAL and @DEN the way they did.

But, they'll probably give it to someone else.

If MIA makes the playoffs, I could make a strong case for Gase. If OAK somehow gets #1 Seed, as much as it pains me to say it, it could go to Del Rio.

No HC maximizes their talent more than BB. Who on the offense will make anyone's all pro team aside from Brady, now that Gronk is gone. Cannon probably should, but who knows who Marcus Cannon is outside of NE. While we certainly have plenty of "good players", we don't have any of those "guys that scare you" talent now. And although we have also have good players on defense as well, there are no "fearsome" players that everyone knows about across the country with big stats or names, like Miller. Mack, and the Seattle DB's.

No its Brady and a bunch of guys, who have become low level names because they play here and get a lot of TV time. Yet despite the lack of great INDIVIDUAL talent, the Pats are always thought of as one of best TEAMS in the league, but outside of Brady no one knows exactly why that is. We do though, its the coaching, stupid. Because THIS is the game where coaching effects the final product on the field much more than any other sport

But its what sparks all the cheating rumors, when other teams think they have better players and still can't beat the Pats, simply because BB is using the players he does have better than the other guy. Some owner thinks, I have great players, struggle to be over 500 for a few years in a row, and these guys have won 10 or more for over a freakin decade. It can't be ME or my failings, so it has to be something shady going on there. :rolleyes:

Even Brady is partialy a product of playing well within the team concept. He's the GOAT, but name a physical skill he has that would scare you. He is literally the self made GOAT. He's no Cam or Mariota, or even Tannyhill as far as physical skills go. But even beyone his maniacal will and brilliant mind, Brady is a product of good coaching, so he got to maximize his skills within the team concept.

Brady is the GOAT (have I mentioned that), but on this TEAM, he just another guy who does what he's told And though he probably has better access and more imput than most (which he's earned), in his OWN mind, he's still just a guy on the team. BTW- its Brady's willingness to be coached hard and acknowledge the team heiarchy, is what makes it so easy to control that locker room. When the GOAT is the first to get there and the last to leave, works harder than you do, follows all the rules, it's hard to b!tch about anything going on in your situation.

Last edited:
Del Rio will win it. He has the power of the narrative behind him..

That being said, BB should win it every ****ing year but won't unless they go undefeated / dominate the league in 2007 fashion as long as Brady is around.

Garrett has to be in the mix too, right? Two rookies leading the way, still dealing with a pro bowl QB out for a while, then having the guts to stick with the rookie even when Romo was healthy.

you win 12+ games with your HoF QB suspended for 4 games, with a backup QB who gets hurt and a Rookie QB not expected to even see garbage time who played hurt as well....yeah...he does.

The trophy should just bear his name and he should be the one to decide who deserves the honor.
clicked "agree" although I only half agree. Agree it should be named for him. Don't agree he should be the one who decides who deserves the honor. Reason for that is that while I think he pays attention to other coaches it's from the perspective of what can he learn from them to improve and perfect his own craft, not from the perspective of how they've performed given what they had to work with and what results they've gotten. I think I'd favor a voting pool of all the league coaches and perhaps a writer or two covering each team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back