PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does BB hint he is open to trade Brady?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cusan

Rookie
Reaction score
if BB does not trade Garopolo, then maybe he is hinting that he is willing to listen offers on Brady?
Brady may have 4 years left, but Garopolo may have 14 years left.

Dead money on the cap means that trading Brady would make signing a replacement less doable, not more. And that's ignoring the fact that trading Brady is a stupid idea in the first place, even if it were cap-feasible.

Bill has made the comment that he has two starters, so he does like JG. But I don't see a path forward with both, unless JG were to make some stupidly huge salary concessions to remain a backup beyond next year.

In the abstract, who knows. Given the current contract situation, which would result in a $14mil dead money hit if Brady was traded, no way. Absent Brady getting a career-ending injury or unexpectedly deciding to hang it up between now and the end of next season, JG is gone. The post-Brady NE QB will either be Brissett or someone yet to be drafted/signed.

In some sense, it's a silly question...any player could be traded for an astronomical price. What if the Packers offered us Aaron Rodgers and their next 10 first round picks? Is it likely that something like that would happen? I can't imagine Brady's value at 40 years old and being so entrenched in his routine with New England, how another team would want to pay an absurd price to acquire him, when he clearly doesn't want to play anywhere else.

growing up i was always told two things.

1.) i wouldn't always have a calculator

and

2.)There are no stupid suggestions or questions.

Both of those have been proven false.

Dead money on the cap means that trading Brady would make signing a replacement less doable, not more. And that's ignoring the fact that trading Brady is a stupid idea in the first place, even if it were cap-feasible.

Bill has made the comment that he has two starters, so he does like JG. But I don't see a path forward with both, unless JG were to make some stupidly huge salary concessions to remain a backup beyond next year.

In 2017, yes, but not in 2018 or 2019 ATM.

Brady is the Pats QB for 2017. Any talk of a Trade is absurd.

But, beyond 2017, there are two things we should not forget.

One, Belichick has always said that he would rather cut someone loose a year too early rather than a year too late. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that Tom Brady would be the one exception to that rule, but it's not a certainty.

Two, Brady often has his dad say things for him that he won't say himself. His dad said the following in January 2015: "It will end badly," he said. "It does end badly. And I know that because I know what Tommy wants to do. He wants to play till he’s 70." He noted the drafting of Garoppolo and said the Patriots smartly didn’t want to be "caught with their pants down," as the Colts were when Peyton Manning was injured a few years ago. "It’s a cold business," the senior Brady said. "And for as much as you want it to be familial, it isn’t."

Tom Brady's Dad Gave An Ominous Quote About His Son's Future With The Patriots

if BB does not trade Garopolo, then maybe he is hinting that he is willing to listen offers on Brady?
Brady may have 4 years left, but Garopolo may have 14 years left.

14 years eh? That would add up to 21 games for him.

dVJNUJlVS6yeyEYhtJIL_Confused%20Mark%20Wahlberg.gif

The Patriots are actually carrying $27 million of unamortized bonus money at this point. If they traded him this offseason, not only would you be losing the GOAT still playing his best. You would also be losing $26 million of cap space.

I'm pretty sure Brady's not playing this season for $ 1 million, so his contract will have to be extended or changed this offseason. It will be interesting and telling to see how it's structured when it is.

growing up i was always told two things.

1.) i wouldn't always have a calculator

and

2.)There are no stupid suggestions or questions.

Both of those have been proven false.
I don't always have a calculator but I was told if I keep making that face the wind would change and I would look like that permanently.

The Pats will never trade Tom Brady

What if we gave Jimmy Garappolo an $8M contract with a team option extend it next year for the same price, which is then continually re-upped until Brady retires? Seems like a good deal for him...he will get a ton of money upfront and then get a monster deal whenever he is either traded or replaces Brady.

I love Brady...I just know that every player in NFL history has fallen very fast, and I don't think Packers fans regret letting Favre walk in 2008. Where would they be now had they traded or let go of Rodgers to let Favre stay in for a few more years?

Just some recent examples that come to mind:
-Brett Favre had an MVP-caliber season in 2009. In 2010 he was finished.
-Peyton Manning had an MVP season in 2013 and threw 55 TDs. In 2014 he was declining fast and in 2015 was finished.

It doesn't matter how great the player is, and Tom Brady is unlike any player in NFL history. However, Jimmy G will always be 15 years younger than him. I imagine that the Patriots themselves have the same type of difficult questions as the fans, asking themselves some very difficult questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes