PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does 2014 and 2016 take away the sting of 2007 and 2011 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, it does. Yeah I wanted that 2007 Championship bad, and 2011, I was just hoping to win it and get vindication for 2007, but I didnt think the 2011 team was anywhere as good as 2007 (or 2003 & 2004). But the way our Pats won in 2014 and 2016, was so amazing, and cemented Brady's and Belichick's (and the franchise's) place in history. Hated losing those SBs, but these last 2 wins have taken away the sting of pain for me.

No

Want seven

Only if the Patriots beat the Eli led Giants in a SB. Otherwise, pundits will always use those losses against Brady.

A little off topic here but something bout 5 championships in 15 years or so rings of dynasties..Think of the 4 major sports and there have been plenty of 4x champs but 5 seems rarified air....

*yankees 5 in 14 years 1996-09 MLB
*yankees 10 in 16 years 1947-62 MLB
*yankees 9 in 17 years 1927-43 MLB
*Celtics 11 in 13 years 1957-69 NBA
*Celtics 5 in 13 years 1974-86 NBA (I know Cowens and Bird different eras but Red built it)
*Lakers 5 in 11 years 2000-2010 NBA
*Bulls 5 in 8 yrs 1991-98 NBA
*Canadians 10 in 15 years 1965-79 NHL
*SF49ers 5 in 14 years 1982-95 NFL
*Pats 5 in 16 years 2001-16 NFL

Anything pre 1970 is hard to compare. And really the modern NFL started around 1993 with FA and Salary caps.

I don't know what the NHL landscape was like the years of 1965-1979 but 10 championships thats amazing.

Jordan/Pippen, Kobe/Shaq were also amazing but its hard to compare different leagues.

I thought Jordan got 6 championships?

For me, it does. Yeah I wanted that 2007 Championship bad, and 2011, I was just hoping to win it and get vindication for 2007, but I didnt think the 2011 team was anywhere as good as 2007 (or 2003 & 2004). But the way our Pats won in 2014 and 2016, was so amazing, and cemented Brady's and Belichick's (and the franchise's) place in history. Hated losing those SBs, but these last 2 wins have taken away the sting of pain for me.
I look at it like we were in 7 Super Bowls and went 5 and 2, which is a good record. And the Super Bowl is supposed to be the best of the best competition obviously. And it is supposed to be hard to even get to the Super Bowl, but in a weird way us getting to 7 with Brady makes it seem like it is less hard for us anyway.

Took me months to get over the 2007 loss, even after these two Super Bowl the scar will never fade away unless we have such season again.

Either way, I am happy for everyone especially BB and TB for winning 5.

Anything pre 1970 is hard to compare. And really the modern NFL started around 1993 with FA and Salary caps.

I don't know what the NHL landscape was like the years of 1965-1979 but 10 championships thats amazing.

Jordan/Pippen, Kobe/Shaq were also amazing but its hard to compare different leagues.

I thought Jordan got 6 championships?
You're right, a typo, no really...

Winning sure as F**k beats losing!!

Wasn't this already asked in another thread earlier in the week?

Yes, at the end of the day that team didn't earn the championship. These ones did, we have FIVE now and that still sounds oh so sweet!!

I can now watch reruns of SB42 without getting sick to my stomach and needing to avert my eyes. I could not do that before 2/5/2017.

Very similar to how 2004 Red Sox made the Buckner play not so painful.

Regards,
Chris

Oh yeah!

For starters, we are winning now and feel like we will keep winning. Before, some were wondering if the window had closed. (It hasn't!) -14 and -16 were AMAZING! I've already watched LI five times (Q4 and Q5, at least).

It absolutely does.

From this perspective, winning two titles in three years, and this is my opinion so i'm sure many will disagree with it but i don't care about the regular season record. Just as i don't care about the regular season MVP.

Would i be happier if the team wins the title with 19-0 vs 17-2? SB51 emphatically proved to me that the answer is no. I couldn't possibly be happier, more satisfied or more ecstatic than i've been all week.

With that in mind, we've won 5 close SB's and lost two of them. Not one of them was as unlikely as this one. Edelman's catch was a combination of Samuel's INT drop and Tyree's catch. And that's just one of 20 things that needed to happen so we can win.

On top of that, this title felt more personal, emotional and cathartic after two years of witch hunting for Brady, trying to ruin a legacy of someone as humble, kind, hard working and respectful as he is, due to jealousy and vindictiveness.

And on top of that, the way we won solidified Tom & Bill as the consensus GOAT's.

I wouldn't change a thing.

I moved on long ago. Frankly they needed a few fortuitous breaks to even get to 18-0. It was disappointing but to me being hung up on it is like complaining about the taxes after you hit the lottery.

Yes, because I'm able to sit here W my 11 yr old son and wtch SB 42 on NFL network right now as I detail all the woulda shoulda couldas from that game....

It absolutely does.

From this perspective, winning two titles in three years, and this is my opinion so i'm sure many will disagree with it but i don't care about the regular season record. Just as i don't care about the regular season MVP.

Would i be happier if the team wins the title with 19-0 vs 17-2? SB51 emphatically proved to me that the answer is no. I couldn't possibly be happier, more satisfied or more ecstatic than i've been all week.

With that in mind, we've won 5 close SB's and lost two of them. Not one of them was as unlikely as this one. Edelman's catch was a combination of Samuel's INT drop and Tyree's catch. And that's just one of 20 things that needed to happen so we can win.

On top of that, this title felt more personal, emotional and cathartic after two years of witch hunting for Brady, trying to ruin a legacy of someone as humble, kind, hard working and respectful as he is, due to jealousy and vindictiveness.

And on top of that, the way we won solidified Tom & Bill as the consensus GOAT's.

I wouldn't change a thing.

And Tom put forth his ultimate mic drop game at age 39! I'm still trying to wrap my brain around that.

Regards,
Chris

This SB win was the greatest of them all.

The Brady/BB era deserved to have the most rings ever and now they have it.

But on to another question...

Took me months to get over the 2007 loss, even after these two Super Bowl the scar will never fade away unless we have such season again.

The sad thing is, I don't know if 2007 could ever be had again, even WITH an undefeated season...

If the Patriots finished the job that year, that team would be regarded the greatest team in NFL history. Period. And because of 3 specific factors

1) They went 19-0
2) They DOMINATED teams
3) They played basically as hard as schedule you can in the league, with wins over...

AFC
#2 Colts (13-3)
#3 Chargers (Twice)
#4 Steelers
#5 Jaguars
#7 Browns (10-6)

NFC
#1 Cowboys (13-3)
#5 Giants
#6 Redskins

I mean ****, they left NO question. They played 7 out of the 11 other NFL teams in the league, including the top two possible (#2 in AFC Colts and #1 in NFC Cowboys, who were both legitimately great teams)

Now say, if the Panthers actually ran the table last year. No one would consider them the GREATEST team of all-time. They'd see they set the record but against a watered down league and a soft ass schedule while also never being that dominating.

The fact that the 2007 team was both dominating AND played basically everyone was a mix we may never see again. Maybe a team will actually get 19-0 one season, but never in the fashion the Pats could have had it.

God damn it, now writing this up has me mad again.

For me, 2014 took the sting out of 2011, since they were both close back and forth games.

2016 took the sting out of 2006, since they were both huge comebacks.

The only thing that could take the sting out of 2007 would be an undefeated season.

What about 86 and 95?

It's not like the losses to the Giants were any different than the losses to Chicago and Green Bay

Ok, I'll give you missing the perfect season in 07 hurt. But honestly, I've had enough for a lifetime. If we get more, it's just icing on the cake.

I am no longer an angry Pats fan!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick