PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think Moss will be re-signed at the end of the year?? [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think Moss will be re-signed at the end of the year??

Do you see them re-signing him at the end of the year because he only has a 1-year contract? I would hope...like he said..he's already got the money...and just wants to win...and with Brady every year...you always have a chance to make it to the Superbowl.

Re: Do you think Moss will be re-signed at the end of the year??

I would have to say it mostly depends on his preformance, and his attitude/work ethic.

The Pats are only on the hook long-term with Welker, out of all the receivers. He's reasonably priced enough, reliable enough, and young enough that they seem to see long-term status as the right solution. Since the price is low, you could even cut him and have pretty manageable dead money impact, in the unlikely event that nobody would trade for him.

Next year, though, becomes a decision point, at WR: do we push the button on the whole WR corps, at least the ones that matter? Assuming that's Moss, Stallworth, Welker, plus the 4-6 guys all costing 4-6 money, it could get pricey. Will Moss take a discount, when we're paying Stallworth $11M in 2008? We have to assume that all happy talk aside, he'll at least want the $6-7 M apy Stallworth is going to get, assuming he performs at a similar or higher level. Well (correct me if I'm wrong, people,) 2008 doesn't look bad for free agents. But then 2009 we have to deal with Rosey Colvin and Ty Warren, and 2010 is a beast, with Mankins, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, just about all our tight ends, Wilfork, Seymour, Jarvis Green, and a couple others who might develop (Hobbs, for example), needing to be re-done. That's most of our O- and D-lines needing resigning (two of the best such units in football,) and the entire corps of tight ends. And that's not the full list, either.

All this to say: 2008's a "maybe" to keep all the receivers we like, but it looks almost necessary for some 2008 money to get pushed into 2009, and some 2009 money pushed into 2010 (especially.)

This is amateur cap-gazing, admittedly, but you have to think that keeping all 3 will be tough, unless we front-load a Moss deal in 2008 -- still tough to do, and it would mess with incentive (a bad idea in Moss' case) -- but the alternative is to backload him into a period of comparative cap scarcity in 2009 and especially 2010.

Um, I say we'll end up with either Moss or Stallworth in 08, is what I'm trying to say, not both. It's not undoable, and obviously, deals can be redone at any time in any way, for just such cap exigencies.

But if Stallworth doesn't look to be worth his remaining contract years in the presence of Moss, or vice versa, I would not be surprised to see one or another looking for work in 2008.

PFnV

My based-on-nothing prediction is that this will be a match made in heaven and that the two parties will come to an agreement on a multi-year deal for decent money. I think Moss has always, and will continue to respond to the structure that is such a huge part of the way things are done in Foxboro.

I think it will depend on where he wants to play. He is a top receiver willing to play for less than market value. He can play for whom he wants.

I would have to say it mostly depends on his preformance, and his attitude/work ethic.

I think he will - hopefully it won't be like Dillon where we get the big season then he gets the big contract and delivers no more big seasons (whether that's his fault is debatable but it is what happened).

Hmm: suppose the ideal scenario for this season. Moss is a model teammate, develops great chemistry with Brady, stretches the field, makes game-changing plays and helps bring home a championship. Given all that, do you think the rest of the league -- the ones who let the Pats nab him for a 4th-round pick -- would suddenly say "Oh, ok, I guess he changed! He's a new man!" I rather think not. I imagine they'd say, "ok, he can succeed in that situation." But who else has that situation? It will be interesting to see what the market is.

The Pats are only on the hook long-term with Welker, out of all the receivers. He's reasonably priced enough, reliable enough, and young enough that they seem to see long-term status as the right solution. Since the price is low, you could even cut him and have pretty manageable dead money impact, in the unlikely event that nobody would trade for him.

Next year, though, becomes a decision point, at WR: do we push the button on the whole WR corps, at least the ones that matter? Assuming that's Moss, Stallworth, Welker, plus the 4-6 guys all costing 4-6 money, it could get pricey. Will Moss take a discount, when we're paying Stallworth $11M in 2008? We have to assume that all happy talk aside, he'll at least want the $6-7 M apy Stallworth is going to get, assuming he performs at a similar or higher level. Well (correct me if I'm wrong, people,) 2008 doesn't look bad for free agents. But then 2009 we have to deal with Rosey Colvin and Ty Warren, and 2010 is a beast, with Mankins, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, just about all our tight ends, Wilfork, Seymour, Jarvis Green, and a couple others who might develop (Hobbs, for example), needing to be re-done. That's most of our O- and D-lines needing resigning (two of the best such units in football,) and the entire corps of tight ends. And that's not the full list, either.

All this to say: 2008's a "maybe" to keep all the receivers we like, but it looks almost necessary for some 2008 money to get pushed into 2009, and some 2009 money pushed into 2010 (especially.)

This is amateur cap-gazing, admittedly, but you have to think that keeping all 3 will be tough, unless we front-load a Moss deal in 2008 -- still tough to do, and it would mess with incentive (a bad idea in Moss' case) -- but the alternative is to backload him into a period of comparative cap scarcity in 2009 and especially 2010.

Um, I say we'll end up with either Moss or Stallworth in 08, is what I'm trying to say, not both. It's not undoable, and obviously, deals can be redone at any time in any way, for just such cap exigencies.

But if Stallworth doesn't look to be worth his remaining contract years in the presence of Moss, or vice versa, I would not be surprised to see one or another looking for work in 2008.

PFnV

2009 and 2010 scenario as you presented it will be a case of the skill player versus the quality found with the players from our Offensive & Defensive lines. As the cliche dictates, football is a game won in the trenches and that is exactly where our money will need to flow. Very scary, but BB/SP are not dumb and they will be way ahead of us, as they draft and acquire talent just as they have this year, so as to to avert any chance of weakness.

As for 2008 - sure, assuming we take it all in 2007 (big assumption, but why not), I see no reason why two great recievers do what they need to do (hometown discount), in order to pick up additoinal jewlery!

Will Moss play for the Pats in '08? I think it is likely, assuming he has the kind of year most observers expect of him. This is the absolute best place for this man and his talents. Give him a taste of the bubbly, and he'll want to keep coming back for more.

Stallworth is a little more problematic. It's true there is that $11 mil figure there next year, but there's nothing that says that can't be renegotiated into something a little more cap friendly. Assuming he has a decent year (and above all with these assumptions, they win it all), I feel pretty confidant something could be worked out that all parties could live with.

I figure about mid-season the pundits start referring to Moss/Stallworth/Welker as "the Big 3", or some such thing. None of these guys have ever experienced anything like the Patriots' mystique, and they, just like the rest of us, must surely anticipate something special in the works.

How can you possibly top that selling point?

Actually the cap hit is something on the order of $6M for Stallworth next year, it's the payable cash next year that's $11M: One of those "gifts that keep on giving..." into 09, '10... etc.

So it's friendly to 2008, but less so to 2009 and beyond, because of the proration.

But yeah, I guess that is the scenario that's coming up: The skill guys in 2008, the guys in the trenches in 2009 and 2010. Even now, offensive linemen elsewhere are pulling down 7M, and Freeney can give you an idea of what a decent defensive lineman is getting. Gni gni gniiiiI!!!!! I don't want to hear anybody gripe about the Kareem Browns of the world on draft day!!! (By the way, LeKevin Smith is up for renewal in 2010 as well. Hey, ya never know!)

PFnV

we have no clue yet...Man how long till the season?!?!

Do you see them re-signing him at the end of the year because he only has a 1-year contract? I would hope...like he said..he's already got the money...and just wants to win...and with Brady every year...you always have a chance to make it to the Superbowl.

It takes a whole team to make it to the superbowl. Brady and Moss and Stallworth and Watson can't do a thing to stop Joseph Addai from running into the endzone.

To answer your question, we need to know two things: how the season plays out and how much money Moss wants. Dillon did an awful lot to bring the last trophy to Foxboro and the Pats ponied up for a big extension. Was that the right thing to do? Yet a 1600-yard RB has more impact on a team than a top WR, and often does more to open up the passing game.

All we have at this point is hunches and guesses, but mine is that Brady and Moss will be playing together in Foxboro to the end of their careers.

I also think both Warren and Wilfork will be retained.

Other positions will be populated with lower-cost/lower-value players if necessary.

Probably not. His reputation as one of the best receivers in the NFL will

be re-established by playing a year with Tom Brady and Randy will move

along to the highest bidder (probably not the Pats).

I think Moss will want to stay in NE, and be torn when he receives a few offers more handsome then the one's that we're offering him...

...and eventually accept one of those offers, and sign elsewhere. He's too proud, and contract and ego are too inextricably linked in the NFL for him to accept a lower-money offer just to stay here.

I guess we will get him one more year after this then he will implode on his way back to planet Looney Tunes.

Chris Carter said he will thrive in the diciplined atmosphere here. I'm guessing he will eventually tire of the structure and forget that it is exactly what revitalized his career.

On a side note...players who come here from $hitty organizations greatly appreciate the "tightness" of our organization...where as rookies that spent their career here get a rude awakening when the bolt for a few $'s more to some loser organization.

Folks,

Let me preface this by saying at the end of the day, as long as a strong effort it put forth on gameday, the Pats win #4 and hes an all-around good guy, I couldn't care less what Randy Moss does during practice.

However, I do believe that practice performance does offer a glimpse into work habits and respect for the team and fellow teammates. For those of you who have been to Pats camp (I hope to attend this week), I'm curious about Randy Moss' exuberence during the participation in team drills. I read that Pat Kirwan sees him 1st in everything. Great news! Over the past few days, I read from Breer and Tomase that hes almost last in every drill. Not good.

For those of us who have played some level of football, being 1st in drills all the time is hard. However, Moss is known as a lolly-gagger and I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned about that.

To me, BB doesn't seem like the kind of coach who let's a player pace himself.

Anybody have any observations that can set the record straight? What do we make of him so far?

Re: Randy Moss-Observational Accuracy

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Enough with this.

This is a stupid question/post

Whats next weeks post? - Is Brandon Meriweather going to the Hall Of Fame?:rolleyes:

I can't wait till this ***^ing season starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick