PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we need competition at the kicker spot?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Gostkowski will break . . . (choose ALL that apply)

• His career mark for FGs made (36)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • His career mark for points scored (153)

• 1,000 points in 8 seasons (an NFL first)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true. And the Buffalo game last week. Though he did cost them the Cardinals game last year.

I'm just saying in the bigger picture, this offense needs all the help they can get while they're trying to sort things out... and they're not going to get much help from a kicker who is inconsistent from 30+ (as Ghost has been since last year)...

On the Cards game. A few other things cost the team. Inability to score TD's (1-3 in RZ) A bad penalty by Gronk on a potential gw TD. Bad play calling at the end not to get the kick closer than a 42 yarder. Had time and chance to move the bll Having a punt blocked and AZ starting with the ball at the 2 yd line.

Yes he missed the kick but he also kept the Pats in the game by nailing 4 other FG's

How about vs NJY last year? BUF this year? In SD in 2010?

I really don't think he did anything extraordinary in either of those games. He kicked field goals that most kickers should make most of the time. Nick Folk in the Jets game was 4-4 with 54 yarder and two 43 yarders. I think our expectations are lowered. I'm not relying on the Arizona game to say he's a problem. It's the fact that in 16 games last year and 2 this year, he's now missed 7 kicks from 30-49 yards.

On the Cards game. A few other things cost the team. Inability to score TD's (1-3 in RZ) A bad penalty by Gronk on a potential gw TD. Bad play calling at the end not to get the kick closer than a 42 yarder. Had time and chance to move the bll Having a punt blocked and AZ starting with the ball at the 2 yd line.

Yes he missed the kick but he also kept the Pats in the game by nailing 4 other FG's

True, but kickers are usually remembered for their clutch kicks. Great kickers always come up big when the pressure is on.

That's why Adam Vinatieri is praised for his SB38 game winner and nobody talks about the fact he was 1 for 3, shanking one and had another one blocked in that game...

Can you imagine having a weapon like Janikowski on this team? :eek:

I just love how this fan base make Excuses For Ghost...what's his excuse for missing that 38 yarder last yard against the Cardinals? I have said this before and will say it again Ghost have been a beneficiary of Great Patriot Offenses over the years where he just have to kick Pats because we already had a three score lead on the other teams. This year with the Growing pains of this young Offense is going to be telling with Ghost, we are going to be in alot more close games. For a guy that make all the money he makes a 43 yarder should be routine I miss AV.

I really don't think he did anything extraordinary in either of those games. He kicked field goals that most kickers should make most of the time. Nick Folk in the Jets game was 4-4 with 54 yarder and two 43 yarders. I think our expectations are lowered. I'm not relying on the Arizona game to say he's a problem. It's the fact that in 16 games last year and 2 this year, he's now missed 7 kicks from 30-49 yards.
He made a 43 yard FG as time expired in regulation to tie the game in that Jets game. He then made a 48 yard FG in OT after the offense stalled on their first possession. I think that's about all you can ask for in a kicker. He's not perfect but no kicker is. Every single one of them misses big field goals.

PatsFan2 said:
For a guy that make all the money he makes a 43 yarder should be routine I miss AV.
The same AV who was under 80% last year? Again, no kicker is perfect. Gostowski made two field goals that were the difference last night. He made the winner in week 1. Let's see how he does going forward before running him out of town.

The Patriots routinely try out kickers during the season (at least in the past they have). If they feel the need to replace Ghost, they will. Don't really need a competition; it's a kicker.
Agreed. It's not an important position, and kickers rarely influence the outcome of games.

Wait, whuh???!?! :confused:

A kickers only job is to make field goals. When you don't do your job, you're not helping your team out.

The holder has some of the blame too.

If there are any decent alternatives, BB will address them.

I think pretty much every kicker misses his target every once in awhile. If you lose games because of them...

you-re-fired-o.gif

I'm not a huge Ghost fan in recent years, but he's been fantastic this year. 5/6 on FG's and he seems to have a high TB rate on KO. I feel comfortable with him this year so far. Next offseason I wouldn't be against bringing in some competition especially if he struggles later in the season.

I just love how this fan base make Excuses For Ghost...what's his excuse for missing that 38 yarder last yard against the Cardinals? .

This is Ghost's 8th season as our kicker. Can you name another game he's cost us in that span aside from AZ? Everybody talks about the AZ game last year but nobody seems to remember last year's Jets game where he nailed multiple huge kicks with the game on the line, just like last week's game and countless other games where he HAS made the kicks necessary to win.

Agreed. It's not an important position, and kickers rarely influence the outcome of games.

Wait, whuh???!?! :confused:
Yes they do influence games. You can try a kicker out and know what you have. That's the point I'm making.

This is Ghost's 8th season as our kicker. Can you name another game he's cost us in that span aside from AZ? Everybody talks about the AZ game last year but nobody seems to remember last year's Jets game where he nailed multiple huge kicks with the game on the line, just like last week's game and countless other games where he HAS made the kicks necessary to win.

Like I said I know how I feel about Ghost personally in the Clutch. He doesn't remind of the Greatest Kicker in New England history imo AV. We ain't winning any games by two or three scores anytime too soon with the injuries and the team we currently have on Offense. So we will see how really good or how Clutch Ghost is from now on. He was just about invisible until now he's now under a microscope because all his kicks from now wont be a luxury but a necesity.

I'm not a huge Ghost fan in recent years, but he's been fantastic this year. 5/6 on FG's and he seems to have a high TB rate on KO.

See, this is where I part ways with many in this thread. Our expectations of a guy taking down $3.4 million of the salary cap are way too low. I would say, without hesitation, that Gostkowski has hardly been "fantastic" this year. 5/6 is not fantastic. 5/6 is 83 percent. That's what he was last year, and it's bottom third of the league.

6/6 is fantastic. 18/19 is fantastic. 5/6 is fantastic if five of them were over 45 yards and the miss was from 58. Four of the field goals that Gost made so far this year are kicks that pretty much every kicker in the league should make virtually all of the time -- 21, 30, 33 and 35 yards. If you're kicking from inside the 20 yard line, you better make them. You can miss one inside the red zone during a year, because, well, stuff happens. You can miss one because the holder drops the snap or the center misses his block. Miss two and you're on the bubble.

On kicks of significance, he's 1 for 2. He hit a 48 yarder. He missed a 45 yarder. If he hits his next four or five 40+ kicks, then he'll have made up for the one he missed.

Wouldn't be football without the annual "Gost needs to go!" post as soon as he misses a FG.

Its getting ridiculous how worked up some Pats fans are getting when a player has a bad play or two this season. He missed one FG. Apparently that one miss is worth cutting a player who gives you such an advantage on kickoffs. Some people completely undervalue that part of Gostkowski's game.

Also, not to mention, whoever would replace him would most likely miss the same amount of FGs the rest of the year that Gostkowski would (most kickers make around 70-80% of their kicks).

If this is the reaction a missed FG gets, I can't wait to see the reaction if and when Gronkowski drops a ball. I wonder how many people will think he's washed up and that we should cut him if he's a bit rusty when he comes back. My guess is 20% of Pats fans.

DId you say "His BALLS move way too much"?? Well that is a little too much information for this Patsfan......;)

In all seriousness, I think there is definitely a need for another kicker tryout here....but doubt you will see one this year.....just have to close your eyes and pray everytime the ghost attempts one.......

The 40-49 yarder is crucial in football. Missing it is like a turnover plus 7 yards. An above average NFL kicker should make most of them -- 10/12 or so should be the expectation. Some kickers were better than that. More than 3 misses in a year is bad.

So far Gostkowski has made one and missed one. Is it time to panic? Well, probably not. If he nails 9 of 10 for the rest of the year, great.

But there's some evidence that perhaps misses from this distance are not aberrational or a small sample size problem. What is that evidence:

1) He missed 4 of them last year -- more than any other player other than Akers.

2) He also missed 2 kicks last year of 30-39 yards. That's unacceptable if it becomes a trend. If a guy misses a couple in a year, whatever, you chalk it up to small sample size problems or crazy blocked kicks or something. But if he does it a few years in a row, you can't have him on your team. But with Gostkowsi we're starting to get some evidence this isn't a small sample size problem. Put it together with the four misses from 40-49 and you have six misses from 30-49 -- most in the NFL last year. To be sure, he had more attempts than many in the league -- so his overall percentage is just "bad," not "horrible." (He was 20th in the league in FG percentage last year.) Again, my goal here is not to get stuck on small sample size problems, but instead to see what the evidence in total shows.

3) His one 40+ make this year did not exactly inspire confidence. It was a low line drive on a distance and in conditions where that was entirely unnecessary.

4) He missed from 44 and 50 in preseason. So, there's suspicion than 1-2 so far this year is continuation of a trend, not counter to a trend.

5) This one is totally subjective -- I have no expertise whatsoever in kicking. His balls move way too much. His kicks don't look to me like others in the league -- they never have. Even his extra points move right or left and have a knuckleball effect. On kicks longer than 35 yards, I can't say I notice any consistency -- no draw or slice or even height uniformity. I go to 8 games a year in Arizona, so watch warmups and of course have seen lots of field goal kicks in person. Everyone sees a bunch of them on tv and lots of you go to more game than I do, so I have no special expertise. But by and large, most kickers are very very uniform. Off the foot, unless it's a total mi****, the kicks all look the same. End over end high balls with roughly the same trajectory designed for maximum distance. Very little left to right action -- you can usually tell off the foot whether it's starting out middle, left, right, and it usually stays there. A few kickers have a draw action and so work the ball a bit, but it's very consistent. The only exceptions are for very long kicks where guys drive it low or kicks in weather. Gost's kicks are all over the place. It's not always that same high, end over end trajectory that every other kicker seems to use. They start left, they start right, they start low, they start high, they move left, they move right (although more left to right usually), they knuckle. Belichick and the offense seem to put a premium on getting him in the middle of the field, which I think is right given there's no consistency in which way the ball goes, so you just ask him to try to hit it straight and then he has margin on either side.

I really would like know if there are any other kickers out there who we might be able to use, because we can't have another season with six misses from 30-49. Not this year. He got it away with it last year in all but one game. We may not have the same margins this year.

Edit -- Ha, the auto program thinks the word mis-hit when typed without the hypen is a swear. That's funny.

Wouldn't be football without the annual "Gost needs to go!" post as soon as he misses a FG.

In my defense, I was questioning whether he needs to go before the season even started! :0)

Its getting ridiculous how worked up some Pats fans are getting when a player has a bad play or two this season. He missed one FG.
If only it were just one!! My friend, I wish your statement was true.
Apparently that one miss is worth cutting a player who gives you such an advantage on kickoffs. Some people completely undervalue that part of Gostkowski's game.
What advantage? That may have been true earlier in his career but now that they kickoff from the 35, he's like every single other kicker in the league; i.e. mostly touchbacks.

A kickers only job is to make field goals. When you don't do your job, you're not helping your team out.

The holder has some of the blame too.

If there are any decent alternatives, BB will address them.

I think pretty much every kicker misses his target every once in awhile. If you lose games because of them...

you-re-fired-o.gif

Go to NFL.com under stats, and look up "Kicking."

See what shows up there.

Hint: it's not field goals.

See, this is where I part ways with many in this thread. Our expectations of a guy taking down $3.4 million of the salary cap are way too low.

Consider these facts:

(1) Gostkowski has a $3.4M cap hit this year.
(2) The Patriots could have saved well over $1M in cap space with a rookie UDFA.
(3) BB made absolutely no effort to give Gostkowski competition other than a token camp leg.

There's a relatively obvious conclusion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents