PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we draft a TE high...or go the FA/trade route

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's basically aaron hernandez 2.0 (on the field). He won't be a gronk replacement.
That's the point. We aren't trying to replace Gronk. We're looking for a player that compliments his style.

We know from our experience with Hernandez on the field, that his play style fit into our system perfectly.

Njoku is a move TE like Hernandez, but he's faster and more athletic.

That's the point. We aren't trying to replace Gronk. We're looking for a player that compliments his style.

We know from our experience with Hernandez on the field, that his play style fit into our system perfectly.

>>Njoku is a move TE like Hernandez, but he's faster and more athletic.

I love the idea of somehow getting him provided Gronk is healthy too.

I would NEVER use our first pick (or second if we trade JG) on a TE. First of all i don't like Howard more than a guy like Butt. But that's only my pov.

In a deep draft like this we have to use our first picks on positions that we need to help right away and are not loaded all across the board such as ILB/OLB/DE

If we get extra picks for JG we could use a second on a guy like Hodges + a 3rd on Leggett or Butt

Jake Butt
Bucky Hodges
Gerald Everett
Jordan Leggett

I agree, although BB has spent 1sts on TEs before (Graham, Watson) so I don't think he's opposed to doing it if he finds one he thinks is worth it.

Evan engram will be the pats pick in the 2nd round.

There is a fa from arizona who might be interested, jermaine gresham. Also dion sims from miami is a fa i believe.

Another possible gronk like te is jordan "lazy" leggett.

Yea I'm dying that we get Njoku he would fit perfectly, I actually perfer that we let Bennett walk and draft a young fast elite TE in the first round like Njoku or Howard makes more sense in the long run considering Bennett will be 30 and has been a lil banged up the last 2 years

Pick up JG if SEA dumps him.

This thread is about tight ends, not highly overrated big, goofy wide receivers who pretend to be tight ends so they can look better against their peers statistically but then pretend to be a WR for franchise tag money purposes.

Something about Graham is just so annoying...would hate to see him in a Pats uniform.

This thread is about tight ends, not highly overrated big, goofy wide receivers who pretend to be tight ends so they can look better against their peers statistically but then pretend to be a WR for franchise tag money purposes.

Something about Graham is just so annoying...would hate to see him in a Pats uniform.

Im sorry.

I would like to grab him

Patriots should draft a TE. No guarantee that Gronk stays healthy and they need at least one. I think they should draft one with the number 32 pick. Get a pass rusher with the pick they get for trading Jimmy G.

I agree, although BB has spent 1sts on TEs before (Graham, Watson) so I don't think he's opposed to doing it if he finds one he thinks is worth it.

Remember when everybody on this board was throwing their shoes at their TV with BB's so-called obsession with drafting (most said over drafting) tight ends? :eek:

Then he hit upon Gronk in the 2nd and he-who-shall-not-be-named in the 4th, and when BB revolutionized the league with his two tight end offense, everyone was thinking "....ohhhh, I guess that is what he was thinking drafting all of those tight ends....." :D

Aside from QB, Belichick has said that TE in our system is the most complex position to learn.

Bennett had the second-highest catch rate (after Doyle) of any TE in the league with over 20 receptions. He also played injured most of the year - he clearly wasn't the same player he was at the beginning of the season. We'd get him at something of a discount. Pay the man!

Draft a TE and bring a vet in on a reasonable salary

Someone like Doyle or Cook would work

Last edited:
I'd look at Jack Doyle in Indy and draft a 'work in progress', who will at least be able to block.

I'm very interested in Jack Doyle. He quietly had a productive season last year on the a Colts and was way better than Dwayne Allen who they just paid big money to last off season

I didn't watch a lot of their games, but from what I've read he's a good blocker and a legitimate receiver

Patriots should draft a TE. No guarantee that Gronk stays healthy and they need at least one. I think they should draft one with the number 32 pick. Get a pass rusher with the pick they get for trading Jimmy G.
ASSUMING Bennett leaves, and that is a big assumption, because I'm not sure Bennett is going to receive the "love" he thinks he'll get at age 3o. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year.....IF the offer he gets is within a million/yr. of the Pats best offer.

BUT if he is gone, I think I'd much rather go the FA route (Doyle, Sims) for an immediate replacement while drafting a developmental guy like the ones Max suggested in the 5-7th rounds. Also don't forget we also have Scruggs and Williams coming back off IR to go along with Lengel in the TE competition. Given the number of WR's we have next season, we are only going to have 3 TE's on the roster, so the competition is going to be fierce after Gronk for the other 2 slots.

I think it's safe to say Bennett is gone. Or very likely gone. Now i love OJ Howard and some mocks have us taking him. Outstanding player. But will he be there at 32 and would they take a TE that high?

Now if we get 12 from CLE or another 2st for Jimmy G we can play around and get Howard is he is really on the Pats radar but I wanted your thoughts on getting another TE because Gronk can't last 16 anymore...and this O needs a TE

Knowing BB, he will do both...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing