PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Jets look like the Pats of old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ala 03, 04?

meaning strong running game, no big name wr's, decent te's, strong defense that causes turnovers

the only difference i see is with our superior qb....

but other than that, they look a little familiar

Well, other than missing the following characteristics the Jets are exactly like the 2003 and 2004 Patriots:

• Being an elite team
  • Smart coaching
  • Smart playing
  • Players playing with a confidence that didn't border or cross the line of overconfidence
  • Players who bought into the team first mentality and didn't put themseleves over the team
  • Players who stepped up in key situations
  • Not relying on playing playing teams who mailed in it in to make the playoffs
  • Adjusting the game strategy on both sides of the ball to fit the opponent
  • A whole host of role players overachieving in key roles especially when players went down
  • An elite QB
Seriously, I see very little similiarities between this year's Jets and the Pats of 2003 or 2004. If they go anywhere, you might make a case for 2001 but even then there are a lot of differences. The 2003 and 2004 Patriots had 4 losses combined including the playoffs. The 2009 Jets have 7 and probably will have 8 before it ends (maybe come Saturday night).

Last edited:
Yep, circa 2001.

Pats didn't rely on brady to be a superstar, just a tough team.

Jets pass defense #1, rushing offense #1? I'd say better than the pats.

Sanchez isnn't great but he's good enough and they don't rely on him to be a hero. Better than trent dilfer and look how that ended up.

IF the jetsies play patsies in foxboro, whaht a game. I hope we don't lose, how embarassing that would be.

OF course you'll get reamed for this, how dare you suggest such a thing.

The 2001 Patriots were a bunch of "over-the-hill" veterans and never weres that overachieved. The Jets are a bunch of high draft picks and high priced free agents who many have underachieved (Kerry Rhodes, Bart Scott, Braylon Edwards). Brady did not turn over the ball like Sanchez and was a great game manager in 2001. Sanchez is the biggest liability on the Jets offense.

BTW, we all know you are a Jets fan. Stop pretending to be a Pats fan.

ala 03, 04?

meaning strong running game, no big name wr's, decent te's, strong defense that causes turnovers

Yeah, the Pats of the early 70s.

Even if they were, would you expect people here to admit it? lol.

Yep, circa 2001.

Sanchez isnn't great but he's good enough and they don't rely on him to be a hero. Better than trent dilfer and look how that ended up.

Sanchez makes Dilfer look like a hall of famer. Dilfer's QB rating the year he won the SB was 76.6 while Sanchez's is 60 this year.

Blasphemy!!!

You should be ashamed of yourself... seriously.

They have uniforms and 4 limbs, at least most of them do. That's where the comparisons end.

ala 03, 04?

nope....they are not even close to as good

OK guys, thank you....i didnt want to believe it either...

Absolutely not. Not even close. Not unless Mark Sanchez turns into Tom Brady, Braylon Edwards learns how to catch a football, someone not named Calvin Pace learns how to rush the passer, Shaun Ellis turns into Richard Seymour, and Kerry Rhodes decides to become 1/10th the player that Rodney was, anyways.

And let's end the Dilfer comparisons right now. For starters, Mark Sanchez, at this point in time, would kill to be as good as Trent Dilfer was in 2000. For all the crap that he gets, Dilfer was far from a bad QB. He was league-average at worst, and probably a little better. He wasn't going to win any games with his arm, but he sure as hell wasn't going to lose any either. Sanchez could learn something from him, rather than throwing a few completely inexplicable interceptions per game into coverage. Secondly, this Jets defense is very good, but not even close to those Ravens. And as good as the Jets' RBs are, the Ravens' were better. Priest Holmes was their backup, FFS.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. Not even close. Not unless Mark Sanchez turns into Tom Brady, Braylon Edwards learns how to catch a football, someone not named Calvin Pace learns how to rush the passer, Shaun Ellis turns into Richard Seymour, and Kerry Rhodes decides to become 1/10th the player that Rodney was, anyways.

And let's end the Dilfer comparisons right now. For starters, Mark Sanchez, at this point in time, would kill to be as good as Trent Dilfer was in 2000. For all the crap that he gets, Dilfer was far from a bad QB. He was league-average at worst, and probably a little better. He wasn't going to win any games with his arm, but he sure as hell wasn't going to lose any either. Sanchez could learn something from him, rather than throwing a few completely inexplicable interceptions per game into coverage. Secondly, this Jets defense is very good, but not even close to those Ravens. And as good as the Jets' RBs are, the Ravens' were better. Priest Holmes was their backup, FFS.

Also, the fact that Trent was a leader and a veteran automatically made him a better QB then a rook who tries to give games away despite a stellar rushing attack and defense. Trent was pretty darn solid the 8 games he started and in the playoffs too. Granted I think he only had like 12 TD to 11 int but he made HUGE playe when he had to. That combined with the best defense since the 85 Bears and a Beast as an RB, he was a fine QB to take us to the SB.

I was soo pissed we got rid of Trent after the Ravens won the SB. Granted, the Grbac move looked to be solid at the time, the guy threw for over 4k yards the year before. Then he lost his balls and curled up at EVERY sign of pressure, still taking us to the playoffs. It could have been a GREAT season if J.Lewis was around... Thats history, as they say.

Last edited:
Yea 1978. Very good D. Lead the league in rushing. Grogan threw like 20 picks and they got waxed 1st round of the playoffs.
2009 Jets are not nearly as good as the '78 Pats. That was a very good team that was derailed by the Fairbanks defection just before the playoff game against Houston.

Keep in mind that because of rule changes the running game was more important than the passing game back then - and the reverse is true now. Teams ran the ball 60-70+% of the time then, and there were only a couple of teams that ran the ball remotely close to how well the Pats did that year.

By comparison many NFL teams pass more often than they run now, and with the exception of the Jets, none rely on the run the way they do. That's just as much, if not more, of a reflection of the Jets passing game than it is of their running game. Even teams like the Titans with Chris Johnson (and Kerry Collins/Vince Young) and Panthers with DeAngelo Williams (and Jake Plummer/Matt Moore) rely on running the ball less than the Jets do.

ala 03, 04?

huh1o.gif

We had better defense, MUCH BETTER QB, best coach ever, more soul...
only their running game is better than ours was

Better Defense? LMAO....I'm pretty sure that the Jets D measures up well with the Pats D of '03 and '04. Rivals or not, I think it's pathetic how almost none of you Pats fans acknowledge that the Jets have a terrific Defense this year. Yes, the offense, other than rushing, is weak. That is no secret. But, it also doesn't mean that Sanchez will always be this bad. The kid has a lot to learn. I have no idea how good (or bad) he will end up being. But, the opinions on this board are absurd at times.

Say what you want...the Jets did indeed catch a break with Indy. I am assuming that had Peyton and the other starters stayed in the game that Indy would have won, but we don't really know. It's not like Indy was blowong the Jets out before the starters were pulled. Regarding Cincy, no the Jets did not beat their backups. It was 27-0 at the half, and should have been more. I'm sure the Jets did not get Cincy's A-game effort, but the Jets blew them out. Cincy was not going to win that game regardless. Now, this Saturday is a completely different story. I don't think last week's result has any bearing on this week's game.

Thanks, its true they have no business being in the playoffs they didnt earn it.

No, actually they did earn it. Many teams had the opportunity and choked down the stretch. The Jets won the games they needed to. Unfortunately, they choked away 5 games this season that they should have won. Jets should not have been in a position to try to eek out a WC. They should have had the division, and that is with a glaring weakness at QB. Like it or not, had the Jets had a decent QB this year, the division would have easily been theirs and they would be considered SB contenders right now. Keep in mind that they lost Jenkins and Leon early in the year. Amazing that they were able to still be competitive on D without Jenkins. And, the loss of Leon paralyzed the O more than you know.

The Jets look the Jets...so tell the fireman it's time to pack it in.

They suck.

Better Defense? LMAO....I'm pretty sure that the Jets D measures up well with the Pats D of '03 and '04. Rivals or not, I think it's pathetic how almost none of you Pats fans acknowledge that the Jets have a terrific Defense this year. Yes, the offense, other than rushing, is weak. That is no secret. But, it also doesn't mean that Sanchez will always be this bad. The kid has a lot to learn. I have no idea how good (or bad) he will end up being. But, the opinions on this board are absurd at times.

Say what you want...the Jets did indeed catch a break with Indy. I am assuming that had Peyton and the other starters stayed in the game that Indy would have won, but we don't really know. It's not like Indy was blowong the Jets out before the starters were pulled. Regarding Cincy, no the Jets did not beat their backups. It was 27-0 at the half, and should have been more. I'm sure the Jets did not get Cincy's A-game effort, but the Jets blew them out. Cincy was not going to win that game regardless. Now, this Saturday is a completely different story. I don't think last week's result has any bearing on this week's game.

The Jets 09 defense measures up?

I guess you are tickling your inner clown.

In 2009, the mighty Jets defense gave up late game losing drives to Jacksonville, Atlanta, Miami, Miami again, and Buffalo.

When did the 03/04 Pats do that?

The Jets defense are choke artists who padded the stats against teams laying down and the likes of Oakland and Tampa Bay.

Better Defense? LMAO....I'm pretty sure that the Jets D measures up well with the Pats D of '03 and '04. Rivals or not, I think it's pathetic how almost none of you Pats fans acknowledge that the Jets have a terrific Defense this year.

The Pats defense those years was 1 and 2 in points allowed. The Jets are 1 this year (even after losing Jenkins for the season), and allowed 2 fewer points than the 2003 Pats. That makes the Jets comparable to the great Pats defenses. Certainly better than 2001. The defense does not compare to say the 2000 Ravens, thus the Jets' problem is the offense has been so bad that the defense cannot make the Jets a good team.

The only playoff team the Jets come close to in points scored is Cincy, which has neither an offense nor a defense of late and likely will be exiting immediately. If I can acknowledge your defense ranks at the top of the playoff teams, you can acknowledge that your offense ranks at the bottom. As for your "what ifs" in taking the division, if Brady had been himself the Jets would have lost the first game and certainly the division, and that scenario reflects a single game of the season, not a general performance improvement that would pretty much make any team in the NFL a playoff team by hypothetical. Woulda, coulda, shoulda is the chant of those not at the top of the game. And Manning smacked 200 yards on your vaunted pass defense in just over 2 quarters, so let's not kid ourselves as to the outcome. A loss and the Jets are done, so that was a major Christmas present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back