PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do Our 2019 Needs Depend On The Next Few Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may need a WR, but I expect that the need is filled through FA or later in the draft.

Could be. Edelman is our receiver under contract for next year, though. Gordon is a RFA, true, but otherwise they're the only receivers on the roster for 2019 (I don't really count Berrios, McCarron, Andrews, etc). We could use an understudy for Edelman, as well as a replacement for Hogan if he doesn't re-sign. Dorsett has been a disappointment, but he's also provided reliable depth when he's been on the field. I don't know that Berrios is ready for that role.

Dt
De - multiple if flowers isn’t resigned or rivers makes a jump
Developmental S
Te
Developmental qb

For next year , must hit on dt , and de if we lose flowers

Though I want studs added to the putrid defense, I'm guessing that could be added in FA. In the draft, definitely need a pass catching TE (eventual/immediate Gronk replacement) and have to get a good QB to mentor to take over for Brady. BOTH positions have been ignored when excellent players were available the last few drafts, especially when the team had tons of draft capital (traded for future picks). They CANNOT ignore those positions any more.

DE: ^Flowers - new guy - Wise (rotational) - Davis?/new guy (rotational)
- Clayborn (rotational)?? - Simon (DE/OLB)??

DT: new guy (NT) - Guy (DT, "heavy DE") - ^Brown?/new guy (rotational, 2-down undertackle) - Butler (situational)

LB: Van Noy - Bentley - new guy - Roberts (rotational/reserve) - Hightower?? - Rivers (OLB/DE)?? - Sam??

DB: Gilmore (RCB/LCB) - Jackson (LCB) - *^JMAC (slot/LCB/RCB)
- JJ (slot/boundary) - Dawson?? - Crossen (st)
- *DMAC (FS/SS/CB) - *Chung (SS/slot) - Harmon (deep safety) - Melifonu (SS/slot)?? - new guy??

*Age is a concern
^UFAs

-----
QB: Brady - Hoyer/Etling - new guy

OT: ^Brown/Wynn - Cannon?/new guy - ^Waddle??/^Croston??/new guy
OG: Mason - Thuney - Karras/new guy
OC: Andrews - Karras/new guy

RB: Michel - White - Burkhead? - ^Hill??/new guy

TE: Gronk?? - Allen?? - Hollister?? - Izzo??

WR: *Edelman - Gordon - ^*Hogan?/new guy - ^Patterson (KR)?/new guy
- ^Dorsett?/new guy - Berrios?? - Andrews??

It looks like 2019 has just as many needs, if not more, as 2018 had. You can make a strong argument for most of the positions.

Yup

Edelman is signed for 2019.

Gordon is an RFA and will be extended or tendered at the highest level.

Hogan, Dorsett and Patterson are free agents.

McCarron and Berrios are on IR.

McCarron stinks and Berrios is a midget what's your point?? We still need a young WR and TE. Gronk ain't 12Mill From the Patriots in 2019 and that's even if he gets SB MVP.

Am I overstating it to claim how important this draft is for NE's future. So many JAGs and completed contracts to be replaced...and we really aren't talking about finding replacements for our aging core of offensive stars.
Miss on this draft, factor in the draft capital necessary to replace Brady, Gronk, Edelman sooner rather than later....this franchise could be chasing its tail for years.

I am very excited to know the WR carousel will continue to spin this off season with dozens of JAGs walking in the front and exiting the back while BB scours the police blotters and waiver wires. (half kidding)

I expect BB to double up in the draft for DTs and sign a capable vet. I also expect him to pull in an aging DE with one good year left in his tank. The front 4 needs a massive overhaul. I still haven't gotten over how Detroit's rookie LG mauled NE's right side of the DL and Miami stomped on the left side. Then there's the run in place efforts by the DTs during the pass rush. These issues were glaring in preseason and unlike most trouble spots, BB hasn't been able to solve this problem on the fly.

They may need a WR, but I expect that the need is filled through FA or later in the draft.

Green Bay and Pittsburgh might have some RFA WR's available both Teams have drafted well at that position unlike us.:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back