PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Divisional round GDT: Ravens @ Bills

Make no mistake.

The Ravens lost because of Lamar "The Show" Jackson. Exposed again in another choke job outside in the cold.

Barely above a 50% completion percentage. 14 completions @ 24 attempts, 164 yards, 0 YDs, 1 INT. The cardinal sin pick 6 in the endzone. Were talking Mark Sanchez bad.

The Ravens bad drafting and no talent excuse supposedly impeding "The Shows" progress is lame and tired. Look, Dobbins and Edwards 2020 combined rushing accounts for 1500 yards and 15 TDs. Those 2 RBs average 5 and 6 yards a carry. TE Andrews and WR Brown would be much bigger names in NFL circles except for the Ravens are 32nd in passing attempts and passing yards.

The stage is just so big and Lamar "The Show" Jackson is the main attraction. Step right up ladies and gentlemen and marvel at his 6.3 yards a carry. Watch Lamar decimate NFL defense with his 1000 plus rushing yards. Why just last week he broke 12 tackles on a run when one guy tried to tackle him twice. Weve never seen that before! Lamar is the 2020 model of Mike Vick and RG3. Griffin is the Ravens back up QB. What does that tell you?

Great NFL QBs share the stage and make those around them famous. Rodgers and Adams. Lazard was undrafted and Scantling a 2nd round pick Mahomes and Kelce and Hill. For 20 years Brady made others in NE millionaires and world champions. Winning is more important than who gets the publicity. Lamar wants to make Lamar famous.

Tuna Parcells said it best. He never liked or was impressed with a 1 man show.

Knew Diggs was good, but did not know he was this good. Should folks in Minnesota be fired? What does it say about their QB or OC?

Buffalo lookin like a wagon. I’m very torn on who to root for during all this!

Bills I just find them annoying, I think I know too many Bills fans and the gloating getting annoying. (Yeah I realize they prob went thru 20 years of this with Pats - don’t care).

Chiefs - I’d like to see someone else win

GB - Can’t stand Rodgers/my best friend is a Bears fan so have his back

TB - Brady legitimately annoys the crap out of me now, and I think AB is the human equivalent of dog crap.

Browns - hmmm
Saints - hmmm

Looks like I’m a Browns/Saints guy by default hahaha

Understand you completely. As much as it pains me though, I'm of the opinion that the Super Bowl will see KC versus GB. Don't want KC to win two in a row but won't complain if Rodgers lays another egg in a huge game, especially with the offense he has now.

This has been a problem in big games of late. The last two games the offense as a whole has collapsed. Regression was alway coming, I knew that but the OL hasn't been the same. Drop off from Yanda is too noticeable and Jackson was pressured a lot more this year. Not too mention his C has been F'n him almost all year.

I feel like most baseball fans, mostly nerds would argue the opposite. W/L isn't exactly the best way to look at QB play as so many other factors come into play.

Few examples, every QB needs help in the way of targets but they also need OC help. Every QB including Brady. Everyone needs help. 1)Roman is asking Lamar to throw to 3 defended by 6. 2)Asking him to go through progressions when he's being blitzes to death. Instead of calling quick hitters to combat that rush. 3)Run a puller in front of Lamar more if you're going to do that wide-stretch stuff. 4)Hard to be more predictable than Roman's passing attack. No creativity. Like Mcvay has built a nice passing game off the rushing attack.

Brees would be done without Payton, Kamara & Thomas imo. Watson has less playoff wins than Jackson which some posters here seem to think matters when we're talking about 2-3 games? Like I'll hear pats fans say Lamar can't win in the playoffs but let's trade 2 1st and Gilmore for Watson. For the record I love Watson and would trade 3 1st for him just pointing out that a lot of posters are contradicting themselves and all over the place on this issue.

Take away the running game and Mcvay could Goff beat you for 2-3 games bc of his arm or pocket play?

What about if Cleveland's PA game and rushing attack was stuffed up, could Baker? Who I'm a big fan of still.

I mean Rodgers is walking into the HOF and look at the differences between McCarthy's packers and this year's squad?

Point is there's very few QB's in the league rn that can win solely bc of their arm. I hear it all the time and it drives me nuts. Where are these QB's bc I'm not seeing them. Jackson, Allen, Murray and some use their legs, others need scheme to make it happen. Take away the supplemental game, making things easy (running game, creative coaching, elite targets) and you have 4-5 QB's that make up the list.

He absolutely needs a Diggs or Hopkins type. Contested catcher that can stretch the field for 15-25 chunks. Someone who doesn't need a perfect pass. Everyone needs this guy. Rn Jackson has the most trust in Willie Ahead imo. That's a problem if you have SB expectations.

The thing here is whether we like it or not more QB's can move and run than not. And very soon with guys like Brees, Brady, Ben, Rivers, Fitz leaving we'll have even more athletes at the position. You absolutely must be able to win with your arm but QB's are just different now. Jackson, Allen, Mahomes and Mayfield all can make plays with their legs. The league isn't shifting its shifted imo.

Good post and thought out though I agree with some of what you have to say. Jackson absolutely has to improve but he's not nearly the player most make him out to be here. He's held to a different standard which is weird. No QB gets the reaction he does here. No talk about his pocket presence and scrambling ability. One of the best red zone passers since he started playing. The fact that he's one of the best anticipatory passers when it comes to the MOF. Making the playoffs each year, even coming in during the middle of his rookie year when the team had a losing record. Working with a poor WR corp and weird group of weapons. I just try to look at all sides and have some balance even though everyone (including me) has bias.

Even in today's game they had a legit chance to win. Two Tucker misses and a Andrews dropped TD. Over-throw from Huntley to Brown in the 4th that would have been 6. No luck in the past few big games and everyone needs a little luck. Pats fans should know that better than anyone.

You sure are arguing hard for Lamar on a Pats board. Not sure who you are trying to convince. We can't stand the Ravens but Lamar is the least of our worries with the Bills looking like a powerhouse with every piece required to stay a top for a long time.

The two teams that I just couldn't stomach winning are now out. Steelers and Ravens. Of who's left in order of who I'm rooting for.

Bucs
Bills
Browns

I'd be happy with all three but ecstatic with the Bucs.

NO
GB\KC

Any of these three win and it's an entire off season of why they're now the GOAT. Of the three Brees walking off with a second bothers me by far the least. Rodgers getting another one bothers me more in the short term but if Mahomes starts to get into the 3+ category then that talk will intensify. The thing about Rodgers is if he doesn't have a running game he struggles a lot more than the other top flight QBs of this generation. The thing about Mahomes is he's never done it without a couple of superstars with him and the 3-5 guys are at least starting on most other teams. He's an amazing talent without a doubt but there will come a year when he's at least minus Kelce and Hill and then we'll get a true measure of how good he really is. Brady and to his credit Rodgers, although with lesser results than Brady, have carried some inferior teams.

Brees has done less with more. Ya they've been the victim of some freak plays but against teams they should have put away long before it came to that. Although his numbers in some of those games aren't bad the context of how he played situationally tells a different story. The Saints match up with the Bucs really well and they should win today but if it's tight I wouldn't be surprised to see Brees throw the random pick make a couple of head scratching decisions where a first down is all they need.

You sure are arguing hard for Lamar on a Pats board. Not sure who you are trying to convince. We can't stand the Ravens but Lamar is the least of our worries with the Bills looking like a powerhouse with every piece required to stay a top for a long time.
Agreed on Lamar. He will never amount to squat. The injuries are starting to become more frequent. The big one is coming landing him on IR and ending that season. A NFL RBs shelf life is short, they sure take a beating, but still there are those teams with QBs that still refuse to accept reality.

Buffalo however is looking like crap. 3 points in the first 30 minutes? At home with balmy weather for that region? Kansas City will destroy the Bills if they do not wake up.

Fix the offense?

On a non windy day, Bills beat the Ravens by 20+ points.

Two touchdowns taken off the board for Buffalo because of the wind, not to mention 2 field goals.

The wind sucked.
As did your running game.

Last edited:
This has been a problem in big games of late. The last two games the offense as a whole has collapsed. Regression was alway coming, I knew that but the OL hasn't been the same. Drop off from Yanda is too noticeable and Jackson was pressured a lot more this year. Not too mention his C has been F'n him almost all year.

I feel like most baseball fans, mostly nerds would argue the opposite. W/L isn't exactly the best way to look at QB play as so many other factors come into play.

Few examples, every QB needs help in the way of targets but they also need OC help. Every QB including Brady. Everyone needs help. 1)Roman is asking Lamar to throw to 3 defended by 6. 2)Asking him to go through progressions when he's being blitzes to death. Instead of calling quick hitters to combat that rush. 3)Run a puller in front of Lamar more if you're going to do that wide-stretch stuff. 4)Hard to be more predictable than Roman's passing attack. No creativity. Like Mcvay has built a nice passing game off the rushing attack.

Brees would be done without Payton, Kamara & Thomas imo. Watson has less playoff wins than Jackson which some posters here seem to think matters when we're talking about 2-3 games? Like I'll hear pats fans say Lamar can't win in the playoffs but let's trade 2 1st and Gilmore for Watson. For the record I love Watson and would trade 3 1st for him just pointing out that a lot of posters are contradicting themselves and all over the place on this issue.

Take away the running game and Mcvay could Goff beat you for 2-3 games bc of his arm or pocket play?

What about if Cleveland's PA game and rushing attack was stuffed up, could Baker? Who I'm a big fan of still.

I mean Rodgers is walking into the HOF and look at the differences between McCarthy's packers and this year's squad?

Point is there's very few QB's in the league rn that can win solely bc of their arm. I hear it all the time and it drives me nuts. Where are these QB's bc I'm not seeing them. Jackson, Allen, Murray and some use their legs, others need scheme to make it happen. Take away the supplemental game, making things easy (running game, creative coaching, elite targets) and you have 4-5 QB's that make up the list.

He absolutely needs a Diggs or Hopkins type. Contested catcher that can stretch the field for 15-25 chunks. Someone who doesn't need a perfect pass. Everyone needs this guy. Rn Jackson has the most trust in Willie Ahead imo. That's a problem if you have SB expectations.

The thing here is whether we like it or not more QB's can move and run than not. And very soon with guys like Brees, Brady, Ben, Rivers, Fitz leaving we'll have even more athletes at the position. You absolutely must be able to win with your arm but QB's are just different now. Jackson, Allen, Mahomes and Mayfield all can make plays with their legs. The league isn't shifting its shifted imo.

Good post and thought out though I agree with some of what you have to say. Jackson absolutely has to improve but he's not nearly the player most make him out to be here. He's held to a different standard which is weird. No QB gets the reaction he does here. No talk about his pocket presence and scrambling ability. One of the best red zone passers since he started playing. The fact that he's one of the best anticipatory passers when it comes to the MOF. Making the playoffs each year, even coming in during the middle of his rookie year when the team had a losing record. Working with a poor WR corp and weird group of weapons. I just try to look at all sides and have some balance even though everyone (including me) has bias.

Even in today's game they had a legit chance to win. Two Tucker misses and a Andrews dropped TD. Over-throw from Huntley to Brown in the 4th that would have been 6. No luck in the past few big games and everyone needs a little luck. Pats fans should know that better than anyone.

You definitely mad bro. You tied your hitch to a sinking boat.

Excuses, excuses, and more excuses.

3 points bro (possibly 9)! Divisional game and 3 points?
9 minute drive inside RZ and then 101 yard pick-6? He threw it to triple coverage.

Come on bro, you mad. At least admit it.

Fix the offense?

lol

On a non windy day, Bills beat the Ravens by 20+ points.

Two touchdowns taken off the board for Buffalo because of the wind, not to mention 2 field goals.

The wind sucked.
Congrats GreenCow- enjoy it. It’s a great feeling believe us. Hope your team beats the Chiefs assuming it’s them.

At a time when passing has never been easier in league history I just do not believe the Ravens style of play can get you through 3 or 4 playoff games. There will be times when things go bad and you need to be able to move the ball through the air with consistency and I do not see them being able to do that as currently constituted. Maybe they can add some top end WR/TE talent and shift to a more traditional passing attack and have LJ run more like Mahomes does but I doubt that would be successful either as I just do not see him being accurate enough.

Happy for Buffalo win
What a Play from Taron Johnson...

Bills so far have been good

They earn to be at the Afc Championship

Seems like most play this 0 sum game whenever Jackson plays bad. For the past two years I've been hearing about lack of weapons and drafting blunders from NE fans but with Jackson it's black and white, no gray area. He's winning or losing a game. All of a sudden all of this "it's a team game" , "11 guys on the field" goes out the window.

Also I'd love and genuinely want to hear answers from everyone on this one. Excluding Mahomes, Brady, Wilson and Rodgers name me 5 QB's you can win solely bc of them. I'm talking poor weapons, running game is stuffed up, defense doesn't show up and coaching blunders. Name me 5 QB's that can win solely bc of their arm or pocket play. Bc that's exactly what Jackson has been working with. 32 Teams, plenty of QB's to choose from. All I hear is Jackson can't win with his arm or we. Are there 5 QB's in the entire league that can with just their arm? Without design/coaching creativeness, supplemental running game and a defense.

Be objective on the above and tell me most aren't spoiled, casual fans when we had some here defending Cam's 6 passing TD's this year.
Having a hard time understanding your post. Are you saying Jackson should be getting excuses made for him when he plays badly due to his offensive/team's personnel and then in the same breath throw Cam under the bus even though Cam put up 3400 yards 20 TDs in probably the most talent deficient offense in the NFL? How is this entire post not a contradiction of itself because that logic literally doesn't make any sense unless I'm some how misunderstanding the post? Sure Jackson could use some WR help but you can't act like Cam isn't surrounded by an even worse group of players than Lamar Jackson is. Lamar also has a better defense to rely on than Cam had as well. So how you can you make excuses for one guy then throw the one who has to carry the team MUCH harder in order to have success under the bus? Just doesn't make any sense.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back