PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did the Patriots Organization Become too Arrogant?

I think it's Josh and maybe another guy or two that have been in the organization, I doubt BB would talk like that, members of his staff might though when they kept winning.
It's not a coincidence that most of the guys who come up under Bill sound the same as he does.

I think it happens whenever the word dynasty gets thrown around. Also, Eric Mangini comes off arrogant as hell whenever he talks. Its seems to truly be a problem with the younger coaches like Joe Judge, Easterby, etc.
Right, the younger coaches who came under Bill. There are younger guys around the league who don't come across as arrogant.

I think it happens whenever the word dynasty gets thrown around. Also, Eric Mangini comes off arrogant as hell whenever he talks. Its seems to truly be a problem with the younger coaches like Joe Judge, Easterby, etc.

one small aside here - Jack Easterby was never a coach in New England and had zero to do with player personnel while he was here.

Something I’ve been thinking about today after reading some of the articles that have come out about Josh McDaniels. This was from an ex- Broncos player:

“After trading Cutler, Josh addressed the entire team and said, “Fellas, don’t worry about the quarterback situation. I can turn a high school quarterback into an All-Pro.”

Wow. The arrogance and ego, not just to actually think that, but to say it. But then it got me thinking back to the article that came out a while ago, when an unnamed Patriots coach said that give the staff a top 15 QB, and with their system and coaching they could win a Super Bowl. What a slap to the face of Brady, and also players like Gronk, Edelman, White, ….

Did the Patriots staff become so arrogant that they thought they could win without top talent? That they were more important than the players that were on the field? Bill always said publicly that players win, coaches lose, but it doesn’t seem that was the thought going on inside the building. Thinking that scheme and coaching is more important than talent may be one of the reasons we are where we are.
Yes.

None of the Patriots' coaches - including Belichick himself - have had any success as a head coach without Brady.... but they all sure thought they would. The sad fact of the matter is O'Brien probably is the most successful with his 2 WC wins... but how many firings are there? A dozen?

Judge is the one guy I have 0 respect for. He’s such a smug *******. I bet once Belichick’s done Judge won’t get another job in the league.
Every time I see his face on the sidelines I cringe. Bill made him assistant head coach. Bill is completely complicit in that quote from Judge and it’s obvious the coaching staff is made up of arrogant ****s who follow an arrogant ****. The Giants and Patriots offenses faceplanting in the most humiliating way has not humbled them.

The NFL is set up to reach parity. From the draft order, the salary cap, and just the randomness of sports where the talent pool is fairly even.

For over 20 years we avoided the big dips that every other franchise suffered, but now it's finally our time. I wouldn't blame it on arrogance or bad organizational structure, at least other than being bad grocery shoppers for much of the last decade.

Last edited:
I kind feel like a lot of these coaches watched Bill Belichick treat Brady a certain way, but did it more to keep everyone else in line and Brady took it (until he got older and decided he had enough) but deep down Bill knew what he had, even if his ego wouldn't allow him to publicly admit it.

However, it's beyond obvious his coaching staff are only good at being lapdogs who follow his orders and are too stupid to understand the reasons he did certain things and actually bought into the idea that they were all part of some special magical system that could make anyone work. Which is why Patricia, Judge, McDaniels, BoB, Flores, all had issues dealing with players (because they thought they weren't as important as the system), pissed everyone off and fell on their faces. Even Bill is seeing how valuable his program is when the talent isn't there to win. A 20 year dynasty with a track record of success in a few short years has players who aren't buying in.

The NFL is set up to reach parity. From the draft order, the salary cap, and just the randomness of sports where the talent pool is fairly even.

For over 20 years we avoided the big dips that every other franchise suffered, but now it's finally our time. I wouldn't blame it on arrongance or bad organizational structure, at least other than being bad grocery shoppers for much of the last decade.
It's set up to reward smart team building, which tends to induce parity if people mindlessly try to collect talent. The good programs will identify the gems in the draft and work free agency around their needs and stay consistent.

Every time I see his face on the sidelines I cringe. Bill made him assistant head coach. Bill is completely complicit in that quote from Judge and it’s obvious the coaching staff is made up of arrogant ****s who follow an arrogant ****. The Giants and Patriots offenses faceplanting in the most humiliating way has not humbled them.
I think they all became full of themselves as the wins/championships started piling up. Then you end up with a special teams coach mouthing off about Brady. Even Bill with his comment that in the later stages of his career that he wanted to coach players he liked, and that he was willing to trade Gronk, his best weapon and an all-time player, to Detroit while they were still a championship caliber team. Arrogance and over confidence had set in.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back