PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did the Patriots make a mistake not franchising Onwenu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the numbers I'm seeing that Onwenu will get, I absolutely think the new regime blew this.

Landon ****erson, a guard just signed for $20 million a year. What will Onwenu get selling himself as a decent/good tackle?

Wouldn't you want this negotiation leverage instead of starting from a free for all?

You might lose Dugger, but the safety market looks weak.

Everyone's patting the new staff on the back for a few signings, but this like a big mistake of misjudging the market to me.
Let me think - “YES” to keeping the OT…

With the numbers I'm seeing that Onwenu will get, I absolutely think the new regime blew this.

Landon ****erson, a guard just signed for $20 million a year. What will Onwenu get selling himself as a decent/good tackle?

Wouldn't you want this negotiation leverage instead of starting from a free for all?

Everyone's patting the new staff on the back for a few signings, but this like a big mistake of misjudging the market to me.
Landon ****erson was a pro bowler last 2 years and the max value is 20 million per year. It looks more in realm of 15-17 million.

My guess is onwenu is probably a tad lower than that . So might be anywhere with aav if 15-17 maxing at 19 million. Bur we might gave to get 50 million guaranteed to make him sign here.

The tag ship has sailed. Focus now should be on trying to keep him. Excellent guard, good tackle. That versatility has added value.

So I meant for this thread to be more about what they want to do, rather than a discussion on if Onwenu is worth it because I do not.

But if the team is in there with the negotiations, they misjudged this market from what I see.

That was my point though. The team may want him but does not think worth anywhere $20MM a year which I agree with.

They are letting him find out his market. They will probably be ok in the low teens but would let him walk if he gets near 20.

maybe we are patting them on the back because we are sick and tired of being negative all the ****ing time. Lets wait until we have had a chance to fill some holes on the roster and gear up for the draft. I think we will get some guys after cuts. Its all a long process

From what I've seen thus far as of this post, OG's are getting some big money. For what it's worth, based on his young age and proven talent (and especially if he checks out medically) I'd sign Jonah Williams, as he can plat LT or RT. It would at least give us a young and proven option at one OT spot.

Maybe so, maybe not. Onwenu is our best OL, but is a RT/RG worth that cap?

Transitioning Dugger is proving to be the mistake.

Your answer is in your post. The 2024 Franchise Tag for OL is $20,985,000. There's no way Onwenu signs that contract when he knows he can get a lot more on a long term contract in the FA market.
So I take the compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST