PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Josh McDaniels not do it for the family?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Did Josh McDaniels snub the Colts for his family?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Fnordcircle

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Ray Lewis killed a guy

Votes: 22 61.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me the thing Peter King ended up saying is that it wasn't for family it was for football, therefore being OC of the Pats is a better job than being HC of the Dolts! :D

Josh McDaniels’ decision to stay in New England was about football, not family says:
Peter King said this morning on PFT Live that the spin that McDaniels’ family was more comfortable in New England than with moving to Indianapolis wasn’t in any way related to McDaniels’ decision. Instead, it was all about him thinking he’d have a better career going forward if he remained with the Patriots than jumping to the Colts.

I was happy because he wrecked their season. Seeing the colts fans in pain helped my outlook

I am more concerned about more important things like whether or not WEEI will be new, improved, sensitive and all warm and fuzzy after their day of sensitivity training Friday.. Monday should be another "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens" kind of day..

Anybody who is married ( and expects to stay happily married) will discuss a job change, especially one that involves a major relocation with their spouse. This is especially true in coaching where you could be fired in 3 years and have to do it again. It is one thing if you don't have children or are an empty nester but with four young children, Josh's decision may not have been for family solely but it likely played a good part of the decision. When you are well paid and have job security in the coaching world, you are an anomaly ( as it appears Josh does -TFB helps) and there is no reason to upset the apple cart......
So yeah, I think King is FOS and McDaniels made his decision based on both family professional factors....

Right, but is that "prior contractual commitment" thing a transition rule or an ongoing rule?

I think it was a transition rule, i.e. grandfathering in everyone who had a commitment in place prior to the passage of the Rooney Rule, but not being applicable to any to any contracts signed after the passage of the Rule. But it would be nice to know for sure.

AFAIK it is an ongoing thing; I'm fairly sure there was a story in the last couple of years stating that the Fritz Pollard Alliance was okay with such an arrangement that currently exists (and I'm not talking about McDaniels).

I doubt we'll ever know what "really" happened, but my guess is that the line between "Professional" and "Family" reasons is blurred when Bob Kraft offers you a multi-million dollar bonus to remain with the team and when that bonus represents enough money to send your two kids to the best schools and buy them their first houses.

It's the old adage......you don't really what you have 'til it's gone.

Well, he didn't realize how good he had it until he was ALMOST gone. Fortunately for him he took his last opportunity to back out.

Sometimes people change their mind especially when they have no pressing reason to leave an organization. I think he got cold feet and didn't want to leave his comfort zone with NE. Simple....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST