PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Josh McDaniels not do it for the family?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Did Josh McDaniels snub the Colts for his family?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Fnordcircle

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Ray Lewis killed a guy

Votes: 22 61.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
For some reason Peter King’s opinion is taken as fact by the media today that it didn’t have to do with his family.

So what do we think? Maybe he just likes being OC if he has no assurance he’ll take Bill’s job? Hard to imagine he’ll get another shot anywhere but here.

images

Last edited:
There is likely no guarantee, and no one would admit to one if there was. But McDaniels was told something by Kraft, more than just a few dollars.

There is likely no guarantee, and no one would admit to one if there was. But McDaniels was told something by Kraft, more than just a few dollars.
Makes you wonder what he might be getting paid.

24png8.jpg

After a couple of interviews with junkie jimmy maybe all it took to convince him it was better being a prince in New England than a king in Indy was 5 minutes talking with Kraft.
That said, yeah...Ray Lewis Killed A Guy

Last edited:
Honestly, the only answer that we know has any validity is that Ray Lewis did indeed kill a guy. Sooooo, I’m just gonna go with that.

What no one knows is what chirping may have occurred within his family when he made his intentions known he would take the Colts job. He did intimate uprooting family now was a concern and may have been a nagging element. What Kraft and BB chirped into his ear after the SB, tipped the scale more to stay.

I like to think he did it to pay back the whiney baby organization for the whole deflategate joint sting operation with the league. Even if he didn't do it for that I'm glad Indy is suffering because of it.

Last edited:
Because of the Rooney Rule there can't be a legally-binding guarantee. So I have no doubt that the reports saying McDaniels wasn't given a guarantee are all technically correct. But I am convinced Kraft promised McDaniels the HC job on the soul of Myra or something like that.

Because of the Rooney Rule there can't be a legally-binding guarantee. So I have no doubt that the reports saying McDaniels wasn't given a guarantee are all technically correct. But I am convinced Kraft promised McDaniels the HC job on the soul of Myra or something like that.
I believe you have to have a minority soul interviewed first before you can make that promise.

I have nothing to back this up except for speculation (and quite a bit of projecting my own psyche onto Josh), but my theory is this: All things being equal, Josh wanted to keep his family here. The stability and foundation he'd built here was worth a lot to him, and he probably felt a lot of satisfaction at being really good at his job (which was not a guarantee as a HC).

But there's pressures in the NFL to move up, to keep pushing. It's assumed that every coordinator wants to be a head coach, and he was probably worried that if he kept turning jobs down, eventually he'd lose the chance altogether. So when Colts present a decent situation, with a good QB (if healthy), and a lot of money, it feels like too good of an opportunity to pass up. Deep down he doesn't want to go, but everything is too rewarding to say no.

Then Kraft and BB talk to him, up his pay, and offer him some opportunities here that maybe didn't exist before. Now that formula is changed, and where he WOULD have moved his family for three times the money, less than that no longer seemed worth it to him. So in a way, it was about the family, but was also about the Colts gig no longer being "too good to pass up" in comparison to his current situation.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I don't actually know anything.

I think he did it for the a-a-a-a-a-alcohol.

I believe you have to have a minority soul interviewed first before you can make that promise.
Someone was saying you can set up a line of succession and it is an exception to the Rooney Rule - I was not aware of this.

Here's the NFL briefing on the rule from 12/20/02:

"On the December 19-20 conference calls, the owners strongly agreed on the principle that any club seeking to hire a head coach will interview one or more minority applicants for the position. The one exception occurs when a club has made a prior contractual commitment to promote a member of its own staff and no additional interviewing takes place (e.g. Mike Martz and the St. Louis Rams in 2000)."
Redskins Insider - The Rooney Rule

Right, but is that "prior contractual commitment" thing a transition rule or an ongoing rule?

I think it was a transition rule, i.e. grandfathering in everyone who had a commitment in place prior to the passage of the Rooney Rule, but not being applicable to any to any contracts signed after the passage of the Rule. But it would be nice to know for sure.

Honestly I don't care.
I want to clarify this comment I am elated he is returning and lurking on the Colts board the weeks prior the Anti Patriot and Belichick chatter made me sick to my stomach they would get the fruits of Belichicks coaching tree.
Rather he stayed solely for family or saw it as a bad head coach opportunity in the end I don't care what I care about is that he spurned the Colts.
Being a family man to me that has to be a big part of the reason for him but I fully believe he was given every indication he was next coach up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye