PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did anyone else see Malcom Mitchell's drop pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucckevin

Rookie
Reaction score
It was actually called a catch on the field but on a replay that was cut short, the ball actually hit the ground and Mitchell fell on it! I was screaming for Brady to snap it quick or Atlanta would challenge but they never did... I'll take it though haha.

I nearly freaked out when Mitchel gave up the ball when he made a diving catch untouched. That was a rookie mistake and could just end the game right there.

My understanding was that it WAS a catch, but then he willingly put the ball on the ground as if he was aleardy down. The problem was that he clearly wasn't down. I screamed at the TV but the refs (to my surprise) seemed to have considered him 'down' as well. I wasn't complaining.

I was worried that was a drop too. Sometimes you see players make a catch, then fall to the ground, then plant the ball on the ground firmly.

After they ruled it a catch for Mitchell, I thinking maybe he did that too, except super quickly for some strange reason.

At least that's how I remember it. Maybe I'm totally wrong. I need to see a replay.

Last edited:
It was actually called a catch on the field but on a replay that was cut short, the ball actually hit the ground and Mitchell fell on it! I was screaming for Brady to snap it quick or Atlanta would challenge but they never did... I'll take it though haha.
same:)

Even if you're not touched you're considered down if you give yourself up. Maybe the refs felt he gave himself up? Or thought he had been touched and blew the whistle?

It was a catch. Aikman or Buck said Mitchell must have been thinking of the college rule when he put the ball down.

Last edited:
I don't think he was putting it down just to put it down. I thought he was worried he hadn't made the first down and was quickly reaching the ball out to pick up another half-yard.

Last edited:
Even if you're not touched you're considered down if you give yourself up. Maybe the refs felt he gave himself up? Or thought he had been touched and blew the whistle?

I remember some rookie receiver left the ball on the ground after the catch while being untouched. It was against Pats. Pats stayed alerted and got the possession. I think you have to slide or dive to be considered giving yourself up.

It was a catch. Aikman or Buck said Mitchell must have been thinking of the college rule when he put the ball down.

I don't know what Aikman was thinking but Buck was drinking.

I remember some rookie receiver left the ball on the ground after the catch while being untouched. It was against Pats. Pats stayed alerted and got the possession. I think you have to slide or dive to be considered giving yourself up.

You can look at the officials and indicate that you are giving yourself up, at which point the official acknowledges that you've done so and blows the whistle while waving hands over head to indicate the play is over.

this is the play I meant. It was not a smart move by the rookie.

Of course MM played well. I sincerely thought we would mount a historical comeback at the half. But this play scared me a little.

Yes, it was against San Diego. Receiver caught the ball untouched, jumped up and put the ball on the ground.

Pats recovered his "fumble".

When you watch JW's game winning TD (!!!!) Mitchell takes off in a celebratory sprint that I believe (scientifically) would've had him outrunning Usain Bolt. :) So fun how quickly he disappears from the frame of the sideline shot once the ref signaled that White got in.

Yes, it was against San Diego. Receiver caught the ball untouched, jumped up and put the ball on the ground.

Pats recovered his "fumble".

damn, it must be four or five years ago. good for u.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back