Devonta Freeman: We can do whatever we want against NE Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Devonta Freeman: “Pick your poison” when defending our offense

He doesn't seem too concerned about the patriots defense.
Running back Devonta Freeman, during a Thursday night phone interview with PFT, was blunt and matter-of-fact about the prospect of the Patriots or anyone else stopping Atlanta from gaining yards and scoring points.

“We can do whatever we want,” Freeman said, adding that the Patriots like any other defense facing the Falcons will have to “pick your poison.”.

He also added this nugget - their offensive game plan doesn't change from game to game.

Last edited:
Code:
Rank
#12          LeGarrette Blount  NE
Rush Yds/Gm
Rush Att/Gm
Rush Att
Rush Yds           
Rush Yds/Att   
Rush TDs          
Rush TDs/Gm 

#14          Devonta Freeman  ATL
Rush Yds/Gm  
Rush Att/Gm   
Rush Att            
Rush Yds           
Rush Yds/Att   
Rush TDs          
Rush TDs/Gm  

Hey, Freeman is no slouch, but Patriot's aren't exactly ignorant of the pick your poison concept either...

Last edited:
He's been right so far, nobody has really stopped them. Only Seattle's defense is anywhere near as good as ours, and they didn't stop them (in the playoffs). Even in their losses, only Philadelphia kept them under 24 points (held them to 15 points). So even in a majority of their losses, they scored 24+ points. That's a really potent offense.

But Atlanta's biggest test will be our #1 scoring defense. And THEIR defense, has only faced 1 offense that has scored more than the Pats, New Orleans. Even though they beat New Orleans twice, New Orleans scored 32 points in both games. Pats have been averaging 31 points a game WITHOUT Gronk.

Should be interesting. I think it's gonna be a good game. I don't think this is really bulletin board material.

Let me know how the Patriots are going to defend the RBs receiving out of the backfield, and I'll tell you whether or not the Falcons will be able to do whatever they want on offense.

Awwww how kind of DeVonta to give us the choice to "pick our poison." Unfortunately, for ATL, NE won't be as courteous. We'll just strap them down & begin to fully inject without any recourse or preference!;)

Do you guys remember before the 2007 Super Bowl? Plaxico Burress predicted that the Patriots would score 17 points. A reporter relayed this to Brady, who responded with, "we're only going to score 17 points? [dismissive laugh] ...okay... is Plax playing defense?"

This is practically the same thing, and I really do not care.

The more I look at their offense, the more confident I am. They've been middle of the pack in converting on 3rd down, and they've struggled inside the red zone this season. Given the fact that Bill is excellent when it comes to coaching situational football, I think those weaknesses can definitely be exploited and they can be held to FGs.

Do you guys remember before the 2007 Super Bowl? Plaxico Burress predicted that the Patriots would score 17 points. A reporter relayed this to Brady, who responded with, "we're only going to score 17 points? [dismissive laugh] ...okay... is Plax playing defense?"

This is practically the same thing, and I really do not care.

Except the Giants specifically were pi$$ed Brady for saying this. Michael Strahan even admitted it that it was motivation for them. Basically they felt Brady was giving them no respect.

Yes, I strongly suggest the Pats use this as motivation in case they needed anymore to win a Super Bowl.

At face value, though, this is really a non story. The Falcons are the #1 scoring team in the league. They should be confident in their abilities, yes, even if they are facing the #1 scoring defense.

I'd like to think that Tom Brady felt this confident when the team faced the #1 defense (yardage wise) against Houston. Guess, what, the Texans did have to pick their poison. They picked the option of pressuring the QBs and underneath routes, so Brady killed them deep.

Yes, the difference is that Tom Brady may have just been 'thinking' it but Freeman actually 'said' it. To me still a non story though.

I know this whole 'talk up your opponent like they are the greatest team to ever step foot on a football field' works for the Pats, but that doesn't mean it has to be everyone's way.

The more I look at their offense, the more confident I am. They've been middle of the pack in converting on 3rd down, and they've struggled inside the red zone this season. Given the fact that Bill is excellent when it comes to coaching situational football, I think those weaknesses can definitely be exploited and they can be held to FGs.

Im curious FS, what their rankings for 3rd down conversions and Red Zone offense vs. Pats 3rd down D, Red Zone D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes