PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Detroit may release/trade Trey Flowers

I agree but see it slightly differently. Sign Fatukasi as a FA (27 next year) not Shelton (29 next year), draft Jordan Davis, and kick Barmore out to DE opposite Judon. Perkins, McGrone or Bentley, and McMillan behind the four man line. Barmore can bulk up and learn to rush from a DE position while Fatukasi and Davis collpase the pocket -that would be exciting. Use Barmore like we used to use Wilfork.
Barmore, is different than Wilfork. He should absolutely not bulk up to try to replicate big Vince.

Barmore, is different than Wilfork. He should absolutely not bulk up to try to replicate big Vince.

Agreed. But Barmore can get stronger and I would like to see him at DE in 2022 after learning DT this year. Barmore is not Wilfork.

Pair him with Barmore Judon and a big NT and that truly clogs the middle. Draft Jordan Davis, see if you can add Danny Shelton and you’ve pretty much fixed your front 4 and helped in the run stopping immensely.

Trey Flowers is a monster in this defense, creates pressure like noone’s business and instantly makes Judon and Barmore more formidable. Hell yes to Flowers if he becomes available.

Yes to Flowers, No to his $20m+ salary

Surprised on how low this board is on Flowers. It's not a surprise he flopped in Detroit given the level of dysfunction there. Flowers was never a world beating stud, he is a steady performer as a cog in a functional defense.

I could see him returning to near form if he came back here, and I'd eat Godchaux's dead money to do it.

Agreed. But Barmore can get stronger and I would like to see him at DE in 2022 after learning DT this year. Barmore is not Wilfork.

Even at alabama, barmore had a nt to control the a gap and let him work as a 5 technique.

Imo this team has a lot banking on the progress of McGrone and Perkins. If they kept their heads in the playbook and come in and instantly contribute it would go a long way to shortening the rebuild.

This team has more holes to fill than a milton bradley connect 4 game. I’d guess the only positions of strength is QB, RB/FB and possibly safety.

I've been more out of touch with football this year than I've ever been, including even the Patriots. Mind giving me a refresher as to who these two are (what rnd were they drafted, what reasonable expectations are, are they potential steals or just some youth)?

Even at alabama, barmore had a nt to control the a gap and let him work as a 5 technique.

Yes agreed. Barmore is very quick, he can come off the edge with power to rush the QB and hold the edge. Players learn new positions.

Yeah, he should get stronger with a full NFL offseason. I’m OK with moving him around, but it is really nice to see the Pats with a DT who can penetrate the opposing O-line as opposed to just just tying them up and playing 2 gap.

I've been more out of touch with football this year than I've ever been, including even the Patriots. Mind giving me a refresher as to who these two are (what rnd were they drafted, what reasonable expectations are, are they potential steals or just some youth)?

Perkins was drafted out of Oklahoma. High motor type with a a 2nd round grade by analysts. Without checking Pats drafted him with 3rd or 4th. Little small for NFL DE but has the body type to be a big LB in BB system.

McGrone played LB at Michigan, didnt play first year but had a up and coming sophomore season. 5 games into junior season tore his acl. Showed good instincts and coaches loved him. Probably would of been higher than 5th if not for injury.

Chances both of these players make an impact are slim like with most rookies or anyone drafted for that matter. Perkins has reps with team in practice but dont think he suited up this year.

Uche and Winovich were complete no shows or just x’d off the roster, so was Owenu for the most part. Not sure really why but Michigan isn’t getting any love from Belichick as far as playing time.

Hoping Perkins, McGrone and Mcmillan can get acclimated and get in there. Not sure Jennings wasn't a miss, I guess we'll see next year.

Bill DOES have 3 young guys(Excluding Wino and Uche) that were good prospects coming up.
He hardly (If ever)ever plays them, he SEEMS to want them to concentrate on the run game to get playing time..but he's got decent speed waiting to go IF HE HAS A TRENCH that can dominate.
Just my thoughts, y'all don't have to agree.

Last edited:
Another guy like Collins and Van Noy, who is old and slow but “knows the system”. No thanks!

Another guy like Collins and Van Noy, who is old and slow but “knows the system”. No thanks!

Flowers is only 28. And he isn’t slow. He has a limited skill set that the Pats seem to get the most out of him where the Lions couldn’t. If he gets cut and comes back to the Pats on a value deal to rehab his career and hit free agency in 2023, I wouldn’t be against it. He could benefit from being bookended with Judon assuming the first 2/3 of the year Judon returns next year.

Were getting the band back together again.

Defense needs speed and nothing but

Defense needs speed and nothing but

Speed is important, but that isn't the only thing. They need someone who can set the edge (which isn't necessarily a speed thing). They need d-linemen who don't get pushed off the ball in the running game. And LBs who can fill their gap assignments.

Yes, this year's LBs were slow, but the Pats' defense is set up that you don't need a lot of speed to be successful. The problem is when you have below average speed or well below average speed, you can get burnt.

That is a scary proposition for IOL. He's plenty strong right now. I would def not bulk him up.
Draft someone like Davis, Ridgeway, Travis Jones is also big enough (a little too tall) or maybe Mathis can play the run better. He's a little more similar to Barmore though.

The last two seasons Flowers has lasted half a season before winding up on the IR. One has to be concerned about his overall health more than his level of play. In three seasons prior to going to Detroit Flowers averaged 7 sacks/50 tackles/2 Forced Fumbles every season at defensive end for the Pats... his first season in Detroit: 7 sacks/51 tackles/2 Forced Fumbles... he was the exact same player he was in New England but on a substantially worse team.

Talent doesn't ebb and flow like levels on a video game. Nelson Agholor and Jonnu Smith are the same players they were last year, only now they're on a worse offense or in a different system that can't find a way to utilize their skillsets. Unlike a video game, you can't plug and play personnel and assume all things will be equal.

Detroit fans should be irate at their front office for overpaying a single player, the reason the Patriots moved on is because the market became too rich. New England pays well but they never overpay, even if that sometimes annoys the fanbase when a player like Chandler Jones or Jamie Collins moves on. If the fans thought a magic player was going to come in and fix everything wrong with the entire defense, then that's on them. Teams win games, not individual players in a vacuum. The Lions were a dumpster fire. If Flowers is a free agent, can pass a physical and willing to play on a prove it, incentive laden contract then we should be happy to have him.

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back