PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Detroit may release/trade Trey Flowers

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Anyone know if he's still good? Could be a good pick up for us.

What will the Detroit Lions do with Trey Flowers? (sidelionreport.com)

Flowers of course has two years left on his contract after this one, with current cap numbers of $23.239 and $23.614 million respectively (according to Over The Cap). Cutting him before June 1, 2022 would clear just shy of $10.4 million in cap space, with $12.85 million in dead money. Designating him a post-June 1 cut would clear $16 million in cap room, and leave behind $7.239 million in dead money.

A trade, before or after June 1, shifts the numbers–almost evenly in dead money/cleared cap room before June 1 on that $23.2 millon cap hit, and with only $5.6 million in dead money if he were officially traded after June 1.

Lions general manager Brad Holmes was charged with cleaning up plenty of the previous regime’s sins. Flowers’ contract can’t be offloaded as easily as would be ideal. But if a trade market for him doesn’t come to light in the offseason, he may have to have his contract restructured (take a pay cut) to stay in Detroit next season. It’s very likely Flowers’ time as a Lion is nearing the end, one way or another.

I’ve been calling a trade or release for some time. I followed him in Detroit and he’s really terrible. He was bad under Patricia. They got so desperate not knowing what to do with him, they moved him to LB. Nothing worked. Trey wants out and the media hasn’t been too kind to him.

I know he’s loved on here, but he was schemed up to make him look better than he really was.

Last edited:
He's played 14 games over the past two seasons, so durability is a question mark... No longer the player he was, but maybe he could return to some semblance of an impact player... He will only be 29 next season... But the price has to be cheap... Otherwise he's not worth it...

Pair him with Barmore Judon and a big NT and that truly clogs the middle. Draft Jordan Davis, see if you can add Danny Shelton and you’ve pretty much fixed your front 4 and helped in the run stopping immensely.

Trey Flowers is a monster in this defense, creates pressure like noone’s business and instantly makes Judon and Barmore more formidable. Hell yes to Flowers if he becomes available.

No one is going to trade for him with those cap figures. They’ll have to cut him if they want to save money. I’d love it if he was brought back. He performed as well as he did here his first year in Detroit but has regressed due to injuries. If Bill can get him at an affordable price, I’d love to bring him back. He’d be a very solid depth piece to rotate on the edge and can line up at DT in rush packages. Solid run defender, solid pass rusher, and Bill knows best how to use him.

He can be a good depth piece that Bill can place in the right position. Thanfully.... it seems like Chandler Jones is the only defensive piece we've had in a hot minute who was so good outside the system that we could never get him back.

that said... he's not some silver bullet answer.

As soon as he left here, I thought he fit the profile of a player who thrived here, got overpaid to play on a bad team, wore out his welcome quickly, and came back for cheap.

Seems like there's only one step left in the process. If he gets cut, that would make it a lot more logical.

He can be a good depth piece that Bill can place in the right position. Thanfully.... it seems like Chandler Jones is the only defensive piece we've had in a hot minute who was so good outside the system that we could never get him back.

that said... he's not some silver bullet answer.

Seymour on the Raiders was a badass.

were they just that clueless how to use him or has he regressed that bad? He was a monster here 2016-2018 and sb51 isnt won without him. Gotta be worth a look at the right price.

He performed as well as he did here his first year in Detroit but has regressed due to injuries.
He was actually pretty bad. Defense got worse with his arrival which shouldn’t happen when you pay someone $90M. Media wasn’t kind to him confronting his disappearing act his first year. He padded his stats late in the season when it was out of reach to make it look respectable.

I wouldn’t mind kicking the tires, but it would have to be a team friendly deal. He WAS good in our system.

Last edited:
Pair him with Barmore Judon and a big NT and that truly clogs the middle. Draft Jordan Davis, see if you can add Danny Shelton and you’ve pretty much fixed your front 4 and helped in the run stopping immensely.

Trey Flowers is a monster in this defense, creates pressure like noone’s business and instantly makes Judon and Barmore more formidable. Hell yes to Flowers if he becomes available.

I agree but see it slightly differently. Sign Fatukasi as a FA (27 next year) not Shelton (29 next year), draft Jordan Davis, and kick Barmore out to DE opposite Judon. Perkins, McGrone or Bentley, and McMillan behind the four man line. Barmore can bulk up and learn to rush from a DE position while Fatukasi and Davis collpase the pocket -that would be exciting. Use Barmore like we used to use Wilfork.

He was actually pretty bad. Defense got worse with his arrival which shouldn’t happen when you pay someone $90M. Media wasn’t kind to him confronting his disappearing act his first year. He padded his stats late in the season when it was out of reach to make it look respectable.
Hm. I don’t remember that. I thought he performed pretty well his first year there. Either way, if the price is alright, he always had solid performance here. Scheme or not, no reason to think he can’t come back here and continue where he left off. If he can keep the injuries in check that is. We could use him all over the line, and he would help spell guys and keep them fresh. Flowers, Barmore, Judon is a nice start to a 4 man line. Again, the price would have to be right. If we brought him back and paid him 9M+, not sure I’d be good with that. Hell, maybe even sign him to a one year prove it deal.

I agree but see it slightly differently. Sign Fatukasi as a FA (27 next year) not Shelton (29 next year), draft Jordan Davis, and kick Barmore out to DE opposite Judon. Perkins, McGrone or Bentley, and McMillan behind the four man line. Barmore can bulk up and learn to rush from a DE position while Fatukasi and Davis collpase the pocket -that would be exciting. Use Barmore like we used to use Wilfork.
I’m on the Fatukasi train with ya!

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back