PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Details behind the Browns bungling of McCarron Trade

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
A very detailed account of how inept the Cleveland Brown front office was, in not completing the trade in time with the Bengals:
Browns' and Bengals' AJ McCarron trade documents didn't match and more buzz from the botched trade: Mary Kay Cabot

1. A reminder of how fortunate we are to have Belichick and Caserio
2. Sashi Brown has zero football experience. The Browns have a lawyer running their football and GM operations.
3. Their office staff have no idea how to complete basic trades. The rule book clearly states how to notify the league office and they don't seem to know this information.
4. I don't see how this Browns front office survives. The bungling of this trade shows complete incompetence, or alternatively since the owner pushed for it, shows insubordination.

The word out here in NE Ohio is that Hue Jackson and the Browns management have never been on the same page and this is one of the major reasons for the team's problems. Before the draft, the Browns wanted Garoppolo but upper management was unwilling to go any higher than a second and third draft choice but Jackson reportedly wanted to trade the lower of their two first rounders. In last year's draft, Jackson wanted Deshaun Watson with one of the first round picks but management wanted to trade down to collect more draft choices. The McCarron debacle was just the ultimate example of the dysfunctional relationship between the coach and management.

Incompetence, yes. Inexperience. The fact that the Browns agreed too late in the day precipitated the clusterfark.

man, when any owner messes w/ the GM/coach functions of the team, that team always sucks

why cant owners just hire who they want, and then let the person you CHOSE, do the job you HIRED them for and get out of the way

The word out here in NE Ohio is that Hue Jackson and the Browns management have never been on the same page and this is one of the major reasons for the team's problems. Before the draft, the Browns wanted Garoppolo but upper management was unwilling to go any higher than a second and third draft choice but Jackson reportedly wanted to trade the lower of their two first rounders. In last year's draft, Jackson wanted Deshaun Watson with one of the first round picks but management wanted to trade down to collect more draft choices. The McCarron debacle was just the ultimate example of the dysfunctional relationship between the coach and management.

Hue is going through his back channel outlets (M Silver) to get his "story" out before hand.

A couple of problems:

For all this talk, nobody exactly knows what transpired between JG's agent and his contact with the Browns. I have heard (second hand type) that the agent told management he doesn't want this place.

Latest rumor here is McDaniels and Caserio are on the docket here. ( NE Ohio natives/ John Carroll U teammates).

Think BB wants them with JG?

SF had Hoyer.....who needed a backup QB?

Frankly, I believe JG really wasn't available so the discussion is N/A.

Had Brady really fallen off this year.....nothing happens.

Now for the Browns

Zero point keeping expensive overpriced veterans for a 3-13 or 4-12 caliber team.

Next year 5 picks in the first two rounds.

Not sold on Deshaun Watson.......RG3 except he didn't actually win.

TONS of cap space.

This regime traded for J Collins.....they can complete a trade. I believe Cincy thought they had them punked.

Hue is going through his back channel outlets (M Silver) to get his "story" out before hand.

A couple of problems:

For all this talk, nobody exactly knows what transpired between JG's agent and his contact with the Browns. I have heard (second hand type) that the agent told management he doesn't want this place.

Latest rumor here is McDaniels and Caserio are on the docket here. ( NE Ohio natives/ John Carroll U teammates).

Think BB wants them with JG?

SF had Hoyer.....who needed a backup QB?

Frankly, I believe JG really wasn't available so the discussion is N/A.

Had Brady really fallen off this year.....nothing happens.

Now for the Browns

Zero point keeping expensive overpriced veterans for a 3-13 or 4-12 caliber team.

Next year 5 picks in the first two rounds.

Not sold on Deshaun Watson.......RG3 except he didn't actually win.

TONS of cap space.

This regime traded for J Collins.....they can complete a trade. I believe Cincy thought they had them punked.
I don't believe the possibility of McDaniels or Patricia becoming head coaches in Cleveland had any bearing whatsoever on BB's decision to trade JG to Cleveland. BB was playing a conservative hand of poker this late in the game and got what he thought would be the best return on his investment when it came to JG.

The Browns lucked out, they were about to make a terrible panicked decision giving up a 2nd and 3rd for AJ McCarron.

I don't believe the possibility of McDaniels or Patricia becoming head coaches in Cleveland had any bearing whatsoever on BB's decision to trade JG to Cleveland. BB was playing a conservative hand of poker this late in the game and got what he thought would be the best return on his investment when it came to JG.

Obviously that's correct.

Why else would a genius like Belichick initiate talks with the franchise that has a very distant second most assets.....

.........and ignore the club with way more superior assets.

Talk about maximizing value.

Obviously that's correct.

Why else would a genius like Belichick initiate talks with the franchise that has a very distant second most assets.....

.........and ignore the club with way more superior assets.

Talk about maximizing value.
I simply stated my conclusion by saying "I don't believe...", but based on your smug response, you would give the impression that your scenario must be the only reason why he didn't trade JG to Cleveland is based on an uncertain that Josh or Matt MIGHT possibly end up coaching there. What was I thinking? Obviously you must be correct because obviously you know for a fact that BB uses a crystal ball and a soothsayer before making such important decisions.

I simply stated my conclusion by saying "I don't believe...", but based on your smug response, you would give the impression that your scenario must be the only reason why he didn't trade JG to Cleveland is based on an uncertain that Josh or Matt MIGHT possibly end up coaching there. What was I thinking? Obviously you must be correct because obviously you know for a fact that BB uses a crystal ball and a soothsayer before making such important decisions.

Yeah

You caught patsfanincleveland.

The next line in patsfanincleveland's post:

"SF had Hoyer.......who needed a backup QB?"

Can't be attributed to patsfanincleveland....Ian inserted this retroactively to call attention to the newly launched advertising on patsfans.com in support of the Hoyer Actionwear clothing line

Yeah

You caught patsfanincleveland.

The next line in patsfanincleveland's post:

"SF had Hoyer.......who needed a backup QB?"

Can't be attributed to patsfanincleveland....Ian inserted this retroactively to call attention to the newly launched advertising on patsfans.com in support of the Hoyer Actionwear clothing line
Nevermind....you're either too overmedicated or not enough.

The Browns lucked out, they were about to make a terrible panicked decision giving up a 2nd and 3rd for AJ McCarron.

I guess a lot depends on how one thinks that the teams will value McCarron in January.

The article is pretty clear that the Browns thought the way to complete the trade was to send the Bengals a document to sign... which is what to do within 15 days of the trade. The Browns didn't know they had to notify the league office of the terms of the trade.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back