PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver Game Rescheduled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes sense to play late time zones and all.

The NFL has moved the kickoff for the week five game between the Patriots and Broncos to 4:25 pm ET.

The Cam Newton-led Patriots have been a joy to watch over the first three weeks, and it would appear that the NFL would like to get as many eyeballs as possible on their games. So get ready for lots of early evening football in New England.
Week 5’s Patriots-Broncos matchup has been flexed to 4:25 p.m., giving New England three straight late afternoon starts. That streak starts this weekend when the Patriots visit the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs in Missouri, and concludes with Week 7’s showdown with the San Francisco 49ers in Foxboro. New England’s bye week is after their Oct. 11 game against the Broncos.

Considering that the Broncos are pretty bad, I was trying to figure out why the decision to move the game; usually you want a game with two good teams as your national broadcast. The reason is pretty simple: the two games CBS currently has in the late afternoon slot are not particularly appealing. There is the Colts-Browns, which could be okay - but it's not a great game for that 4:25 national time slot.

The other game currently in the 4:25 time slot? Giants-Cowboys. Gimme a break... How could any of the schedule makers not know that game was going to be a dog?

One other tidbit from the link above:

The Patriots now have just one 1 p.m. game over the seven weeks, a Nov. 1 tilt in Buffalo against the 3-0 Bills. They’ll then play back-to-back primetime games: Monday night, Nov. 9 against the Jets in New Jersey and Sunday night, Nov. 15 against the Baltimore Ravens in Foxboro.

It would not surprise me if the game against the Bills gets flexed also.

I like 4:25 games these days because it means I can watch 1 PM Redzone, which is arguably the most fun football watching experience short of the Patriots winning in the playoffs.

The NFL has moved the kickoff for the week five game between the Patriots and Broncos to 4:25 pm ET.

The Cam Newton-led Patriots have been a joy to watch over the first three weeks, and it would appear that the NFL would like to get as many eyeballs as possible on their games. So get ready for lots of early evening football in New England.
Week 5’s Patriots-Broncos matchup has been flexed to 4:25 p.m., giving New England three straight late afternoon starts. That streak starts this weekend when the Patriots visit the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs in Missouri, and concludes with Week 7’s showdown with the San Francisco 49ers in Foxboro. New England’s bye week is after their Oct. 11 game against the Broncos.

Considering that the Broncos are pretty bad, I was trying to figure out why the decision to move the game; usually you want a game with two good teams as your national broadcast. The reason is pretty simple: the two games CBS currently has in the late afternoon slot are not particularly appealing. There is the Colts-Browns, which could be okay - but it's not a great game for that 4:25 national time slot.

The other game currently in the 4:25 time slot? Giants-Cowboys. Gimme a break... How could any of the schedule makers not know that game was going to be a dog?

The Patriots now have just one 1 p.m. game over the seven weeks, a Nov. 1 tilt in Buffalo against the 3-0 Bills. They’ll then play back-to-back primetime games: Monday night, Nov. 9 against the Jets in New Jersey and Sunday night, Nov. 15 against the Baltimore Ravens in Foxboro.

I would think the Bills game gets flexed. That will be an awesome game.

Is week 5 a CBS week ?

Is week 8 ?

Doesn't that matter on that kind of flex ?
I see Seahawks vs 49ers is week 8 4:25PM game

No more 1pm games until November.

I like 4:25 games these days because it means I can watch 1 PM Redzone, which is arguably the most fun football watching experience short of the Patriots winning in the playoffs.
Was going to say the exact same thing.

Reactions: jah

When it's an all-NFC East tilt, it almost doesn't matter how good/bad the teams are. Their fans watch.

I do love that most thought the Pats would fall off the map and here we are getting flexed looking like a team that will compete with anyone. Love it.

I would be surprised at that.. Remember that networks get to protect certain games of their choosing... If I'm CBS, no way I want that moved since it will be a very HIGH draw..

Woohoo! This is going to give me a bigger chance of getting that game even if it won't get game of the week coverage.

I bet Giants Cowboys moves to 1 PM if Bills and Titans keep winning. Not sure about the Colts vs Browns.

Edit: Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but after tomorrow(Tuesday) it's too late to flex any games for week 5, correct?

Last edited:
I think in CBS' mind the Giants and Cowboys were going to be about 2-2 or better coming in and we both know they're top 5 TV markets.

Is week 5 a CBS week ?

Is week 8 ?

Doesn't that matter on that kind of flex ?
I see Seahawks vs 49ers is week 8 4:25PM game
Week 5 is a CBS week. Week 8 is a Fox week. If Bills and Pats keep winning CBS will most likely protect the Pats vs Bills game. So I don't see that being an option for Fox.

See here for reference: 506sports.com - NFL

The SNF game for that week is Cowboys Eagles.

Might be tough to flex that out, but if the Eagles continue to lose...

I feel bad for all the people with tickets who now have to rearrange ..... oh... wait... nevermind

lol, sorry i couldn't resist ... sometimes i kill me :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes