PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dennard arrested for DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because driving drunk usually lacks any kind of criminal intent?

DUI really is something that can happen to almost anyone, no matter how "good" or how "virtuous" they are. I mean, it's kind of like making a big mistake when figuring out your taxes.

By definition, the person has been drinking and their mental process is impaired. What's one of the first things to go ? Rational decision making. We all understand this which is why we aren't surprised when someone does something stupid when they are drunk.

It's against the law and there's a price to be paid, but let's put this in a slightly different light. If Dennard were a mid level manager at some local company, do you think he should be fired for getting a DUI ? Should everyone who gets arrested for DUI this year be fired from their job because of it ?

that is BS, it can't happen to everyone, just the dimwits that can't control their behavior.

I guess I ask the question because it seems that you're holding Dennard to a higher standard than you would even yourself. Basing it on the fact that he shared a locker room with Hernandez for one season, likely having minimal interaction.

This makes no sense to me at all. If I did what Dennard (allegedly) did I would fully expect to be released.

Read what I wrote above for all the answers you seek.

I read what you wrote and no, it doesn't answer the question that I asked. Again, have you EVER taken your eyes off the road for 2 seconds or more to look at/for something in your car ??

The Patriots will still sell out the stadium every week, they still will sell plenty of gear, and they will still attract top talent. Nothing will change by keeping him. This whole "damage the Patriots brand" nonsense is just that...nonsense.

And besides, the Pats "brand" has already been irreparably damaged in the eyes of the haters
for as long as Bill Belichick remains in power. So who gives a flying feck what they think?

I agree it is dangerous. I also agree that he screwed up.

If we eliminate all players who have been arrested, exhibited any sign of character issue this franchise is unlikely to be competitive in this NFL. It's just the way it is. These people are not all good guys. And if they're not playing here than they will be playing someplace else.

You are stretching my argument beyond recognition. I never said any player who demonstrated any character issues should be released, just that this player with this behavior has shown remarkable lack of judgement, much more than a singular DUI.

that is BS, it can't happen to everyone, just the dimwits that can't control their behavior.

Really? "Dimwits who can't control their behavior" ?

All manner of people get DUI's; Doctors, lawyers, judges, pastors, teachers, college professors, scientists, police officers, yada, yada, yada.

I'm talking about people who can indeed control their behavior and normally are upstanding, law abiding citizens of good character.

I read what you wrote and no, it doesn't answer the question that I asked. Again, have you EVER taken your eyes off the road for 2 seconds or more to look at/for something in your car ??

Actually, it does provide the answers you seek, just not material for the straw man you are trying build here.

Really? "Dimwits who can't control their behavior" ?

All manner of people get DUI's; Doctors, lawyers, judges, pastors, teachers, college professors, scientists, police officers, yada, yada, yada.

I'm talking about people who can indeed control their behavior and normally are upstanding, law abiding citizens of good character.

So, once people ingest alcohol they are no longer responsible for their behavior?

Probably. That doesn't mean that he should make a reactionary move and cut Dennard though. The kid made a boneheaded, idiotic mistake.

Considering where the Pats are as an org, what just happened, and him being on probation, this is more than just a bonehead mistake. All pats players should be laying low after what just transpired the past two weeks for a good while.

ITT: a lot of people don't understand the difference between parole and probation.

I hope that he is suspended for at least 8 games if he was drunk.

I'm not sure either the team or the league would be allowed to come down on him quite so heavy handed.

The NFL doesn't suspend players for that long for a DUI; in some cases they don't suspend a player at all.

Hines Ward was arrested in 2011 for a DUI, and eventually that was pled down to a reckless driving charge; no suspension.

Marshawn Lynch was arrested in the off season a year ago for DUI, and he had had previous incidents; he was suspended three games on a weapons charge in 2009, and if I recall correctly he had another driving incident in Buffalo. That most recent case has yet to be resolved, the latest being a motion to suppress certain evidence and it is now continued until November.

Does that mean that Dennard will not be suspended by the NFL? My way-too-early guess is that he will - but not right away.

Keep in mind the August court date is just an arraignment, where all that happens is you plead guilty or not guilty, and tell the judge that you do or do not need a public defender. That's it.

The trial itself won't happen until later, and his lawyer will probably be able to push it off until after the season is over; expect Goodell to hand down his punishment at that time.

Actually, it does provide the answers you seek, just not material for the straw man you are trying build here.

No, your previous posts don't answer the question. I'm asking about things like have you ever taken your eyes off the road to look down at a map ? Or to glance over some documents for work ? Or to try and find something that you set in the passenger seat ? Or to get something that's rolling around on the floor of the passenger seat and is driving you nuts?

These are things that normal, well adjusted people of high character do every single day while driving. These are also things that put other drivers at risk for bodily harm or even death.

Here is the document from Dennard's arrest:

13068764-large.jpg

And from the police report:

"On 7-11-2013, just before 2am, a sergeant with the Lincoln Police Department was west bound on Normal Boulevard when he observed a red Honda Accord 4-door. The vehicle, traveling directly in front of the marked police cruiser, was seen straddling lane lines. A traffic stop was initiated near S. 52nd Street and Normal Boulevard. Upon contact, the driver, 23 year old Alfonzo Dennard, emitted an odor of alcohol and displayed signs of impairment. Standardized Field Sobriety Tests were conducted at the scene. Alfonzo Dennard was then transported to Cornhusker Place for a formal breath test. At that location, Alfonzo Dennard would not provide an adequate breath sample for testing. He was subsequently cited and released for DUI, Refusal of a Chemical Test and Straddling Lane Lines."​

Document: Police report for Alfonzo Dennard's DUI arrest | Nick Underhill | masslive.com

Why do so many cops have such lousy handwriting?

No, your previous posts don't answer the question. I'm asking about things like have you ever taken your eyes off the road to look down at a map ? Or to glance over some documents for work ? Or to try and find something that you set in the passenger seat ? Or to get something that's rolling around on the floor of the passenger seat and is driving you nuts?

These are things that normal, well adjusted people of high character do every single day while driving. These are also things that put other drivers at risk for bodily harm or even death.

And is still a straw man. But if you must ask, I stopped talking on the cell phone because I noticed a drop in my driving ability, I never text, period, let alone while driving and I rarely do anything other than drive. I might end up looking at a garmin 2-3 a year, but usually I map it out before hand and just blast the thing so I don't have to look.

Probably the only "legitimate" distraction is the radio, because I do sometimes sift through and grab a CD, but that is almost always done a lights or gas stations.

So, you have your answers. None of this really matters to the discussion at hand, but you have them nonetheless. :)

So, once people ingest alcohol they are no longer responsible for their behavior?

They are responsible to some degree, though not as responsible as someone who hasn't been drinking.

Look, I'm not saying that he shouldn't pay a price or suffer some consequences. What I am saying is that I look at DUI as a completely different class of offense than something like Breaking and Entering, or 1st degree robbery/burglary, or domestic abuse, or even possession of controlled substances.

When looking at crimes and determining a penalty for them, INTENT generally plays a big part. Did you INTEND to hit the guy or was it an accident ? Even if you did INTEND to do it, was there any malice or ill will ?

Or looking specifically at issues involving cars and driving, did you INTEND to run into that other car ? Or was it a case where you were just careless. Even in situations where it was due to being careless, how flagrant or reckless was that carelessness ?

Going back to the question I asked you about whether you had ever looked away from the road while driving down it at 40+ mph, it's one thing if you look away for 2 seconds to grab something off the passenger seat. However, if you were trying to read a book or watch a movie driving down the road, that would go way over the line and rise to the level of reckless disregard.

At this point Talib may as well just start pissing on BB and tell him it's raining.

They are responsible to some degree, though not as responsible as someone who hasn't been drinking.

Look, I'm not saying that he shouldn't pay a price or suffer some consequences. What I am saying is that I look at DUI as a completely different class of offense than something like Breaking and Entering, or 1st degree robbery/burglary, or domestic abuse, or even possession of controlled substances.

When looking at crimes and determining a penalty for them, INTENT generally plays a big part. Did you INTEND to hit the guy or was it an accident ? Even if you did INTEND to do it, was there any malice or ill will ?

Or looking specifically at issues involving cars and driving, did you INTEND to run into that other car ? Or was it a case where you were just careless. Even in situations where it was due to being careless, how flagrant or reckless was that carelessness ?

Going back to the question I asked you about whether you had ever looked away from the road while driving down it at 40+ mph, it's one thing if you look away for 2 seconds to grab something off the passenger seat. However, if you were trying to read a book or watch a movie driving down the road, that would go way over the line and rise to the level of reckless disregard.

I guess you have never lost anyone to a drunk driver.Maybe you would take drunk driving a little more serious. Or maybe you were just kicked in the head by a mule and your brain dont work so well anymore.

And is still a straw man. But if you must ask, I stopped talking on the cell phone because I noticed a drop in my driving ability, I never text, period, let alone while driving and I rarely do anything other than drive. I might end up looking at a garmin 2-3 a year, but usually I map it out before hand and just blast the thing so I don't have to look.

Probably the only "legitimate" distraction is the radio, because I do sometimes sift through and grab a CD, but that is almost always done a lights or gas stations.

So, you have your answers. None of this really matters to the discussion at hand, but you have them nonetheless. :)

Thank you for finally answering the question. Based on your answers, I'd say that you are a very safe and cautious driver. I'd also wager that you are the exception to the norm from what I have seen in all my years of driving.

The point that I was making is that every day, you'll pass people on the road who are doing things that endanger other drivers to one degree or another. Other people root through their CD collections to find the disc they want while they are driving down the road. Or they'll look down and station hop the radio trying to find one that they like. In older days, it wasn't uncommon to see someone holding a map in their hand and to see them staring down at it. Today, it's pretty common to see people fiddling with their GPS units, again, while driving down the road.

In all these situations, people are engaging in distracted driving which studies have shown to be just as dangerous as driving with a Blood Alcohol level in the neighborhood of .08.

Thing is, if someone got in a wreck because they were indeed fiddling with their GPS, I don't think you or anyone else would hit a message board advocating that they be fired from their job (unless they happened to drive a bus or some other vehicle for a living).

Hernandez was released within 2 hours of his arrest.

You're right, but the rumor mill and initial invasion of privacy had been going on about a week for that. And this was a murder investigation... not a D.U.I. What it shows you is that the team did their due diligence first before making a decision. If Dennard gets released, I expect he'll get the same treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes